Random Freezes

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Calamity, Jan 25, 2009 with 8 replies and 114 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calamity

Calamity Script Kitty Retired

Ratings:
    I'm not sure why at all my computer does this, my normal programs are instant messaging, Ultramon x64 version, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox (It has froze with JUST this several times).

I also have Logitech Gamepanel, and SetPoint running all the time too.

My Temperatures for my computer components are perfectly fine other than the graphics card which is alot of the times 70 C, and I haven't even touched it (just installed etc..).

My CPU temperature is idle at 25-45 C, and most likely loads at no more than 60 C (I never get THAT much load on it).

I'm not sure what else to post, if you can help me, or I need to give more info, please let me know.

These are my computer Specs:
    Antec 1200 Full Tower Case
    EVGA 780i Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 2.83GHz @ 3.4GHz
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit Graphics
    Corsair 8GB DDR2 800 Memory
    Corsair 750W
    Zalman CNPS9700 110mm HSF
    Seagate 250GB/750GB 16mb Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
    LG dual layer DVD DVD Burner
    Dual LG LCD 19" Monitors
    Logitech G15 Gaming keyboard, Logitech G5 Gaming mouse
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

2. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    By freezing what do you mean? Is it where it will freeze for like 4-5 seconds and then reboot? Or just, won't function until you hard-reset it?

3. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    Until I hard reset on the case, like it'll freeze completely, and I'm pretty sure no viruses because it's only like a week old and I'm not stupid enough to download junk.

4. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    Update/Bump, I really need help, it is very irritating that my computer freezes every day and sometimes multiple times.

5. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Since it's a new build, it very well could be hardware related....

I would run a memtest to verify your RAM chips are fine.....it's an easy start. You might wanna try taking all but 1 stick out and work for a while, see if it happens, then alternate sticks and such to see if you can come up with a bad stick

Could also be power related I suppose. Check your cables and fans. Looks like you OC'd your processors too?

6. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    I'll try this, I wish it would tell me what is wrong haha..I was thinking it was my GFX, then again they say 280s get this hot.

Cables should be perfectly fine, but I will check and stuff, my processor OC is probably max it can go with this fan, but temps look fine.

7. itzmeluigi

itzmeluigi Premium Premium

Ratings:
    If your using the 2 side sata ports on the side of your motherboard try pushing them or try pushing the top of the 2 connectors down cause they tend to pull up over time. If that doesn't work try puting them in the other connectors. 2 of my 680i's have had this problem before.

8. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    Just checked them, I'd have to take the case and crap off for those side ports, they have slack with it too though so it should be fine.

Any other ideas? CPU Should be fine too..only OC'ed it .6 more GHz and people have gotten it to 4.

9. itzmeluigi

itzmeluigi Premium Premium

Ratings:
    hmm if ur using 4x2 gig sticks of ram remove 1 or 2 and see if it continues to freeze. cause some nvidia boards don't like having all the ram slots filled up.

your cpu/oc should be fine but if you cant find out whats causing the prob i would just set every at default.

if you can try another hard drive or get a like a 8gb flash drive with vista 64 on it and see if it still freezes. cause i've had a few seagate drives and all of them have died on me over time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.