What's new

Solved Questions about modding my old phat 360 with a xenon motherboard

M

moofwoogle

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting myself a modded 360, and I currently have a phat model with the xenon motherboard and dashboard 17150. It's already had the RROD once and I sent it in to be repaired I think back in 2009. I have no interest in playing online -- just playing downloaded games and content on the console's hard drive.

I'm an old hat when it comes to modding original Xbox's, but I'm still a newb with 360s. I have some questions about whether it's worth modding this thing. I've done as much research as I could by searching around the internet and these forums, reading the FAQs, and so on. But I found a lot of contradictory information so I'm confused on some points, and I apologize if I end up asking a question that seems obvious.

1. Will the boot times on this console be really bad with an RGH mod? Or does RGH 1.2 address that?

2. Is it worth modding this console regardless? I ask because I hear that this motherboard has a high fatality rate even after being serviced, and I may end up spending a bunch of time and/or money modding a soon-to-be dead console. Maybe it's better to just get a newer slim?

3. This console has its original small hard drive, and I'd like to upgrade it to something larger (assuming I don't just get a new console anyway). But I have a bunch of saves and DLC on it currently that I want to keep. Would I need to transfer this data to a new drive before or after it's modded, or does it matter either way?

I appreciate any advice you folks can give me!

N

Noobert

RGH/Flashing Support
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting myself a modded 360, and I currently have a phat model with the xenon motherboard and dashboard 17150. It's already had the RROD once and I sent it in to be repaired I think back in 2009. I have no interest in playing online -- just playing downloaded games and content on the console's hard drive.

I'm an old hat when it comes to modding original Xbox's, but I'm still a newb with 360s. I have some questions about whether it's worth modding this thing. I've done as much research as I could by searching around the internet and these forums, reading the FAQs, and so on. But I found a lot of contradictory information so I'm confused on some points, and I apologize if I end up asking a question that seems obvious.

1. Will the boot times on this console be really bad with an RGH mod? Or does RGH 1.2 address that?

2. Is it worth modding this console regardless? I ask because I hear that this motherboard has a high fatality rate even after being serviced, and I may end up spending a bunch of time and/or money modding a soon-to-be dead console. Maybe it's better to just get a newer slim?

3. This console has its original small hard drive, and I'd like to upgrade it to something larger (assuming I don't just get a new console anyway). But I have a bunch of saves and DLC on it currently that I want to keep. Would I need to transfer this data to a new drive before or after it's modded, or does it matter either way?

I appreciate any advice you folks can give me!
  1. With Xenons and Zephyrs, it's extremely hit or miss.
    You can get a Instaboot - 10 seconds, you can get 30 seconds, you can get a minute or longer, or it just won't work.
    It's just such a toss up, especially with the motherboard you'd be working with.
  2. If I was in your shoes, I'd just get a used Jasper or a Trinity Slim.
    Xenons are very picky on if they want to work.
  3. You can get a bigger one, and transfer all your data.
    Here's an extremely well written tutorial on how to do so:
    [Click here to view this link]

M

moofwoogle

Reaction score
  1. With Xenons and Zephyrs, it's extremely hit or miss.
    You can get a Instaboot - 10 seconds, you can get 30 seconds, you can get a minute or longer, or it just won't work.
    It's just such a toss up, especially with the motherboard you'd be working with.
So the more I'm looking into this, the more I'm thinking I would just send away my 360 to a professional modder rather than doing it myself, if I choose to mod it. Given all of the equipment I'd need and don't have, it'd end up being pretty similar in cost anyway.

Will a pro modder be able to get consistently fast boots out of an old Xenon motherboard, or is the length of time it takes to boot up something that's always unavoidable?

If I was in your shoes, I'd just get a used Jasper or a Trinity Slim.
I'm strongly considering that too, especially since I could buy one pre-modded from a reputable seller here.... though it is a fair deal more money.

In that case, could I just use a flash drive to transfer the data from my old 360?

Top Bottom