What's new
  • Howdy, Guest!

We have issued a forced password reset on all user accounts, meaning you will not be able to login until this process is complete. Instructions will be displayed when you login with your previous credentials, however if for any reason you do not have access to your associated email address, you will need to contact us at [email protected].

For more information, please read this Important Announcement

Thank you for being awesome!

Play Atari 2600 ROMs in Nuketown 2025 using the Tesseract

ihatecompvir

ihatecompvir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
No, the thread title isn't a joke! Apparently, the arcade easter egg in Nuketown 2025 isn't just remakes of classic Atari games, it is the actual Atari 2600 bytecode itself running. That's right, Black Ops 2 is the first fully working Atari 2600 to be released for the Xbox 360. And it's all for the low price of however much Black Ops 2 is nowadays.

f*** the rest of the game, this is where it's at. This is the reason to buy a JTag.

Anyways, here is how to do it.

First, you must obtain an Atari 2600 ROM. Might I suggest ET: The Extra Terrestrial? Of course, no piracy here. I suggest buying/making a cartridge dumper, and the game, and dumping the ROM yourself. OBVIOUSLY that is the best solution.

Then, you must have the Tesseract installed/setup. Now, drop your ROM to replace one of the 4 default games in the raw/vcs/ folder.

The games:
  1. hero.bin
  2. kaboom.bin
  3. pitfall2.bin
  4. riverraid.bin
That's it. Now, you just need to boot up Black Ops 2, and perform the easter egg, and you'll be on your way to playing those sweet, sweet Atari 2600 games.

Black Ops 2 is basically the best looking Atari 2600 emulator I've ever seen. I like how they programmed in a full campaign, multiplayer, and zombies mode just for an emulator!

SnoWRain

SnoWRain

Professional
Reaction score
Sin$
No, the thread title isn't a joke! Apparently, the arcade easter egg in Nuketown 2025 isn't just remakes of classic Atari games, it is the actual Atari 2600 bytecode itself running. That's right, Black Ops 2 is the first fully working Atari 2600 to be released for the Xbox 360. And it's all for the low price of however much Black Ops 2 is nowadays.
First, you must obtain an Atari 2600 ROM. Might I suggest ET: The Extra Terrestrial? Of course, no piracy here. I suggest buying/making a cartridge dumper, and the game, and dumping the ROM yourself. OBVIOUSLY that is the best solution.
Then, you must have the Tesseract installed/setup. Now, drop your ROM to replace one of the 4 default games in the raw/vcs/ folder.

The games:
  1. hero.bin
  2. kaboom.bin
  3. pitfall2.bin
  4. riverraid.bin
That's it. Now, you just need to boot up Black Ops 2, and perform the easter egg, and you'll be on your way to playing those sweet, sweet Atari 2600 games.

Black Ops 2 is basically the best looking Atari 2600 emulator I've ever seen. I like how they programmed in a full campaign, multiplayer, and zombies mode just for an emulator!
youv lost meh and normally i keep up with this but nice job finding this out

CraigChrist8239

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Hardened Veteran Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
This is pretty glorious sir. I had no idea those games were even playable... Its the original bytecode? I thought they would have to switch to big endian, or is the Atari 2600 already big endian? Or I guess if it was 8bit then it wouldn't matter but whatev, this is great. I threw a little function together for ya, just thread do_vcs() on a client (when they press a button say?) and it'll instantly launch the emulator at any time (while on Nuketown, can be played anywhere but the TV shows the game so...)
Code:
wait_till_done_playing_vcs()
{
    self endon( "disconnect" );
    while ( 1 )
    {
        self waittill( "menuresponse", menu, response );
        return;
    }
}

do_vcs()
{
    screen = getent( "nuketown_tv", "targetname" );
    targettag = getent( "player_tv_position", "targetname" );
    screen setmodel( "nt_sign_population_vcs" );

if (!isalive( self ) )
    {
        return;
    }
    prevweapon = self getcurrentweapon();

self giveweapon("vcs_controller_mp");
    self switchtoweapon("vcs_controller_mp");
    self setstance("stand");
    placementtag = spawn( "script_model", self.origin );
    placementtag.angles = self.angles;
    self playerlinktoabsolute( placementtag );
    placementtag moveto( targettag.origin, 0.5, 0.05, 0.05 );
    placementtag rotateto( targettag.angles, 0.5, 0.05, 0.05 );
    self enableinvulnerability();
    self openmenu( "vcs" );
    self wait_till_done_playing_vcs();
    if ( !level.gameended )
    {
        if ( isDefined( self ) )
        {
            self disableinvulnerability();
            self unlink();
            self takeweapon( "vcs_controller_mp" );
            self switchtoweapon( prevweapon );
        }
    }
}

Last edited:
Da Botch

Da Botch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

**** the rest of the game, this is where it's at. This is the reason to buy a JTag.

Anyways, here is how to do it.

The games:
  1. hero.bin
  2. kaboom.bin
  3. pitfall2.bin
  4. riverraid.bin

Not E.T... never that.

Top Bottom
Login
Register