What's new

Discussion Proof of Zer0's gender and backstory.

• Thread starter vTemporalZEROv
  • Start date
  • Views 19,353
V

vTemporalZEROv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Through reading this quote from the gearbox community page about the new Moxxi DLC coming out the 11th;

"Like all of our previous Headhunter add-ons, once you beat the final enemy, you’ll get a new head and skin for each character class. This time the heads are a little more graphic. With these new heads, you’ll also get an inside look at the Vault Hunters, especially Zer0… though it should be said that his new head is named “N0t C4n0n” for a reason."

; If you read the quote, they specifically say, and it is heard in-game as well, that HE is a HE, most people know this, some do not, that is why I am posting this, Zer0 is a male, or is supposed to be based off a male, and looking at his new head, "Not C4n0n", HE IS DEFINITELY A ROBOT, NOT AN ALIEN as a ton of people believe, nor is he a cyborg, he is an android/robot, and this can be totally verified by looking at his shattered face mask and seeing his brain/eye, as seen in this picture:

https://gearboxsoftwarecom.s3.amazo.../5e3311bbb5e21eeff991d08a14b78c2031050b91.jpg

I also do not believe he was made by hyperion though either, as he is mat black, contains no hyperion colors or logos, not boxy like hyperion style bots, and does not fight along side hyperion, hyperion would not try to kill him, and the hyp-o-bots would recognize him, even being an assassin or vault hunter. So it is still unknown where he came from, but he is definitely robotic, and not hyperion.

F

fathom7411

Reaction score
Through reading this quote from the gearbox community page about the new Moxxi DLC coming out the 11th;

"Like all of our previous Headhunter add-ons, once you beat the final enemy, you’ll get a new head and skin for each character class. This time the heads are a little more graphic. With these new heads, you’ll also get an inside look at the Vault Hunters, especially Zer0… though it should be said that his new head is named “N0t C4n0n” for a reason."

; If you read the quote, they specifically say, and it is heard in-game as well, that HE is a HE, most people know this, some do not, that is why I am posting this, Zer0 is a male, or is supposed to be based off a male, and looking at his new head, "Not C4n0n", HE IS DEFINITELY A ROBOT, NOT AN ALIEN as a ton of people believe, nor is he a cyborg, he is an android/robot, and this can be totally verified by looking at his shattered face mask and seeing his brain/eye, as seen in this picture:

https://gearboxsoftwarecom.s3.amazo.../5e3311bbb5e21eeff991d08a14b78c2031050b91.jpg

I also do not believe he was made by hyperion though either, as he is mat black, contains no hyperion colors or logos, not boxy like hyperion style bots, and does not fight along side hyperion, hyperion would not try to kill him, and the hyp-o-bots would recognize him, even being an assassin or vault hunter. So it is still unknown where he came from, but he is definitely robotic, and not hyperion.
I honestly didn't even go that far into a theory behind the heads. Especially after seeing the name "Not C4n0n" as in Not Canon". I took that as the head is just created because of that pack and means nothing official for Zer0's storyline. I prefer not to know an origin or if he is a robot or alien. It is kind of like when people were guessing the origin of Boba Fett for years. Then Lucas puts it in the films and it was kind of a let down. Regardless, thanks for the theory.

V

vTemporalZEROv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Boba was a let down..kind of lame, but yeah I like that stuff, I'm glad they didn't expose his whole identity though

S

SharpGhost

Reach for the Stars
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
The head isn't canon. Gearbox hasn't officially stated his gender either. All because they say "he" doesn't mean he's necessarily a male. As far as I know, the only real hints that could help identify Zero's actual identity are in his Echo's in Sawtooth Cauldron, the Echo he starts out with, and subtle hints throughout the game.

If I had to guess as to what he is, I feel he isn't even human and may instead either be robotic or semi-robotic. Just the figure of his body, his visor, and way he speaks (it is almost always in Haiku.) His past is incredibly shady. All you can really infer is that he was once involved in assassinations of political figures which would either make him a rebel or pay for hire type of person, and that after a while his associations with these types of tasks bored him and he sought to undertake something that would give him a challenge.

As the others have said, it'd be best if they never revealed Zero's actual identity especially if they have plans on including him as a minor or major character in sequels. The mystery around Zero makes him an unique character.

C

Cassius_Clizzle

Reaction score
If you look into Mordecai's backstory from Borderlands, it states he went to Pandora to look for a man named "Yujinny." This man was later discovered by Mordecai to be dead. I find it interesting that the name Yujinny sounds awfully Japanese to me. And wouldn't you know it, Zero speaks in Haiku. Hmmm...
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=86497

V

VinylicPuma3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look into Mordecai's backstory from Borderlands, it states he went to Pandora to look for a man named "Yujinny." This man was later discovered by Mordecai to be dead. I find it interesting that the name Yujinny sounds awfully Japanese to me. And wouldn't you know it, Zero speaks in Haiku. Hmmm...
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=86497
I'm really excited to see how they do all of the current vault hunter narration in Borderlands 3. It'll be cool to hear each of them speak in Dialogue and give out quests. Plus it'll be cool to hear Zero interact with Mordecai, Salvador interact with Brick and Maya interact with Lilith.

H

Hawkman

The Winged Warrior!
Reaction score
Yes It Will Be Cool And I Think Borderlands Has An Official Name Now... "Borderworlds" And Also It Might Be Released In 2015. But Hey How Would I Know. :wink:

C

CanadianSpYrO

Reaction score
Zero is not a robot, this is why the head is called "Not C4n0n" personally I believe he is a alien or even stalker hybrid of sorts but definitely not a robot or cyborg.

A

Akkoooo

Reaction score
What about a eridium experiment hybrid?

W

Walteri

It is the power of the mind to be unconquerable.
Reaction score
Since we're on the line of necroing threads, the name of the head is "not canon" which if you're not aware means not part in "official" story.
Also because there's no gender-neutral word for a 2nd person (he/she), Gearbox just has to call it either one. And "it" isn't an option for what should be obvious reasons. Odds are we'll never know what Zer0 really is unless if Gearbox decides to specifically tell us. They wont do it by mistake.
But for anyone interested, there is a theory that Zer0 is a grey alien.

G

GrayRat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well no matter how many play throughs of the Borderlands 1 and 2 I do, I always find myself playing as the sirens. I tried a play through with Zero, but quit after 2 hours. I could not play as any other character.
But thanks for the lore, its always interesting to know the back stories behind characters.

Top Bottom