What's new

WIP Plexis - Orthographic Survival Game

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
19d57e09003fe06bda4a7074f279ad6b.png

Hey everyone! This is my first *real* project regarding game development, other than my Terraria clone. This is the first game I've attempted to go full scale with and I'm quite proud of it so far. Currently, I've been working mostly on UI mechanics first before doing anything related to gameplay other then player movement. Here are some previews of the UI's I've done thus far: (Please keep in mind this is my very first time working with Photoshop and user-interfaces)

a5aa5ae8bdbdf06d72f52e0cf0ef00be.png

ed91b9732317129d76063a8ed5185580.png

3f96dc4efd6b1a68d53968297b501f65.png

8971f860b82bf2ba9b90ac92f1f304dd.png

537199e8d6c2476317b8700e8111cf34.png

So far, I've been working on this game for roughly two months exactly and it has been quite a rocky road. I have lots of plans and nice ideas for this game, although I'd love to hear some feedback from you guys or if you have any questions, please ask or suggest! I'll be posting updates here and there when I have time.

jackorama

jackorama

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
looks amazing. love the UI. can't wait to see what this becomes and as a fellow game developer I can relate to "Rocky road" XD

Last edited:
Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
A little UI update:
7f32375fe42b30742615f31c05a43734.png

Basically, I added a hotbar for items as you see on the bottom of the screen. I also added a toolbar which will contain various things. That globe looking-icon will handle viewing what day, year and time it is within the world, what zone/map you're in and perhaps some other things. I plan to make both of these only appear on-screen when you mouse over the areas to maximize how much screen-space you have for the actual game content.

Also, I made a few updates to the new game/loading UI's in terms of the buttons. I optimized some of the code as well.

EDIT: The icons on the toolbar are buttons:

bcf6f941d12d827dab9a5ef09401370e.gif

Last edited:
D

DeleteMe1744

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Don't want to offend you but are you making a game? Usually you build your UI around a stable gameplay not the other way around. Do you even have a prototype for your game?

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Don't want to offend you but are you making a game? Usually you build your UI around a stable gameplay not the other way around. Do you even have a prototype for your game?
Yes, I'm making a game? I was hoping that would be obvious by the thread title and sub-forum it was posted in :tongue: I haven't run into many issues doing so the way I am. Actually, none at all. I'm creating things such as core survival mechanics as I build things like the thirst/hunger/health UI's. I've also been implementing things such as the time of day, year, etc,. within the game. Remember: there's much more then what you see within the pictures I've been posting :wink: Anyways, that's actually a good question which I thank you for asking. I've seen people who've developed a few small games and still do it incorrectly. I have a decent and optimized framework from which I've built upon. I don't jump around like I did before.

EDIT: Here's an example of the rectangles of the thirst/hunger/health decreasing with a button press. I haven't currently completed any algorithms yet because I don't have zone temperatures, clothing, etc,. implemented yet:
181ce46d0602403087ea8dbc8f33061c.gif

Last edited:
D

DeleteMe1744

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I haven't run into many issues doing so the way I am.
Yet... As far as I know you have not faced the design problems your game might hold out since you didn't show any work related to the core of your game at work...

What is the pitch of your game? A few sentences that would describe the game loop, the goal etc... of your project.

I'm creating things such as core survival mechanics as I build things like the thirst/hunger/health UI's. I've also been implementing things such as the time of day, year, etc,. within the game. Remember: there's much more then what you see within the pictures I've been posting :wink:

And that's what would be interesting! Since you already implemented those features, why do you show us UI when you could post more details about the interesting mechanics of the game? I don't know for others but I think a bare prototype without much UI or graphics but which already has good examples of how the gameplay works, what makes it original, a prototype that illustrates the inner mechanics gives a MUCH better idea of the potential of your project. I develop games as well and a rule of thumb I learned is that a prototype's worth is nowhere close to a written description of the game, objectively :smile: .

I have a decent and optimized framework from which I've built upon.

Could you elaborate? What do you call a framework? Not the actual definition, I know what a framework is, but what you actually technically achieved that is a framework? You can't say what you do is optimized when we don't even know the substance of it...
And more importantly you did not provide any technically specific details about your game at all. What tools do you use? Which programming languages? Which game engine?

I've seen people who've developed a few small games and still do it incorrectly. I don't jump around like I did before.

Could you shed light on your vision of what is the incorrect way to build a game?

I know it might sound like it but I'm not trying to demotivate you or bring you down.

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
No no, you're not demotivating me or bringing me down at all, I appreciate all of what you're saying :smile:

Although... From what I can gather and assume from your post, you're writing all of this with the thought of this being a post about a release or something more to showcase. This thread is by no means a release or anything slated as such. It's a simple preview and update thread for people to gander at. Granted, the OP was about the UI but as a greater whole, that was just to showcase how the game looks in general where it stands as of right now. As I said, I began this game two months ago, March 9th to be exact. Everyone has different paths they take when it comes to development and programming, no matter the subject matter (game, software, etc,.). As for,

Could you shed light on your vision of what is the incorrect way to build a game?

I may have stated what I said incorrectly. As I said before, there are many different paths people choose to take when programming. Some more complicated, others more simple. I chose to develop the UI along with some of the core mechanics so when I need to, I can simply edit the UI I already have or if it's necessary, I can throw it out and start anew but I will at-least already have a general idea for the look and feel. I made it clear this is technically my first game and the UI was showcased first simply because it was something I was extremely proud of; it was a major milestone for me no matter how simple it might be. It was something I've never taken on before.

And that's what would be interesting! Since you already implemented those features, why do you show us UI when you could post more details about the interesting mechanics of the game?
Core mechanics are the 1st or second biggest part of any game, depending on how you look at it. As they are unfinished and will be until other elements are implemented in such as temperature, time, food, bonus', clothing, weaponry, etc,. those mechanics are impossible for me to showcase, personally, even if there was a prototype which there is not. There simply can't be a prototype at the stage I'm at but I appreciate the interest and I believe the core mechanics are definitely the more interesting aspect of the game, as well, it's just not something I feel needs to be showcased yet as that is not what this thread is about, necessarily.

Could you elaborate? What do you call a framework?
This is a good question and I figured it would throw up some confusion. With every type of project, I believe there's always a baseline for what needs to be done to be able to build on top of first, otherwise everything becomes a mess and cluttered very quickly. A framework to me, is basically the middle of an onion and you continuously add layers on top to make it more effective and worthwhile, making changes along the way. As for the engine and such, I am using Slick2D and the code is currently strictly Java.

You can't say what you do is optimized when we don't even know the substance of it...
Of course I can. Not to sound rude, but the general community knowing about the 'substance' of the game doesn't make it any more optimized than it is or could be. Optimization can mean a lot of things. A jumble of methods or numbers of threads isn't very optimized now is it? Depending on what they do of course, but I don't think so. You want to do as much as possible in the least amount of time and then jump to the next task. For instance; Plexis uses countless for;; loops. I've tried to find numerous ways around these but I couldn't find much that would've worked any nicer. Anyways, I've tried to condense them into tasks because some will finish before others causing odd bugs which has worked well. One takes some time, this one being parsing XML files for map data so it needs to be as condensed as it can when multiple maps comes into play.

I thank you for these questions and concerns :smile: let me know if I can clear anything up.

D

DeleteMe1744

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
A framework to me, is basically the middle of an onion and you continuously add layers on top to make it more effective and worthwhile, making changes along the way. As for the engine and such, I am using Slick2D and the code is currently strictly Java.

You still haven't elaborated. What is it that you developed, as you stated, that qualifies as a framework?

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You still haven't elaborated. What is it that you developed, as you stated, that qualifies as a framework?
That question doesn't make any sense. What do you personally define as framework? Otherwise, I'll just refer you to my previous post.

D

DeleteMe1744

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
That question doesn't make any sense. What do you personally define as framework? Otherwise, I'll just refer you to my previous post.

Your definition makes sense to me, let's say mine is the same. You just didn't answer my question. You said you developed a framework and I'm asking what does it technically achieve. Concrete stuff. Don't beat about the bush...

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Your definition makes sense to me, let's say mine is the same. You just didn't answer my question. You said you developed a framework and I'm asking what does it technically achieve. Concrete stuff. Don't beat about the bush...
I don't believe I was beating around the bush, only your question wasn't necessarily clear enough but I apologize. I understand now. Well, for example: all of the GUI objects/classes are based off of one class, same with the entities, button actions, etc,. so as I said, it makes it easier to manipulate one and affect the rest or simply pick one specific object and modify it alone.

EDIT: Classes such as my Tileset class are much the same. I can load up numerous tilesets, set ID's for them and find specific sprites and set those sprites' components accordingly with little to no hassle.

Top Bottom
Login
Register