Solved Phat Xbox Ventilation Issue

• Thread starter MajorNemesis
  • Start date
  • Views 2,986
M

MajorNemesis

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi guys I have a problem with an xbox ive fixed. I just done the red ring fix but after a while it goes to the two red lights comes up and after restart says something about ventilation. any decent fixes you know about.

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Replacing thermal paste does nothing for the RROD. Heat is not the immediate cause, but was the cause earlier. The two red lights are likely not from ventilation, but from an improper replacement of thermal paste. Head over to radio shack and buy some arctic silver ceramique 2 paste (or another arctic silver variant). But like mojo said, you will likely need a reflow or a reball to fix that Xbox. I advise against the x-clamp fix, or any other youtube fix because they are short lived.

Clean all your paste off by scraping it off with a credit card and using alcohol or goo gone to clean all of it off (you should be able to see your reflection in the chips, and the heatsinks should be completely clean as well. Reapply a **THIN** layer of paste on both chips and smooth it out with your finger so its even. It should not be globbed on. The more paste, the less heat transfer = 2 red lights - but there has to be enough so that you can't see the metal of the chip under it anymore.

Then your heatsinks have to be seated properly to make good contact with the chips. They fins on them should be parallel and facing the back of the Xbox so the fans can pull air through them.

Let me know if you need help with any of this, or if you want a reflow done.

Best of luck

M

MajorNemesis

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for your help fella's. Although I will remember the information you have all given me, I was able to fix the complete xbox without reflowing/reballing. All I did was as you said cleaned off the original thermal paste (which I had actually done prior to posting) and replace it with Arctic Silver 5, put the heat sinks back in place, clean the shell, fans and fan shroud with alcohol, cleaned the dvd drive again with alcohol and put it back together again. This seems to have fixed the problem, and although not a permanent fix seems to have done the job for this one and all the other ones i have fixed for people and none have had a problem since.

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for your help fella's. Although I will remember the information you have all given me, I was able to fix the complete xbox without reflowing/reballing. All I did was as you said cleaned off the original thermal paste (which I had actually done prior to posting) and replace it with Arctic Silver 5, put the heat sinks back in place, clean the shell, fans and fan shroud with alcohol, cleaned the dvd drive again with alcohol and put it back together again. This seems to have fixed the problem, and although not a permanent fix seems to have done the job for this one and all the other ones i have fixed for people and none have had a problem since.

It's always a good thing to get something working again for cheap, but don't be surprised when all those Xbox's break again, because it could be tomorrow, or in a year, but they will.

I'm surprised you got them working without at least doing the x-clamp fix, but its a good thing because down the road they'll at least be repairable because they didnt have the chips didn't have that extensive pressure put on them.

Hope it lasts a while for ya and come back if it dies.

Top Bottom
Login
Register