quick external hard drive question

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by Exiliance, Feb 4, 2010 with 11 replies and 192 views.

1. Exiliance

Exiliance Enthusiast

Ratings:
    so i'm thinking about purchasing a 2tb external hard drive, i've never had one before, and i was just had a few questions.

If you put, say a tv episode onto the external drive would you just be able to plug the usb into the computer, and watch it WITHOUT transfering it back to the computer. Or would you have to transfer the tv show back to the computer to watch it?

And if i were to put tv show on it would i be able to plug the hard drive into my xbox 360 and watch them there?

THANKS for the help

2. modz4bud

modz4bud Enthusiast

Ratings:
    If it couldn't do what you just said.. it would pretty much defeat the purpose of being an external hard drive. It's essentially the exact same thing as a hard drive.. only its not in your case. So with that being said.. YES. You can just plug the external hard drive in and double click your "episode" and watch it right there without having to transfer anything back on to your main hard drive. However, as soon as you unplug the external hard drive.. anything from it that isn't saved to your main hard drive will disappear until you plug it back in.

And i have no clue about the Xbox360 thing.. but im guessing you probably could. I know you can for music.. but i don't know about videos.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Regarding the 360 thing, I'm not 100% sure, but seeing as how I can plug in a USB stick and play music off of it, I'd think video would work too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    Exiliance

Exiliance Enthusiast

Ratings:
    thanks guys! i was just makeing sure this was true before i went out to spend $200 :thumbup::thumbup:

5. Madman340

Ratings:
    Here's a decent one for $170.
    [Click here to view the link]

Although 2TB is pretty excessive, are you sure you wouldn't be satisfied by just a 1TB? Those are MUUUUCH cheaper and most likely will never be filled up.

6. OP
    Exiliance

Exiliance Enthusiast

Ratings:
    nah i want 2tb not only to have plenty of tv shows and (hacked) steam games, but i might want to make a website hosted by me sometime in the future...

7. modz4bud

modz4bud Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Glad we could help. However, i don't think hosting a site on your own network is a smart idea. JMO though..

8. Madman340

Ratings:
  9. modz4bud

modz4bud Enthusiast

Ratings:
    That's what i was trying to say.. :tongue:

Great hosting: lunarshells.com xzibition.com or joinvps.com

They all have great service and have cheap hosting solutions.

10. Madman340

Ratings:
    I've been hosting with Bluehost for nearly 2 years now, the only problems I've had were user-error. :tongue:

11. OP
    Exiliance

Exiliance Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Oh you got a site, whats its name?

12. Madman340

Ratings:
    Not allowed to post them, but I think it would suffice to say I have a few random domains, many of which aren't functional from lack of interest. The rest are just your regular random unheard-of sites.