What's new

Discussion PC part ideas

azdrc29

azdrc29

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys I am wondering what are some good PC parts for a price range of $1,000-$1,500.
If you guys could post some parts so I can get another build under my belt it would be great!
Oh and by the way I would want this desktop to be a gaming computer.

SmashinHearts

HuskyCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KLWf

Good CPU cooler for overclocking. Swappable for a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, but since it's in the budget, why the hell not :tongue:

Has 128gb SSD, put your OS here and some apps here.

Good case, watercooling ready.

One of the best, if not the best 7970 out there.

Corsair HX750W Modular PSU, You can easily Crossfire to 7970's if you want too, if you don't want to crossfire, go with the HX650W.

8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 1600Mhz. Some people have differen't opinions, but I personally love this ram.

Has an ODD, you don't really need this if you install windows and drivers from a USB :rolleyes:

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KNGQ

Basically like SmashinHearts SmashinHearts build except i modified a few things.

Only differences would be the CPU cooler, there's no need to spend more ~30$ on an air cooler, and the evo will do perfectly fine for overclocking. The noctua is good but way overpriced.

The GPU, honestly you don't need to spend more than 300$ on a GPU, the sapphire 7950 will run almost anything completely maxed out (minus crysis 3, but that game brings any machine to its knees) and it overclocks like a champ. Don't pay extra for "GHZ" edition cards because they only come pre-overclocked anyways. And if you need extra power down the road just get a second 7950 and crossfire them.

The HDD because the WD black isn't worth the price for gaming, the blue will serve you just fine and its cheaper.

As for the case, i suggest you pick out the case yourself, because you're the one who will be looking at it and you should like it :smile:

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Just posting that I fully support the Hyper 212 EVO. Its great!

Plus I also think sapphire is a great brand for AMD cards.

P.S. SSDs FTW

SmashinHearts

HuskyCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

Basically like SmashinHearts SmashinHearts build except i modified a few things.

Only differences would be the CPU cooler, there's no need to spend more ~30$ on an air cooler, and the evo will do perfectly fine for overclocking. The noctua is good but way overpriced.

The GPU, honestly you don't need to spend more than 300$ on a GPU, the sapphire 7950 will run almost anything completely maxed out (minus crysis 3, but that game brings any machine to its knees) and it overclocks like a champ. Don't pay extra for "GHZ" edition cards because they only come pre-overclocked anyways. And if you need extra power down the road just get a second 7950 and crossfire them.

The HDD because the WD black isn't worth the price for gaming, the blue will serve you just fine and its cheaper.

As for the case, i suggest you pick out the case yourself, because you're the one who will be looking at it and you should like it :smile:

Yesh, I guess he should go with Evo... And well, he had the money for a 7970, so why the fudge not :tongue: 

Also, if he goes with the 7950, GET THE VAPOR-X :tongue: I can find the vapor-x for cheaper then the Sapphire.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Yesh, I guess he should go with Evo... And well, he had the money for a 7970, so why the fudge not :tongue: 

Also, if he goes with the 7950, GET THE VAPOR-X :tongue: I can find the vapor-x for cheaper then the Sapphire.
I've read that the vapor x is voltage locked :frown: and you may not be able to water cool it either :frown:

SmashinHearts

HuskyCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I've read that the vapor x is voltage locked :frown: and you may not be able to water cool it either :frown:
Really, let me check. crap, it seems so, but I won't do either, I intend to keep clock speeds at 1000/1100

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Really, let me check. crap, it seems so, but I won't do either, I intend to keep clock speeds at 1000/1100
You can go higher than that on stock voltage with the sapphire 7950's :tongue:

I'm at 1100/1575 on stock voltage, and i could probably up the core more but for heat reasons i don't.

SmashinHearts

HuskyCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You can go higher than that on stock voltage with the sapphire 7950's :tongue:

I'm at 1100/1575 on stock voltage, and i could probably up the core more but for heat reasons i don't.
Well, that's what I will do then :o I am so happy, so close to finally buying all of my parts, end of march I get payed, and most will be gone haha

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, that's what I will do then :eek: I am so happy, so close to finally buying all of my parts, end of march I get payed, and most will be gone haha
Haha you should be able to at least get 1100/1450 :tongue: i raised it to 1575 because that's the highest i can go with the memory overclock before having to increase memory voltage.

SmashinHearts

HuskyCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Haha you should be able to at least get 1100/1450 :tongue: i raised it to 1575 because that's the highest i can go with the memory overclock before having to increase memory voltage.
Ok, sweet. temps?(Ultra presets or something)

azdrc29

azdrc29

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KLWf

Good CPU cooler for overclocking. Swappable for a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, but since it's in the budget, why the hell not :tongue:

Has 128gb SSD, put your OS here and some apps here.

Good case, watercooling ready.

One of the best, if not the best 7970 out there.

Corsair HX750W Modular PSU, You can easily Crossfire to 7970's if you want too, if you don't want to crossfire, go with the HX650W.

8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 1600Mhz. Some people have differen't opinions, but I personally love this ram.

Has an ODD, you don't really need this if you install windows and drivers from a USB :rolleyes:
Well thanks so much for the help guys I really appreciate all of the help! What do you guys think for a case? I want a water-cooling case that has some cool LED's any ideas?

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok, sweet. temps?(Ultra presets or something)
i turn the fans manually up to 85% but i can't even hear them over the game volume, and my top card hits around 65C and bottom card 57C, but i'm running crossfire so there's more heat going around :frown: 
Well thanks so much for the help guys I really appreciate all of the help! What do you guys think for a case? I want a water-cooling case that has some cool LED's any ideas?
For a closed loop cooler or custom design?

SmashinHearts

HuskyCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i turn the fans manually up to 85% but i can't even hear them over the game volume, and my top card hits around 65C and bottom card 57C, but i'm running crossfire so there's more heat going around :frown: 

Ah, ok thanks :smile: Also Vapor-X cooler so maybe a bit lower temps, not sure though :tongue:

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Ah, ok thanks :smile: Also Vapor-X cooler so maybe a bit lower temps, not sure though :tongue:
Temps are hard to be for sure on, there are a lot of variables that can determine why a card is running warmer or cooler.

azdrc29

azdrc29

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

I'm thinking custom. I would love your input though.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm thinking custom. I would love your input though.
The only reason to get custom is either A. you're a major enthusiast and love the idea, or B. you want some massive overclocking.

If you plan to watercool the CPU and GPU then custom is the way to go, but if you wanna watercool the CPU then just get a closed loop cooler. Obviously temperature wise a custom design will be a lot cooler but its also more expensive but can be a very fun project as well.

azdrc29

azdrc29

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The only reason to get custom is either A. you're a major enthusiast and love the idea, or B. you want some massive overclocking.

If you plan to watercool the CPU and GPU then custom is the way to go, but if you wanna watercool the CPU then just get a closed loop cooler. Obviously temperature wise a custom design will be a lot cooler but its also more expensive but can be a very fun project as well.
Well I guess what case do you recommend for a custom and what case do you recommend for a closed loop?

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Well I guess what case do you recommend for a custom and what case do you recommend for a closed loop?
Any corsair mid or full tower case would be good for a custom design (preferably full tower because it has more space), the NZXT Phantom full tower would be good as well, CM HAF 932 Advanced or X, any of those would be good for a custom or a closed loop.

What it really boils down to is what case do YOU want, because you'll be the one looking at it.

azdrc29

azdrc29

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Any corsair mid or full tower case would be good for a custom design (preferably full tower because it has more space), the NZXT Phantom full tower would be good as well, CM HAF 932 Advanced or X, any of those would be good for a custom or a closed loop.

What it really boils down to is what case do YOU want, because you'll be the one looking at it.
Thanks so much for the help I really appreciate it! I think I am gonna go with the NZXT Phantom Full. Again thank you!

Top Bottom
Login
Register