Question PS3 shuts down, beeps then no lights

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
So this PS3 of mine will shutdown randomly at times (usually after about 3 minutes of being on.) then will beep 3 times slowly then no lights are on on the console.

Any ideas?

Pianist Prodigy

Pianist Prodigy

Retired
Retired
Legendary Veteran MotM Contest Sponsor
Reaction score
Sin$
So this PS3 of mine will shutdown randomly at times (usually after about 3 minutes of being on.) then will beep 3 times slowly then no lights are on on the console.

Any ideas?
Is it the super slim, fat or just slim PS3?

Kinda sound like the yellow light of death. Try this. Turn off the console. Unplug it for for a few seconds. Plug it back in. Turn it on.

Now when you push the power button, watch the lights. You should see the lights flash yellow, then blink red. If so, you have the yellow light of death.

Also, it could be the thermal paste. The motherboard could possibly be overheating soon causing a shortage if that's the case. So you may need to replace the thermal paste.

This is good detail tutorial to replacing thermal paste on the motherboard of the PS3, besides all of his tutorial are all great.

How to take apart of the PS3 detail tutorial

Last edited:
Z61

Z61

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Is it the super slim, fat or just slim PS3?

Kinda sound like the yellow light of death. Try this. Turn off the console. Unplug it for for a few seconds. Plug it back in. Turn it on.

Now when you push the power button, watch the lights. You should see the lights flash yellow, then blink red. If so, you have the yellow light of death.

Also, it could be the thermal paste. The motherboard could possibly be overheating soon causing a shortage if that's the case. So you may need to replace the thermal paste.

This is good detail tutorial to replacing thermal paste on the motherboard of the PS3, besides all of his tutorial are all great.

How to take apart of the PS3 detail tutorial

I got it to boot further, apparently the fan isn't working at all, so I'm gonna have to replace it.

Pianist Prodigy

Pianist Prodigy

Retired
Retired
Legendary Veteran MotM Contest Sponsor
Reaction score
Sin$
I got it to boot further, apparently the fan isn't working at all, so I'm gonna have to replace it.
Yeah do that, and I still think the thermal paste need to be replace too. Also, because it isn't YLOD (Yellow Light Of Death).

Z61

Z61

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah do that, and I still think the thermal paste need to be replace too. Also, because it isn't YLOD (Yellow Light Of Death).
I had left my friend mess with it and he had already replaced the thermal paste. At the time, he also claimed the fan worked, but it might be obstructed or something.

Z61

Z61

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
As an update, I got it open and now upon startup the fan will do a couple of cycles then stop, causing it to overheat later on. Any ideas?

DDUk

DDUk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Dude is the fan plugged in... sounds daft i know but ive seen it done before. And that will cause the fan to do what u just described

Z61

Z61

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Dude is the fan plugged in... sounds daft i know but ive seen it done before. And that will cause the fan to do what u just described
It will cause it to startup then stop soon after? Starting up give it away that it has some power.

DDUk

DDUk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Dont ask why, but the fan will spin for a second or 2 before it realises it has no power. Ive seen it personally happen. 10 mins later you will get triple beep and it shuts down. Is it a slim??

Z61

Z61

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Dont ask why, but the fan will spin for a second or 2 before it realises it has no power. Ive seen it personally happen. 10 mins later you will get triple beep and it shuts down. Is it a slim??
That's very odd, also no it's a phat.

DDUk

DDUk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I had left my friend mess with it and he had already replaced the thermal paste. At the time, he also claimed the fan worked, but it might be obstructed or something.

My money says he missed the plug (or broke it). Are you confident to disadsemblr the machine and take a look?

Z61

Z61

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
My money says he missed the plug (or broke it). Are you confident to disadsemblr the machine and take a look?
My buddy's gonna come by this weekend and I'll have him look into it, thanks for the suggestions, friend.

Top Bottom
Login
Register