- Thermal Paste

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Fluxing PS3 BGA's+ Clamp Bending!
Seeing as the newer slims do not get YLOD, I have not included video for slim YLOD fixes because they do not get them. All credit to Gilksy. Use this at your own risk. Have the money? Buy a slim and save yourself the trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enckem

Enckem

You shall not think!
VIP
Retired
MotM Mythical Veteran Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
I would like to warn the people who think that the Hair Dryer fix is cheaper and easier than this:

Although it is cheaper and easier, the 'Hair Dryer fix' is not a definite fix, it is a temporary fix.
The solders used on the circuit boards only melt at 250-300 degrees, so the only way to actually melt them and re-solder them is with a heat gun, and the only way you can be 100% sure you will fix it is by following this guide, or by sending it in for repair (If they don't charge you more than they would charge you for a new PS3).

P

pippin48

Reaction score
Also, be VERY careful with heatguns around electrical boards, they weren't made to do that, they are just being used for the job

qaadka

qaadka

Se7en Elite
Reaction score
I would've gotten a slim but I'm too poor :>

RileyHayes

Swift9lives

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does this fix the red light sorry i know nothing of the ps3. Im more of an xbox guy :tongue:

Gnarles

Gnarles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, I was surprised this works. I did not think that heating the chips for only 15-20 seconds would work. However, it did for me.

Now I just have to properly downgrade this thing. <_<

V

-vietboi155-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heat gun :o be careful using this method. i do not know much about ps3s but for xboxs that makes the chip in a much worse condition

D

dan9281

Reaction score
hi thanks, this worked the only problem is none of the usb ports dont work which means i cant sync the controller?

Any help please??

p.s controller did not come with ps3

8martin5

8martin5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you get a tutorial for the ps3 slim, had one come to me today thats got YLOD. thanks

B

Lex Luthor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is this a perma fix? or is it better to send it in and get reballed?

xcashmoneyx7

xcashmoneyx7

Retired
Retired
Legendary Veteran Stickied Modder
Reaction score
So is this a perma fix? or is it better to send it in and get reballed?
Sending it in is probably the safer bet, unless you are comfortable working inside of your PS3.

B

Lex Luthor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sending it in is probably the safer bet, unless you are comfortable working inside of your PS3.
Ya i thought so well i've had in my closet now for about a month or 2 just waiting to get money to send it in!

xcashmoneyx7

xcashmoneyx7

Retired
Retired
Legendary Veteran Stickied Modder
Reaction score
Ya i thought so well i've had in my closet now for about a month or 2 just waiting to get money to send it in!
Good deal. They should be able to fix it no problem.

sand1303

sand1303

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was at a goodwill the other day and they had a **** ton of fat xbox's with rrod. all marked not working/rrod. they are just stacked up for 10 dollars a pop.they also had a fat ps3 and a slim ps3 fat said ylod slim said works/no video. so i grabbed the slim. is the glod the exact same fix as the ylod? i took the clamps off bent them slightly and put artic silver but no go with video still

M

modz805

Reaction score
I always laugh when i see heat gun videos

sand1303

sand1303

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was at a goodwill the other day and they had a **** ton of fat xbox's with rrod. all marked not working/rrod. they are just stacked up for 10 dollars a pop.they also had a fat ps3 and a slim ps3 fat said ylod slim said works/no video. so i grabbed the slim. is the glod the exact same fix as the ylod? i took the clamps off bent them slightly and put artic silver but no go with video still

haha, i did the exact same thing. got a slim 2001a said the exact same thing at goodwill.

works-no video

it was 30 and it had a 160 gig hard drive in it so i was more than happy to gamble on it. i took it all apart and re heated everything put artic silver on when i turned it back on same thing. i think when this happens the gpu is gone. it still sits under my desk next to the rrod xbox i have. i was able to fix the xenon xbox my bud gave me using this method though.

Luis Palibre

Luis Palibre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have PS3 Slim and got YLOD. Is there any way fixing it?

S

Spawn1997

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did it twice and finally gave up... got a slim and i just make sure to keep it clean and ventilated

turdbundy

turdbundy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
USE A LITTLE TOASTER OVEN! 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Open the door and let it air out for an hour. It's never failed me.

Top Bottom