Discussion processor

• Thread starter .CRAC.
  • Start date
  • Views 463
C

.CRAC.

Reaction score
Sin$
would it be possible to take out my processor of my laptop and put it into my desktop

Night Train

Night Train

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
i dont think that laptop processors are the same as desktop ones

T

T Sizzles

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
no. laptop CPUs use different sockets than desktop CPUs. for example, my laptop uses a mPGA 478. there is a 478 for desktops, but the laptop is smaller. most desktops nowadays use LGA775 (Intel) or AM2 (AMD)

Night Train

Night Train

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
ahh there ya go sizzles thats what i was looking to type haha give him a thanks not me

D

Dem Pyros

Yes it is.....in the very unlikely chance that you have the same socket type.

Besides, why would you want to?

T

T Sizzles

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
You can't. My socket 478 laptop CPU is smaller than my parent's socket 478 desktop CPU.

D

Dem Pyros

T Sizzles said:
You can't. My socket 478 laptop CPU is smaller than my parent's socket 478 desktop CPU.
But did you to solder the wires from that to your desktop CPU? ^_^

T

T Sizzles

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Dem Pyros said:
But did you to solder the wires from that to your desktop CPU? ^_^

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

D

Dem Pyros

T Sizzles said:
I have no idea what you are trying to say.
I'm saying that it doesn't fit in the socket, but it uses the same machine level code. So you could (in theory) solder each one of the pins to the corresponding pin on the mobo, and it would work.

T

T Sizzles

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Dem Pyros said:
I'm saying that it doesn't fit in the socket, but it uses the same machine level code. So you could (in theory) solder each one of the pins to the corresponding pin on the mobo, and it would work.

It would work, but it would be completely useless. Laptop CPUs are designed so they use less voltage to save battery, and they are slower. You can have all of the power you want in a desktop PC. There is no point in putting a laptop CPU in a desktop.

D

Dem Pyros

T Sizzles said:
It would work, but it would be completely useless. Laptop CPUs are designed so they use less voltage to save battery, and they are slower. You can have all of the power you want in a desktop PC. There is no point in putting a laptop CPU in a desktop.
Who was saying there was a point, just if it was possible :lol:

Top Bottom
Login
Register