What's new

Programming Resources - Which language is for me? (Tutorials, Compilers, Beginner Questions)

• Thread starter Calamity
  • Start date
  • Views 72,073
Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Programming Resources - Tutorials & Compilers
We have compiled the best and latest resources for a variety of programming and scripting languages. If your new to programming, we have provided a general programming information section for you to get started on your journey. For the others out their who are looking to expand their knowledge, we have broken each language in to different sections. Within each section you will find a plethora of external links and resources. Some section will have embedded video tutorials for your ease of use. We thank you for participating and wish you good luck on your road path to computer programming.

General Programming FAQ
What is a compiler or IDE?
A compiler simply translates "human" source code into machine code that the machine understands. An IDE means Integrated development environment, it is an enhanced and advanced compiler to help coders out, rather than typing all of the code into something along the lines of notepad.

What compiler/IDE should I use?
If you're using C++, C#, or Visual Basic, I would go ahead and recommend the Visual Studio product, as it is widely used for all of them. Otherwise which compiler is mainly preference. I learned C++ using Dev C++ as it's great for beginners. Java I used JCreator as that is what I used in my class, but you can always use others.

What language should I learn?
The language you choose to learn should closely match your intentions of learn it, such as windows applications development and or video game development or even web development.
  • For building windows applications, I would suggest C-Sharp (C#) or Visual Basic (VB). Both of these languages are considered to be Rapid Application Development (RAD) languages.
  • If your goal is to build video games on a commercial level, C++ would be the most appropriate language. Visual C-Sharp is capable of video game development as well and is picking up speed in the commercial business.
  • For cross platform-ability you may want to consider Java. Much like the C-Sharp and Visual Basic, Java is based around an Object Oriented Programming structure (OOP).
Help! I can't understand any of this!!!
I will not be surprised by someone saying this. Learning a language takes loads of time, It has personally taken me over 6 months to fully understand how coding works, and I have yet to learn just a small fraction out there (it's never ending). However, most people aren't going to be doing this 5+ hours per day, so it may take you even longer.

If you truly need help, I would strongly suggest googling your problem as much as possible before posting as a simple problem is usually answered, however, if you are out of luck, or can't find the answer, feel free to post a help thread and I'm sure you will find the help you need.

Where do I get these super cool blue applications?
These applications are used with a component pack, specifically this would be DotNetBar, but you can view many here, however, if you do not wish to buy them, they are available in premium.

I hate using express editions! Where can I get the full version for free?
You can get them by purchasing premium, in there you will either find download links, or you can request for them. Buy it here.
General Programming & Scripting
Visual Basic (VB)(.NET)
C-Sharp (C#)(.NET)
C++
Java
Scripting & Markup
HTML
Java Script
Other Languages (Assembly, Delphi, Lua, Perl, Python, Obj-C, Node, etc..)

If you would like to contribute to this thread, please post all of your resources and any credentials below. We thank you for your contribution.

Credits to OnyX for providing tons of Java resources here.

Last edited:
lil BLu3 SMuRF

lil BLu3 SMuRF

Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
can you add objective-C? im starting to learn that. i also learned C++ from this website... www.learncpp.com

its literally an online book. has 18 long *** chapters, but by chapter 3, you will know how to code in C++

Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
can you add objective-C? im starting to learn that. i also learned C++ from this website... www.learncpp.com

its literally an online book. has 18 long *** chapters, but by chapter 3, you will know how to code in C++

Damnit, I keep forgetting about the learncpp website, I added it, that's what CProgramming/Cplusplus is.
Added an objective-C section, although that's most likely the only ones I'll be adding (PHP is web development, and other languages aren't really common).

I just realize obj-C and C# were different, facepalm.jpg

lil BLu3 SMuRF

lil BLu3 SMuRF

Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Damnit, I keep forgetting about the learncpp website, I added it, that's what CProgramming/Cplusplus is.
Added an objective-C section, although that's most likely the only ones I'll be adding (PHP is web development, and other languages aren't really common).

I just realize obj-C and C# were different, facepalm.jpg

okay, thanks, this will be bookmarked when you add objective-C stuff. for compilers, you can add Xcode for mac

Z

Zer0-One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sin$
lol. I was going to make this topic just now!

Thanks for linking my Ebooks thread under the C# section. I'm going to compile a few more collections of Ebooks for different languages, so you can add them here.

Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
lol. I was going to make this topic just now!

Thanks for linking my Ebooks thread under the C# section. I'm going to compile a few more collections of Ebooks for different languages, so you can add them here.

Yay beat ya too it :tongue:. I'm gonna slowly look through the section for tutorials mainly that discuss a lot/help start people out.

Gig

Gig

Chance The Rapper
Seasoned Veteran Stickied Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Looks really nice, its got loads of helpful info, this should be pinned. You should add xoax.net to C++ tutorials, it has some really good C++ video tutorials. Nice job man! :biggrin:

Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks eclipse!

I added the Obj-C tutorial. I also added a VB.Net video series to the list to help beginners learn it.

Monkey

Monkey

Getting There
Mr. Nice Guy Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
nice i am going to start to learn Visual Basics so this is where i will start :biggrin:, thanks!

S

Snikt47

Reaction score
Sin$
Thank you! I've been looking for a good resource for learning C++ for a while now and I found one :biggrin:

mirGantrophy

xGrim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I've been wanting to post this for a bit, I was just waiting for the programming section update to see what's changed. Anyways..I'm hoping to post as much resources as possible to help out anyone get started with actual programming.

General Programming FAQ
What is a compiler or IDE?
A compiler simply translates "human" source code into machine code that the machine understands. An IDE means Integrated development environment, it is an enhanced and advanced compiler to help coders out, rather than typing all of the code into something along the lines of notepad.

What compiler/IDE should I use?
If you're using C++, C#, or Visual Basic, I would go ahead and recommend the Visual Studio product, as it is widely used for all of them. Otherwise which compiler is mainly preference. I learned C++ using Dev C++ as it's great for beginners. Java I used JCreator as that is what I used in my class, but you can always use others.

What language should I learn?
The language you are wanting to learn depends on what you want to program it for.
-For building windows applications, I would suggest C#, although Visual Basic seems to be most people starting place as it's considered the easiest, these two .NET languages are RAD (Rapid Application Development) programming languages.
-C++ if you want to eventually build your own video games, as it will be the fastest in the long run. I also personally know C++ is used for PC game hacking (and I believe xbox 360 modding)
-Java if you want your applications to be portable across operating systems. It also revolves around OOP (Object Oriented Programming).

Help! I can't understand ANY of this!!!
I will not be surprised by someone saying this. Learning a language takes loads of time, It has personally taken me over 6 months to fully understand how coding works, and I have yet to learn just a small fraction out there (it's never ending). However, most people aren't going to be doing this 5+ hours per day, so it may take you even longer.

If you truly need help, I would strongly suggest googling your problem as much as possible before posting as a simple problem is usually answered, however, if you are out of luck, or can't find the answer, feel free to post a help thread and I'm sure you will find the help you need.

Where do I get these super cool blue applications?
These applications are used with a component pack, specifically this would be DotNetBar, but you can view many here, however, if you do not wish to buy them, they are available in premium.

I hate using express editions! Where can I get the full version for free?
You can get them by purchasing premium, in there you will either find download links, or you can request for them. Buy it here.

Visual Basic

C#

C++

Java

Other Languages (Assembly, Delphi, Lua, Perl, Python, Obj-C, etc..)

If you would like to have any input, information added, more questions for me to answer in the FAQ, or guides/compilers/tutorials to added, please leave a comment or contact me freely.

Credits to OnyX for providing tons of Java resources here.

what would you recommend for C++? Dev seems outdated, what about Borland? and doesn't Visual C++ target the .NET meaning you need .NET installed like VB/C#?

Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
what would you recommend for C++? Dev seems outdated, what about Borland? and doesn't Visual C++ target the .NET meaning you need .NET installed like VB/C#?

You can use VC++, you can use native C++ in it if you select it, or managed VC++ which requires .NET (I believe that's what it's called).

I used Dev just recently, it's very basic, which is why I liked it, considering I knew nothing.

Z

Zondrina

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
By the looks of it, this thread is lacking python resources and tutorials hard. Considering its becoming prominent in the industry, and quite possibly the best language to date, people should know what it is and how to use it.

Just a recommendation incase you ever decide to update the first post again.

Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
By the looks of it, this thread is lacking python resources and tutorials hard. Considering its becoming prominent in the industry, and quite possibly the best language to date, people should know what it is and how to use it.

Just a recommendation incase you ever decide to update the first post again.

That's your opinion, I honestly never see python being used, does that mean it's not? No, but it's obviously not one of the mainstream languages that everyone uses (like C, C++, Java, C#, VB, and PHP).

If you would like to add python content that you've used and not is a good source, I'd be happy to update my post.

Z

Zondrina

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
That's your opinion, I honestly never see python being used, does that mean it's not? No, but it's obviously not one of the mainstream languages that everyone uses (like C, C++, Java, C#, VB, and PHP).

If you would like to add python content that you've used and not is a good source, I'd be happy to update my post.

I have some boys down at silicon valley working at a handfull of companies such as IBM, Google, etc and they tell me its becoming the mainstream thing. All the languages you listed are the generic children's toys these days really, almost everyone knows them so its not as impressive as it used to be. Then again, human tech is going through a rapid growth so im not surprised.

Perhaps im the only one who likes the clearest syntaxing to date? Considering python is written almost completely in english. I might post some tutorials to teach people the basics at some point to help out, and you can link there if you like.

Top Bottom
Login
Register