Problems with outputting PC to TV

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by JoeMal, Dec 4, 2008 with 10 replies and 94 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Ok so I'm pretty frustrated with this...

I guess first I'll post my stuff...40" Sammy LCD and an HP, Vista Ultimate PC with a 512MB video card, dual DVI outs

I bought a DVI to HDMI cable to run from my PC to my TV, only to find out it says 'Mode not supported' when I try to connect using anything over 1280x720...WTF?!

I did some looking online, and apparently this is a big problem with LCDs/Plasmas....I assumed it would be an easy thing to do but apparently most TVs don't support this type of connection coming from a PC?

Does anyone know anything about this or know a way around it? I CAN get it to work at 1280x720, but that's not really what I'm looking for....

2. Saiyan

Saiyan Senior Member

Ratings:
    if its widescreen it should support 1360x768 but im pretty sure thats the highest it goes. Make sure your hertz is set to what your tv can handle.

3. Mandela

Mandela Getting There

Ratings:
    what graphics card do you have.

4. OP
    JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Seriously?! My refresh rates are the same

Why wouldn't they allow for a full HD connection like that? Is there any way to get a full HD picture from a PC?

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO

5. Mandela

Mandela Getting There

Ratings:
    have you checked to make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.

6. OP
    JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    No I really don't think it's a matter of drivers...

7. Mandela

Mandela Getting There

Ratings:
    Well I have a intel chipset graphics card and had to update it to be able to get the use of my hd tv. Thats one of the first to always check.

8. SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR Retired Retired

Ratings:
    First off always update drivers to the newest possible.

Second off a straight run from DVI to HDMI may not always be the right way to do it seeing as the pin connectors in DVI don't always match up directly to hdmi even though they are a digital signal. The tv may see it as some odd cable that isn't compatible. Using an adapter than a straight cable may work better. They can be easily bought for cheap..[Click here to view the link]

Thirdly make sure your tv's input it set correctly.

Check any and all graphics card settings through again, you may be mising something. Go through that ATI Catalyst Console .. there is alot of stuff i there to poke.

Your TV doesn't have a dvi connector in the back? that would be the easiest way.

Make sure hertz, refresh rate, and resolutions are correct.

Hook up your tv as a secondary monitor if all else fails, if u get that to work dual monitor off it.

9. OP
    JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I thought about the adapter...we'll see

I should probably make sure my drivers are up to date...but then again I don't really think it's that

No DVI on the TV, only HDMI and VGA

10. SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR Retired Retired

Ratings:
    IF worst coems to worst, dvi --> vga.

11. OP
    JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Would I be any better off? Could I get any better resolution than what I already have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.