RAINBOW SIX SIEGE – DESTRUCTION, FORTIFICATION AND OTHER MODES

Avery

Avery

YouTube//Avxry
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Greeter Chatty Kathy
Reaction score
Sin$
With the reveal of a brand-new, next-gen only Rainbow Six, of course everyone is talking. And everyone has questions. What will the gameplay be like? Why is it “next-gen”? What other modes will be in the game? Obviously the announce is still pretty fresh, so the development team are keeping some details to themselves for now, especially as the game is currently in pre-alpha and things are constantly changing. However, we managed to corner Game Designer Andrew Witts to pick his brain about the concept of destruction versus fortification, the “living hostage,” and other modes that might be featured in the game.

DF-and-H.jpg

DESTRUCTION
“The procedural destruction system makes up the core of the experience on both the attacker side and the defender side. The attackers can have breach charges, and they can have creativity in their destruction in terms of making new paths and new opportunities, and the defenders can really get creative in trapping or ambushing the attackers.

“So blowing a hole through a wall with a shotgun and having a new line-of-sight opportunity for your buddy or for you to kind of get the drop on the attackers coming up the stairs is something that we would never have been able to do on the previous generation of consoles. We’re stressing that as far as we can because it’s the center of the experience. The destruction is fully procedural and based on its materials. So when you blow up a wall that’s made of wood, it will splinter and break and be cut like a wood wall would be if you put a breach charge on it. The next-gen destruction system is really what brings us forward as far as gameplay goes.”

R6S_screen_ProceduralDestruction_e3_140609_4pm_14023485461.jpg

FORTIFICATION
“On the defense side, you have fortification tools. One is the wall reinforcement, which pretty much prevents that part of the wall from being completely destroyed. So the attackers can place breach charges on the wall and blow it, and it won’t actually take it down. That wall reinforcement will remain, so that you can’t break that piece of the wall down.

“They also have barricades. You place the barricades on the doorframe and windows to pretty much inhibit the attackers from going right in. They have to break it, which causes noise and it also makes people really question whether or not they want to even break it, because there might be a guy on the other side of it. It obscures the line of sight and kind of makes the attackers think more about what they want to do.

“And there’s the barbed wire, which slows people down and also creates noise. So if you place a barbed wire on the stairs or outside the hostage room and someone’s trying to get the hostage out, it will slow them down and give you time to react. If you hear the noise, you can figure out where exactly they are and try to ambush them. It can also give you that extra couple of seconds to catch up to the guy who might be trying to sneak the hostage out the back door.

R6S_screen_TheSiege_e3_140609_4pm_14023488501.jpg

“But the attackers have their own tools to work around the fortifications. They have observation tools, like a drone. They can place their drone camera someplace in the environment and come back to it later on. They can go, All right, I’m going to place my drone here and call out where the enemy fortifications are. So we have observation and fortification for the attack and defense. And for gadgets, we have breach charges, frag grenade, flash grenade on the attack side. On the defense side, we have the nitro cell, which is a C4, and a deployable shield, which is a big heavy shield you throw down.”

OTHER MODES AND THE HOSTAGE
“We know the single-player and co-op experiences are very important to Rainbow Six fans, and they’re very important to us too. We can’t say much, but what we can say is that they will definitely be a part of Rainbow Six Siege. We’re just not ready to give any more details on that at this time. For the reveal we just wanted to show the world our awesome Hostage Rescue multiplayer mode, our brand-new siege gameplay, and the incredible destruction at the center of the experience. We’ll be sharing plenty more information over the course of the year and into 2015.

“We also wanted to show off our amazing hostage. As you saw in the demo, she really is a living hostage. She reacts to the environment. If there’s a gunfight going on around her, she’s going to try to shield herself. She’s going to react to what’s going on. If there’s an attacker coming by, she might try to call out and say, Hey! I’m in here. Save me! And if there are explosions around her, she’ll protect herself from the explosion. She really reacts to what’s going on in the environment around her.

“Of course, it won’t only be female hostages. There will be both male and female hostages. I can’t say how many there will be in total, but we will definitely have both.”

R6S_screen_HostageRescue_e3_140609_4pm_14023484451.jpg

Source: http://blog.ubi.com/rainbow-six-siege-destruction-fortification-hostages/

Sobriquet

Sobriquet

Banned
Retired
Bright Idea End of the Year 2014 Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
“And there’s the barbed wire, which slows people down and also creates noise. So if you place a barbed wire on the stairs or outside the hostage room and someone’s trying to get the hostage out, it will slow them down and give you time to react. If you hear the noise, you can figure out where exactly they are and try to ambush them. It can also give you that extra couple of seconds to catch up to the guy who might be trying to sneak the hostage out the back door.

I can see that being really ****ing annoying and OP as ****.

Still looking forward to this so much.

Avery

Avery

YouTube//Avxry
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I can see that being really ****ing annoying and OP as ****.

Still looking forward to this so much.
I'll say this, the game will be very frustrating at some points. Especially online.

Sobriquet

Sobriquet

Banned
Retired
Bright Idea End of the Year 2014 Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I'll say this, the game will be very frustrating at some points. Especially online.
Indeed. Seems like there will be a lot of wank tactics that people will exploit, but hopefully they're easily countered.

Avery

Avery

YouTube//Avxry
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Indeed. Seems like there will be a lot of wank tactics that people will exploit, but hopefully they're easily countered.
Very true. If you are out numbered I feel like it's an instant loss and from the looks of the trailer if you are in the house and that one guy just blew up the floor and dropped down, you're basically screwed.

Top Bottom
Login
Register