What's new

Solved Pre-Built RGH or DIY Option?

• Thread starter Jack06WS
  • Start date
  • Views 272
J

Jack06WS

Reaction score
Hello Everybody. I'm debating whether to buy a pre jailbroken console or whether to attempt to mod the console myself. I have absolutely no soldering experience. I'd like a Slim Trinity console with an RGH. I basically just want to play games offline with cheats. I've listed some questions below and I'd really appreciate some support. Thanks!

1. What are the risks of buying a pre-modded console?
2. What are the risks of hacking the console myself?
3. Which would you rather do with no soldering experience?

R

Risking Perfect

If I'm online, my kids asleep.
Super Moderators
Reaction score
1. If you aren't careful with who you buy it from, they may send you a bricked and or damaged system.
2. The console will get banned no matter what you do, that's just a fact. It is possible to damage the board yourself. Tools and hardware can be pricey.
3. I would always recommend at least trying yourself for the experience but you will want to practice soldering first. Alternatively, there are people who will mod your console for you for less than it costs to buy one prebuilt. The charges on those usually include shipping it to them, cost of parts and labor, and shipping it back to you.

Here is a quick price I threw together if I were to do it.
Shipping From$ 15.05
Ace v3$ 14.99
Wire$ 0.50
Labor$ 30.00
Shipping To$ 15.05
Recovery FilesFREE
Total$ 75.59
I would say $75 and call it good. Where a prebuilt one is roughly $120 - $170

Last edited:
D

danik2b

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DIY, Cannot stress this enough. You learn a lot and it's very cheap after the initial price of products.
Buying a pre-built console is the same as buying a pre-built PC, you don't learn anything from it.

When people say they're professional, they are merely DIY guys looking to make money, you don't know what you're getting.
Don't let some soldering and software be a let down of learning something extremely rewarding and fun. The feeling when you finally boot your console is awesome.

Just my thoughts.

To answer your questions:

1. The risks of buying a pre-modded console are that you don't know what you're getting, the console could be really old, it could have a broken disk tray, need reballing etc..
2. The risks of doing it yourself are that if you're new to soldering, you might not be comfortable soldering wires to the solder pads, you also might not use the correct wiring causing slower boot times, position of the mod chip might not be correct so you use 20ft of wire instead of seamlessly installing the wires and soldering them on. <--- these are very minor things, take it slow and think it through.
3. I've RGH'd multiple consoles, 4 I think now, all with custom LEDs and pulled the consoles completely apart to clean them, I was not good with soldering and it's been a great learning process for me. Check my previous posts for my struggles and to see how I've progressed.

Last edited:
R

Risking Perfect

If I'm online, my kids asleep.
Super Moderators
Reaction score
DIY, Cannot stress this enough. You learn a lot and it's very cheap after the initial price of products.
Buying a pre-built console is the same as buying a pre-built PC, you don't learn anything from it.

When people say they're professional, they are merely DIY guys looking to make money, you don't know what you're getting.
Don't let some soldering and software be a let down of learning something extremely rewarding and fun. The feeling when you finally boot your console is awesome.

Just my thoughts.

To answer your questions:

1. The risks of buying a pre-modded console are that you don't know what you're getting, the console could be really old, it could have a broken disk tray, need reballing etc..
2. The risks of doing it yourself are that if you're new to soldering, you might not be comfortable soldering wires to the solder pads, you also might not use the correct wiring causing slower boot times, position of the mod chip might not be correct so you use 20ft of wire instead of seamlessly installing the wires and soldering them on. <--- these are very minor things, take it slow and think it through.
3. I've RGH'd multiple consoles, 4 I think now, all with custom LEDs and pulled the consoles completely apart to clean them, I was not good with soldering and it's been a great learning process for me. Check my previous posts for my struggles and to see how I've progressed.
I second this, I learned to solder about 10 or so years ago to get into modding consoles, been at it for almost 8 now. And there is little risk in it now that consoles are only 50-75 dollars at a pawnshop or gamestop if you accidentally damage one being your first time (I bricked my first Xbox I worked on).

I would definitely recommend getting a grasp on soldering a little before attempting the console by taking something like a cheap alarm clock or old computer part and practice attaching wires to small points you can find. See if you can figure out how to make a digital clock tick backwards, that always entertained me.

S

Sir Matrix

Sing us a song, your the piano man!
Retired
Reaction score
DIY all the way. Not only is it cheaper but the satisfaction of doing it is amazing too.

G

G_ecko

Reaction score
Also if you want to try practice soldering just buy a kit or something from amazon and solder it together yourself! That's what I did and it really helped me when starting off. Use flux I recommend MG - 835 good luck. DIY modding is very fun!

Top Bottom