What's new

Solved PS4 air flow?

Pximal

Pximal

Getting There
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Had issues with my PS4 getting too hot so I decided to clean it out and change the thermal paste (paste was pretty old, I’m 80% sure it was just factory paste) bought it second hand as I needed a second console. Cleaned all the dust out of the heatsink and every where else in between, then cleaned the paste and reapplied the new compound.
But now the PlayStation is blowing cold air out of the side where the fan is located, but still getting hot at the rear near the power supply and on the top around where the APU would be. Is that normal after repasting?

Last edited:
TheMoneyLobby

TheMoneyLobby

#1 GTA V Lobbies
Hidden Devils
Programmer Modder Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$
I would check the thermal compound. It happens to my PS4 I just replied then got a air canister and got rid of all the dust particles and made sure it was near a window. As sometimes the temp gage can break so the fan is on full power all the time. But nice :smile:

Pximal

Pximal

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
I would check the thermal compound. It happens to my PS4 I just replied then got a air canister and got rid of all the dust particles and made sure it was near a window. As sometimes the temp gage can break so the fan is on full power all the time. But nice :smile:
Oh... I’ve already cleared all the dust and replaced the thermal compound, I was just wondering if it was normal for cold air to be coming out of the side where the fan is.. heat is still being dispersed from the rear but I assumed the air where the fan is should be pulling in cold air? Rather than pushing it out, I’ve left my PlayStation on over night on CoD a few times and nothing has happened so far.

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
MotM 10th Anniversary Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Oh... I’ve already cleared all the dust and replaced the thermal compound, I was just wondering if it was normal for cold air to be coming out of the side where the fan is.. heat is still being dispersed from the rear but I assumed the air where the fan is should be pulling in cold air? Rather than pushing it out, I’ve left my PlayStation on over night on CoD a few times and nothing has happened so far.
The fan will pull air from the sides as well as the top, this is by design in most consoles.
As long as you used some good thermal paste and applied it correctly (a small pea sized dot in the centre of the chip), it will be fine.

Pximal

Pximal

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
The fan will pull air from the sides as well as the top, this is by design in most consoles.
As long as you used some good thermal paste and applied it correctly (a small pea sized dot in the centre of the chip), it will be fine.
Thanks for that, it’s been fine since I asked this question anyway. Think I just over thought it. Thanks again!

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$

spread method is the best application method and guarantees 100% thermal paste coverage and also reduces wasted material.

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
MotM 10th Anniversary Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
spread method is the best application method and guarantees 100% thermal paste coverage and also reduces wasted material.
What.
Spread doesn't cover the DIE correctly. by dropping a pea on the dead centre and letting the heatsink spread it out when you clamp it down, it locks the paste in and pushes it to the die. Only time this differs is on threadripper.

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
What.
Spread doesn't cover the DIE correctly. by dropping a pea on the dead centre and letting the heatsink spread it out when you clamp it down, it locks the paste in and pushes it to the die. Only time this differs is on threadripper.

it does cover correctly with less excess paste wasted. you should try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register