What's new

Solved "Project Muffin" damages the southbridge?

• Thread starter Seeburschbanause
  • Start date
  • Views 244
S

Seeburschbanause

Reaction score
I saw some comments on r/360hacks saying that the muffin install damages the southbridge. I never saw someone experiencing this issue. I'm quite scared to ruin my console. I RGH'd it (with muffin install of course) a month ago and I haven't experienced any issues with it yet. Can someone confirm this?

N

Nvia33771

Reaction score
I haven't experienced this but others have reported this. I would recommend opting for the x360 ace. I have used many of the V3 models without issue in both Trinity and Corona's. The stock timing file provides great boot times for Corona's.

R

Risking Perfect

Xbox 360 Tech Support
Staff
Premium
Reaction score
I have only done 2 muffin installs and have a 50/50 rating on them, one works fine to this day, and the guy who owns it is extremely happy. The other one was not so lucky and was DOA when it got back to me for repairs.

X

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Premium
Reaction score
I saw some comments on r/360hacks saying that the muffin install damages the southbridge. I never saw someone experiencing this issue. I'm quite scared to ruin my console. I RGH'd it (with muffin install of course) a month ago and I haven't experienced any issues with it yet. Can someone confirm this?
Rumor has it, yes. However I have done most of my recent installs using the "Muffin" timing method and have had no issues. The only issue I had was with some x360 Ace chips that were dead on arrival.
I am currently running a Muffin + Viper Dual nand mod with a NandPro wired in permanently on a switch, and I have not had any issues in the 6 months I've had the console.

I strongly believe it's down to wiring and ensuring you're using the right points. If you're cautious, you can add resistors to CPU_RST etc to help trim the signals, which is often the cause of a mod gone wrong.

You have to remember here: RGH uses a timing attack on the console, thus in theory it could lead to reduced life on the CPU/Southbridge where you're stressing the components trying to glitch successfully. This however would only reign true if the console had a really aggressive timing and was used heavily. (And by heavily I mean you'd have to turn the console on and off, glitch successfully hundreds of times a week)

Top Bottom