Discussion Phil Spencer Talks About Virtual Reality For Xbox

Inkd

Inkd

I’m parting the sea between brightness and me
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
aRqKOYB.png
Virtual Reality has always been an interesting concept, especially when regarding gaming. Most of us are pretty familiar with the idea of VR headsets by now, considering that our homepage is scattered with news about them, such as Microsoft's HoloLens, Valve's SteamVR, and Avegant's Virtual Reality Headset. Back on topic, Microsoft's head of the Xbox division, Phil Spencer, stated yesterday evening that Microsoft is not focused on developing a VR system for Xbox consoles due to the fact that he believes it is not "a now thing." Phil did mention that they are not throwing away the idea, but there are other priorities that need to be taken care of first.

Microsoft impressed a lot of people after they announced the HoloLens in Washington earlier this year. According to Spencer, “We haven’t announced it as an Xbox accessory. But it sits within one team, and we have the conversations. Right now, we want to focus on a standalone, untethered device and make sure that we can prove out that scenario. That’s where we started, and that’s what we announced in January: the first fully self-contained headset.” Microsoft's reasoning is quite understandable, but many gamers are still upset that the Xbox One will not be receiving a VR headset anytime soon. Phil Spencer has been an essential employee of Microsoft since 1988, and his decisions and opinions are generally valued by the community.

"The tethered scenarios around VR I think are interesting, but we were going for something different. Not being tethered to either a PC, Xbox or a phone as part of the solution was one of our design challenges for HoloLens, and we did that. Now we can say, 'Well, OK, if I do have an Xbox or a PC, what are those scenarios?' We haven't publicly talked about what those are, but you can imagine, as we continue to drive and get success with HoloLens, those scenarios will become obvious and developers will take advantage of them."

Will Microsoft actually be losing profit from doing this, because I do not believe so. Let me ask everyone, how many of you actually have intentions to purchase a VR system sometime in the near future, specifically for a console? I am presuming it is a meager amount of people. As much as I love my Xbox and the idea of having a Virtual Reality headset for it, maybe it's a good idea for them to just focus on the HoloLens. After all, I doubt everyone would be flocking to the store to pick up their new VR headset for the Xbox One. What do you think?

GamesRadar[URL="http://"][/url]

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Mr. Nice Guy Tutorial Creator Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
Inkd Inkd , Thank you for the submission, but unfortunately it will not be making it to the homepage. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

On topic: I honestly don't think the current gen consoles will ever get a good VR system. They just simply don't have enough power to maintain a high FPS and/or immersive graphics.

Im Da Best

Im Da Best

The next best thing...
Retired
Scaling the Mountain Bright Idea Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Inkd Inkd , Thank you for the submission, but unfortunately it will not be making it to the homepage. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

On topic: I honestly don't think the current gen consoles will ever get a good VR system. They just simply don't have enough power to maintain a high FPS and/or immersive graphics.
I mean, I can totally picture a bulkier version available for consoles. It would just require the headset itself to do more work, rather than have mainly be on the consoles.

Personally, I think there's too much hype around VR as it is. I'm glad Microsoft is focusing its efforts elsewhere. VR is really just a curiosity for most people, and it's getting an excessive amount of media coverage.
It's a cool idea, but in order to have a fully immersive experience, you need to invest a lot of money in all the proper peripherals; and it'll take many years before all the kinks are ironed out.

At the end of the day, most people will prefer to just look at a regular screen and play. Having to crane your neck around to see your environment will get tiring, and the 3D effect will become stale and tiresome on the eyes.

B-rad

B-rad

Press On
Legendary Veteran 10th Anniversary Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Games just keep getting better every day. Can you imagine a virtual reality game that you can play on xbox live?

That my friend is where this is going to eventually be headed. I can't wait for the technology to get this advanced and would love to try their HoloLens out when they release it. Let's just hope it's not going to be too drastically expensive. And it just might be.

Something that takes a lot of time and money to make it going to fetch a pretty penny when they distribute the item into stores. I'll still try and buy one though.

FlamingRabbit

FlamingRabbit

'08er
Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I mean, will I actually use it for progressing through games? No, but I think it would be wonderful to use with certain games where the environment is either beautiful or has you on the edge of buildings. :wink:

TheItalianLad

TheItalianLad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I still reckon Microsoft is doing it right, it will be the future of gaming. Which is virtual reality.

B-rad

B-rad

Press On
Legendary Veteran 10th Anniversary Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
I still reckon Microsoft is doing it right, it will be the future of gaming. Which is virtual reality.

Definitely the future of gaming. It will keep getting more high tech the longer they make them. Would be nice to be in a headset, lens free environment that you can play is if you are actually there. It's becoming a sport nowadays. If they go through with VR then it will definitely become a sport.

Top Bottom
Login
Register