Partition Magic/Running 2 OS on 1 laptop help

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HT117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm sure someone here that is a lot smarter than I am when it comes to this type of thing can help me out. What I am trying to do is use Norton's Partition Magic to split up my hard drive and install another OS on the newly partitioned space. The problem that I ran into prior to this post is I followed the on screen instructions and installed another OS on the partition, but for some reason I could only log into the newly installed OS and not my original C-drive OS. I tried to fix the problem in NPM but somehow both were trying to load at the same time so my system crashed. I lost a lot of my files since I had to do a complete system restore, but I still need to be able to do this if at all possible since I need to be setup to have a separate OS partition for my job. If anyone can help me or even just tell me what I might be able to try I would appreciate it. Thanks.

PAN5Y

PAN5Y

Blessed
VIP
10th Anniversary Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Are you trying 2 install linux?

Also if you want to make a new partition for a new os you have to make another letter drive only then can you adjust the size of it.

H

HT117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
PAN5Y said:
Are you trying 2 install linux?

Also if you want to make a new partition for a new os you have to make another letter drive only then can you adjust the size of it.

Thanks for the reply. No I am trying to install Win XP Pro on the partition. I was able to create another letter drive F: (in this case), but I couldn't get it to work. In my understanding, when I turn on my computer, shouldn't it list both OS's and then I can choose which one I want to boot? When I tried doing this before, it gave me two options (both with the same name) but they both started up XP Pro on the F: drive and I couldn't pull up Win XP HE on my C: drive. I don't know what I did wrong.

PAN5Y

PAN5Y

Blessed
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
HT117 said:
Thanks for the reply. No I am trying to install Win XP Pro on the partition. I was able to create another letter drive F: (in this case), but I couldn't get it to work. In my understanding, when I turn on my computer, shouldn't it list both OS's and then I can choose which one I want to boot? When I tried doing this before, it gave me two options (both with the same name) but they both started up XP Pro on the F: drive and I couldn't pull up Win XP HE on my C: drive. I don't know what I did wrong.

Did you split the partition you want and the size?
Also when you install Windows XP it ask you what letter drive you want pick F

And format it. Im not sure what you did wrong bud but im thinking you accidentally formatted the Existing Letter drive in which your other OS is located

H

HT117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks both of you for the reply. So like I mentioned in my previous post how will I be able to switch between both OS's on my machine? Do I choose it in Bootup or what? My understanding is that I do, but I'm not sure.

PAN5Y

PAN5Y

Blessed
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes it will right when you boot the computer it will ask to select an OS heres an example between Ubuntu Linux and Windows
dual-boot-linux-window.jpg

Its like that for anything it could be WinowsXP or Vista/Xp or 2000 and so on

F

ForrrestMaster

If you use paragorn it will allow you to have a boot manager and name each one so you dont get confused. :smile:

H

HT117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to try it again and see if I can get it right this time.

PAN5Y

PAN5Y

Blessed
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
HT117 said:
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to try it again and see if I can get it right this time.
No problem if you need any help post here^_^

H

HT117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok so I attempted to do this again and use Norton Partition Magic since I already paid for it. Anyways, I'm stuck once again and have no clue how to fix the problem. I followed the instructions to the "T" and this time I made sure install BootMagic which came with the software. So this is where I am stuck. I opened bootmagic, enabled it, and then created a new entry for my Original OS and named it accordingly. I then restarted my computer and choose the option to open my original OS and then the screen went black with text that said something to the point of, "preparing to load ...XP" and then it just sits there and does nothing. So I had to just turn off and then turn back on my computer (after waiting about 30 mins) and was able to log into the newly installed OS but now I don't know what to do. Like I mentioned before, I'm a newb to this, but I checked Partiton Magic and my original partiton is hidden (maybe this is normal?). I tried to unhide the partition (so it has a drive letter) hoping it would allow me to boot this OS as well but when the computer restarted and tried to unhide the partition and it gives me a 302 batch error message. Then it starts back up keeping the partition hidden and I'm still not able to boot the original. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it so I can fix this mess.

F

ForrrestMaster

Use Paragon Partition Manager. Its so much better. It fixed my partitioning problem.

Ill PM you the software.

UnknowingAcorn

UnknowingAcorn

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
For partitioning. Put in your Vista disk boot up from disk.

Choose options and then partition your drive. ITs the best way i know of that doesnt require any programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register