Processor Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by SiK GambleR, Dec 23, 2008 with 8 replies and 119 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I currently have a socket 478 Pentium 4 2.4ghz HT "Northwood" on my Intel D856GBF motherboard. Now my family doesn't have the money to buy a new computer but I have been doing research. My motherboard can take up to a 3.0ghz HT socket 478 processor. If I got a 3.0 HT for let's say 30 bucks, would I notice a considerable speed increase? (let's say I'm gaming.)

Specs:
    Current 2.4 Northwood HT:
    2.4ghz Hyperthreaded
    100FSB quad-pumped to 400
    512mb L2 Cache

Possible future 3.0 HT:
    3.0 ghz Hyperthreaded
    800FSB
    512mb L2 Cache

2. Michael Allison

Michael Allison Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Gaming on a single core 2.4 GHz processor? Good luck with that. Same goes for the 3.0 GHz. You might see a small increase in speed.

You need to observe your system and see what's being abused the most. That way you can say "Oh, I guess I need to buy a new insert object here as opposed to a new insert object here."

3. OP
    SiK GambleR

Ratings:
    *scratches head* I'm not computer illiterate and you didn't answer my question. Gaming on a single core processor is not bad and a nice amount of games (the newest and most advanced ones don't) run on single core processors. I have a very good GFX card but my current processor is, what I feel, is not ample enough. I do not have the money to bump to a dual or quad so this is my option. My main concern is, is my real world speed going to increase enough to notice a difference or is it just going to be more superior on paper?

I didn't ask for your 2 cents on my processor or anything else in my PC because my sound card, gfx card, and ram are ample. Answer the question or don't post in my thread please.

4. confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    FYI once you have hooked a processor up to a motherboard, it's not coming out. So you'll have to get a new motherboard to upgrade. I'm using a Pentium 4 at 3.0ghtz (basically the same thing you want right?) and games are decent but not spectacular. The speed increase you'll get from switching processors will make the game slightly better but it's not worth upgrading your entire motherboard for

5. OP
    SiK GambleR

Ratings:
    LOL? Please don't talk about stuff you don't know.

Processors come off the motherboard easier than taking batteries out of a tv remote.

• Like Like x 1
  6. confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
  7. waffle11

waffle11 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I think there would be at least small, but noticeable, increase in performance. Simply because when playing rather demanding games you probably use the vast majority of your processing power and the more you can add in this case the better since every application can use a single core. Some faster ram could also help if your mobo would support it, since your FSB would then be 800 (unless you already have ddr2 800 in that case you shouldnt need faster). I say if it is 30 bucks go for it I think it would be worth the money.

8. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    The differences between the 2.4 and 3.0 are rather subtle. For a single-core processor, you will notice a decent difference, but only in a few areas. Such that gaming relies more on the available graphics card than the processor for many of the aspects, but that jump will make a smoother play either way. Applications are where you are going to see the big jump really. You would notice it on things that heavily require CPU computation such as graphics rendering or sound processing.

9. OP
    SiK GambleR

Ratings:
    i have a decent gfx card, and @ waffle. I have DDR400 ram for my mobo if i remember correctly, that's the highest is supports.

thanks guys, I think I'll do it, when I get the cash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.