What's new

Question PS3 Slim Linux

NoloConosco

NoloConosco

Reaction score
Sin$
So I recently tried to RGH my XBOX 360 so I can install Linux but I have hand tremors and am on my third soldering round. One of my friends noticed my pursuit to run unsigned code on my console and donated a broken PS3 Slim he found in a bag on the side of the road a couple of years ago. I got the PS3 working again but am new to the Sony faction and having trouble finding exactly what steps I should be taking to install Linux on my PS3 Slim.

I know that the Firmware update in the FAT model killed "Other OS" and the feature never made it to Slim but I have seen countless posts/articles about jailbreaks, USB dongle boots and CFWs as well as other exploits but none really specifically explaining how to install Linux. Also, I don't know which rabbit hole to go down because I don't know who Rogero is (joke [but seriously-]).

I was hoping someone could either point me to the proper thread or let me know if it's even possible with my current Playstation Type-

• PS3 Slim
  • CECH- 21018
  • FW- 4.46
  • 250GB

That is all I currently know about the machine. Please let me know if you have any further spec questions and I would be happy to post them.

My goal is to be able to run a stable version of Yellow Dog Linux if possible. I do not want to use the machine for gaming

Update:
Do I have to downgrade to a Firmware before 3.21? Is that possible with my type?

Does that entail Jailbreaking? Am I close?

Update 2:
Update Data Version of 3.20 or later can be installed on this system. (8002f967)

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register