• Start date
  • Views 2,204
Squarees

Squarees

Man of the year
Reaction score
Sin$
Destiny-640x353.jpeg

A few days ago, the Destiny beta finally made its way to the Xbox One and Xbox 360. It launched on the PS4 and PS3 earlier in the month, but now we can get a good look at the beta running on both of the current generation consoles. It’s no surprise that the last-gen versions are noticeably uglier, but how does the 900p Xbox One version stack up to the beta running at 1080p on the PS4?

The folks over at Eurogamer have dissected the visuals from both the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the beta, and the results are surprisingly positive. While the lower resolution is definitely noticeable on the Xbox One, everything else looks pretty much exactly the same as the PS4 version. Both versions are locked at 30fps, and the shaders and effects are basically identical. When you consider that Bungie is promising that the Xbox One version will ship at 1080p, it seems that the finished product will be nearly indistinguishable on the current-gen machines.

We’ll have to wait until September to see if Bungie can deliver on its promise of 1080p on both platforms, but does it really matter one way or the other? I’ve played the demo at 1080p on my TV, at 540p on the PlayStation Vita, and at 720p with the PS3 version. Truth be told, it’s completely playable regardless of the total number of pixels on display. It’s definitely a lot prettier at 1080p, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference in terms of gameplay. Personally, using the Dualshock 3 on the PS3 (as opposed to the DualShock 4 on the PS4) felt like a much bigger issue than the drop in the total number of pixels on screen.

As you can see in the comparison above, the difference between 900p and 1080p inDestiny is noticeable, but ultimately a minor detail. The PS4 beta is undoubtedly the superior version, but only slightly. Unless you’re going back and forth between the PS4 andXbox One, you probably won’t even notice the difference. Xbox fans can rest easy knowing that the game is going to look gorgeous regardless of the platform.

Most assuredly, forum denizens will complain even if both versions are identical. They’ll complain that the graphical parity is proof that the PS4 version was “downgraded” to prop up the underpowered Xbox One. Don’t listen to any of that noise, though. I’ve spent hours playing the game on the PS4, and it looks beautiful from tip to tail. If that’s what a “downgraded” game is supposed to look like in 2014, you can nominate me for president of the “downgrade” fan club.

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
MotM End of the Year 2014 Trifecta
Reaction score
Sin$
Imo, the ps 4 version imo is better and the higher resolution difference is very clear. 900p looks like **** imo, classic blurry upscaled situation.

Using the gif alone, its not barely imo, its a **** ton better on ps4

S7 Pro

S7 Pro

Seasoned Member
Modder Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
Well Bungie stated that the new XOne SDK will allow them to upscale it to 1080p, which I can guarantee can happen with the 10% more resources given to games.

S

Sketch342

Reaction score
Sin$
It looks like the XO's graphics version looks blurred. When I played the beta, it wasn't blurred or looking like that. Maybe a little contrast but that looks a little bit altered.

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
MotM End of the Year 2014 Trifecta
Reaction score
Sin$
It looks like the XO's graphics version looks blurred. When I played the beta, it wasn't blurred or looking like that. Maybe a little contrast but that looks a little bit altered.

Thats what happends when you upscale resolutions..

Keysnsamples

Keysnsamples

Stuff n Thangs
Retired
Fabled Veteran Greeter Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
Imo, the ps 4 version imo is better and the higher resolution difference is very clear. 900p looks like **** imo, classic blurry upscaled situation.

Using the gif alone, its not barely imo, its a **** ton better on ps4

Beta is only 720p on Xbox One. 1080p at launch though.

Last edited:
C

Collateral22

I hate fanboys.
Forum Addict Hardened Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
1080p on XB1 will probably lack certain affects to it though. Similar with Sniper Elite 3, where the shadows on even the PS3 version were superior.

D

Decayse

Stand on guard for thee
Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Honestly, I'm not gonna lie, both look identical to me. I brought my Xbox to a friends place which he had a PS4, and side by side they looked identical and that blurring is exaggerated. On my Xbox there's absolutely no blurring like that.

Spooze

Spooze

Xbox Achievement Whore
Retired
Mythical Veteran Fabled Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
I've been playing it on the Xbone as well and it's not blurry at all. That gif is so fake. I played it on both systems and the game looks gorgeous on both.

T3DDY_173

T3DDY_173

the official T3DDY
Hardened Veteran Frame In Gold Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Honestly, I'm not gonna lie, both look identical to me. I brought my Xbox to a friends place which he had a PS4, and side by side they looked identical and that blurring is exaggerated. On my Xbox there's absolutely no blurring like that.

u probably wont notice the difference if its not on 1 screen ... (like on this post, its a gif that changes while u not moving ur eyes) 
I've been playing it on the Xbone as well and it's not blurry at all. That gif is so fake. I played it on both systems and the game looks gorgeous on both.

as said in the post 'The PS4 beta is undoubtedly the superior version, but only slightly. Unless you’re going back and forth between the PS4 andXbox One, you probably won’t even notice the difference.'

D

Decayse

Stand on guard for thee
Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
u probably wont notice the difference if its not on 1 screen ... (like on this post, its a gif that changes while u not moving ur eyes) 

as said in the post 'The PS4 beta is undoubtedly the superior version, but only slightly. Unless you’re going back and forth between the PS4 andXbox One, you probably won’t even notice the difference.'
We were. We had boths consoles set up to the same TV and we were changing sources from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 and back and forth. The .gif is fake. You guys are just looking for something to start a war with. The game looks identical. In fact me and my friend agreed the Xbox version had better colours.

T3DDY_173

T3DDY_173

the official T3DDY
Hardened Veteran Frame In Gold Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
We were. We had boths consoles set up to the same TV and we were changing sources from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 and back and forth. The .gif is fake. You guys are just looking for something to start a war with. The game looks identical. In fact me and my friend agreed the Xbox version had better colours.

better colours ?
maybe the channels were different.
also the colours dont matter, it needs to be spot on.
also im not starting a war, im just sayin.

Spooze

Spooze

Xbox Achievement Whore
Retired
Mythical Veteran Fabled Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm sure the PS4 looks a little better, but I'm just ticked off at the gif. The xbone version looks nothing like that.

Top Bottom
Login
Register