• Thread starter Deleted member 777936
  • Start date
  • Views 12,461
D

Deleted member 777936

Houston, we have a problem.
Reaction score
Sin$
If you are reading this, you most likely are either questioning if the Coolrunner Rev D is a legitimate chip or not, or debating whether or not to get one. Now, the Coolrunner Rev D may not be an official Team Xecuter product, but it's still a kick-*** chip in my opinion. The chip is noticeably more different than its predecessor, the Coolrunner Rev C, with the most noticeable addition being the on-board 48 MHZ Clock. You may be asking, "Why would I ever need a clock on my glitch chip? Doesn't my console already have an on-board clock?" The answer to that question is a big maybe. All of the different types of Xbox 360 motherboards come with an on-board clock, with the only exceptions being the Corona series of boards, which are glitch-able, and the Winchester series, which are found in the latest revision of the Xbox Console, the "Xbox E". If you tried to do a simple install on a Corona board, you would be presented with a big problem in the RGH process, as the name "RGH" stands for "Reset Glitch Hack", and without the ability for the motherboard to reset on a regular basis, it can lead to troubles with getting the console to boot up. The on-board clock is made specifically to combat this problem, providing a reliable reset-timing solution, therefore making the console have a more stable RGH process. Now, what if you are asking "What would happen if I install the chip in my console which already has an on-board clock?" Well... the console would just flat out not boot. This is due to the presence of 2 reset-clocks trying to override each other. To prepare this chip for an RGH 1.2 install, we will have to go ahead and remove the on-board clock presented on the Coolrunner Rev D, as well as make some adjustments to the chip's components.
•Soldering Iron
•Solder
•Flux
•(OPTIONAL) Solder-Sucker
•(OPTIONAL) Tweezers
First off, we want to go about disabling the onboard clock. We can go about doing this by disabling the resistor labeled "R13". This is show in the picture below:
C7HZoKT.jpg
Getting this resistor off of the chip is very easy; just take your soldering iron and keep applying heat to both sides of the resistor. Now, if you decided to bring along your tweezers for this project, you can simply pick up the resistor when it floats off of the chip. Otherwise, you will have to push it off with your soldering iron while the resistor's solder is still a liquid. If you have a solder sucker, I highly recommend sucking off the excess solder on these points.
Next, we want to remove the CAP resistor. This resistor is located next to a very cluttered area, so be sure you do not touch your iron to any other of the components on the chip. The CAP resistor can be found in this picture:
Q3kTdm6.jpg
This component is removed the exact same way that the R13 resistor was removed; simply apply heat to both sides of the resistor with your soldering iron, float the component off of the board, and either pick it up with tweezers or push it off of the board.
Please note that this step is optional. You do not need to do this in order to get a working console, but I find that I get significantly better boot times when I do this step. In this last step, we want to go ahead and bridge the JP points. These points can be found in this picture:
3uFxc7T.jpg
Now, you can either make a solder joint between these two points simply by flowing solder between them, which I highly recommend doing, or you could take a resistor that we removed from a previous step and apply it, which I don't recommend doing. Now, the reason why I don't recommend this is due to the possibility that you may have broken the resistor in the desolder process. Joining the points with solder provides the same results, without the possibility of having a broken component.
Now that you have completed all of the steps, you are ready to use your Coolrunner Rev D for the RGH 1.2 process. Make sure the switch on the Coolrunner chip is set to "Phat" instead of "Slim".
Q: "Is this tutorial necessary?"
A: Yes. It is required.

Q: "My chip still isn't working in the RGH 1.2 process. Help!?"
A: Try the optional Step 3 portion of the tutorial.

Q: "Would you recommend these chips over regular Coolrunner Rev C chips?"
A: Personally, yes. If you ever need to do an install on a Corona board, you have the option to, and if you want to install the chip in a Phat console, you can simply follow this tutorial.

Last edited:
Kaution

Kaution

"Redesign, Rebuild, Reclaim"
Reaction score
Sin$
This deserves a sticky!
OT: This is very well detailed and I will definitely use it as a template when I work on Phats and such.

D

Deleted member 777936

Reaction score
Sin$
Even if the errors were fixed, there is a already a sticky that covers most of the stuff in the thread.
What errors are you referring to? Also, there is nothing in the stickied threads that relates to the modification referred to in this tutorial.

Last edited:
HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
What errors are you referring to?
After a just a quick browse through, the resistor doesn't need to be removed. You just need to leave the wire off. It's one or the other, not an absolute you must remove it. As well, the cap needs to be left on for certain Jaspers. It's a 100nf cap on pll_bypass. Not addressed at all. Last thing I caught off the top of my head is that you seem to address some of the settings on it, such as the JP, but miss the fact that you have the toggle between phat and slim, with the picture showing it in slim, and your 1-2, 2-3 jumpers.

D

Deleted member 777936

Reaction score
Sin$
After a just a quick browse through, the resistor doesn't need to be removed. You just need to leave the wire off. It's one or the other, not an absolute you must remove it. As well, the cap needs to be left on for certain Jaspers. It's a 100nf cap on pll_bypass. Not addressed at all. Last thing I caught off the top of my head is that you seem to address some of the settings on it, such as the JP, but miss the fact that you have the toggle between phat and slim, with the picture showing it in slim, and your 1-2, 2-3 jumpers.
This is the configuration I have been using for the 10+ consoles I have done with CR Rev. D chips, and I have never had a problem with it, even with Jaspers. Also, I will address the switch being set to slim.

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
This is the configuration I have been using for the 10+ consoles I have done with CR Rev. D chips, and I have never had a problem with it, even with Jaspers. Also, I will address the switch being set to slim.
RGH 1.2 is basically RGH 1 wiring with a RGH 2 image. The rev D is a rev C with a onboard crystal. So you are going to follow the same wiring and jumper methods of RGH 1.
zhBJygE.jpg

Trust me, I've done well more then 10+ phat consoles.

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Only a side note, with 1.2 I have never needed to change the default settings other than slim to phat and using the cap.

D

Deleted member 777936

Reaction score
Sin$
RGH 1.2 is basically RGH 1 wiring with a RGH 2 image. The rev D is a rev C with a onboard crystal. So you are going to follow the same wiring and jumper methods of RGH 1.
zhBJygE.jpg

Trust me, I've done well more then 10+ phat consoles.
I am aware. This tutorial is just for preparing the chip for the 1.2 install, not for the actual 1.2 install.

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Have you ever done an install with a Rev D?
No, because a rev c does the job just as well. Doesn't change the jumper settings though. Half of jaspers need a 100nf cap across pll_bypass. You can use matrix, rev a,b,c or d. Doesn't change the console.

D

Deleted member 777936

Reaction score
Sin$
No, because a rev c does the job just as well. Doesn't change the jumper settings though. Half of jaspers need a 100nf cap across pll_bypass. You can use matrix, rev a,b,c or d. Doesn't change the console.
Also, the Clock's resistor does need to have it's resistor removed. I just tested it with a console that I currently have a Rev D installed into, the console doesn't do anything when it comes to booting with the Resistor on the chip, but when it is off the chip, it works just fine.

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Also, the Clock's resistor does need to have it's resistor removed. I just tested it with a console that I currently have a Rev D installed into, the console doesn't do anything when it comes to booting with the Resistor on the chip, but when it is off the chip, it works just fine.
Using the onboard crystal requires a different timing file as the clock is different. Every console is different. Using the 360 motherboard clk is usually better, but not a one size fits all. Some people are uncomfortable soldering to the clk point. That's why they use the chip crystal and different timing files.

Top Bottom
Login
Register