Reaction score
Sin$
tumblr_ovoaet3WSK1wwyemqo1_1280.jpg

Turtle wave

Turtle wave

Truth ent. Rgh support
Reaction score
Sin$
Just need a tap and dye set from local hardware or auto supply store. They go into the screw and let you get threaded screws out.

Of you can get a grip with pliers then you may be able to get it out. If you have to leave a screw missing when resembling make sure its not one that goes to the disc drive.

L

Luca24hr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Just need a tap and dye set from local hardware or auto supply store. They go into the screw and let you get threaded screws out.

Of you can get a grip with pliers then you may be able to get it out. If you have to leave a screw missing when resembling make sure its not one that goes to the disc drive.
could you recomend a good set

Turtle wave

Turtle wave

Truth ent. Rgh support
Reaction score
Sin$
could you recomend a good set
Shouldnt really matter brand wise. They do have different sizes though so make sure you get a set that will be small enough to go into your screw.

You could perhaps use adhesives (superglue) on the tip of your driver before putting it onto head of screw and let it dry so they are sealed together. This may let you get it out without purchasing extra equipment. The glue may break before it comes loose though just a side though.

Tap n dye set is usful thing to have for whenever a screw head gets (threaded) but perhaps the adhesive will work for you (got idea from when i had to weld onto a threaded lugnut to get it off :wink:

Turtle wave

Turtle wave

Truth ent. Rgh support
Reaction score
Sin$
Actually it doesn't
Once you flatten it out, the motherboard is easily removed
I've done this a hundred times
Even if you completly remove the head so you can get it apart now the screw is stuck and you will have at least one point that cannot be fastened ever again.

Not to mention not everybody should be using a grinder glue or tap set wont shoot sparks everywhere and you cant cut yourself open or cut into case by accident.

This is what tap n dye sets are made for lol. Using a grinder on your xbox should always be a last resort.

2liftheavy

2liftheavy

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Even if you completly remove the head so you can get it apart now the screw is stuck and you will have at least one point that cannot be fastened ever again.

Not to mention not everybody should be using a grinder glue or tap set wont shoot sparks everywhere and you cant cut yourself open or cut into case by accident.

This is what tap n dye sets are made for lol. Using a grinder on your xbox should always be a last resort.

Like i said, i've done 100's of these, and never once had an issue. I have actually done it. Have you?
None of the holes in the chassis are threaded. The hole is bigger than the threaded screw below the head. With that said, when you grind off the head, what happens?
You're basing it off your assumptions. It's always best to try things out for yourself vs what you heard, or your assumptions
Sparks won't kill you, and a grinding bit is not going to cut into the case. You'd have to try really really hard to cut into the case using a grinding bit. Good luck with that

Turtle wave

Turtle wave

Truth ent. Rgh support
Reaction score
Sin$
Like i said, i've done 100's of these, and never once had an issue. I have actually done it. Have you?
None of the holes in the chassis are threaded. The hole is bigger than the threaded screw below the head. With that said, when you grind off the head, what happens?
You're basing it off your assumptions. It's always best to try things out for yourself vs what you heard, or your assumptions
Sparks won't kill you, and a grinding bit is not going to cut into the case. You'd have to try really really hard to cut into the case using a grinding bit. Good luck with that
The screw will still be stuck and you will never be able to replace it with another leaving it unfastened for remaining life of the console.

Look if you want to debate with me then do it in a pm please dont flame on threads and yes im just as guilty because im replying to you as well.

As such this will be last reply to you. Like i said want to debate pm me its the appropriate place for it.

Newsk

Newsk

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Sorry have to say a tap and die set is for cutting threads . You can use it to chase threads to clean them up aswell but defInately not to remove screws.
I think what your meaning is a spiral screw extractor or a speed out bit.
Either way if u don't have a drill and speed out bit and have a spare heatsink laying around you can just replace the heatsink or even take the damaged bolt out of the heatsink and replace it .

TheWeekendModder

TheWeekendModder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Actually it doesn't
Once you flatten it out, the motherboard is easily removed
I've done this a hundred times

The screw will still be stuck and you will never be able to replace it with another leaving it unfastened for remaining life of the console.

Look if you want to debate with me then do it in a pm please dont flame on threads and yes im just as guilty because im replying to you as well.

As such this will be last reply to you. Like i said want to debate pm me its the appropriate place for it.

Nobody is flaming you - you are just wrong. You're entrenched in your position and didn't even respond to his question. Have you actually DONE what you're proposing? Or tried the dremel method? Because I have as well.

Just as 2liftheavy I have aslo removed numerous of those exact screws by dremelling off the head. The part that I don't think is clear to you is that these screws go through the metal chassis but actually anchor into some risors that then themselves screw into the heatsink. So once you dremel off the screw head you can then remove the mobo from the chassis and easily manipulate the remaining bit of screw out of the riser - or replace the riser entirely.

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
This is what happens when you use wrong size tips. If not snug, wrong size. You can use dremel to drill out the screw, use similar screws for size reference.

Drill a small hole in the middle to prep the screw for drilling, then continue with a bigger size tip.

TEIR1plus2

TEIR1plus2

VIP
VIP
Hidden Devils
Frame In Gold Programmer A Milli
Reaction score
Sin$
after you get the screw out, you can take one of the screws off the ROL board and use it as a replacement, they're the same screws on phats, I think on slims as well. You don't want to run it without the heatsink making full contact with the chip and the heatsink will make way better use of the screw than the ROL board. Its only on the ROL board to hold it in place and there are two others on the board doing that as well, taking one doesn't hurt it.

J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
Sin$
I've personally used a hand metal saw to cut a straight line through the head of the screw, sort of turning it into a flat-head screw. Then I just use a big flat-head screwdriver to unscrew it.