What's new

Question Original XBOX Hard Drive Issue

B

BaconWizard17

Reaction score
Sin$
I figured I'd start a new thread instead of clogging up the XBOX softmod/hard drive tutorial with more of my problems.

I've been battling with replacing my XBOX hard drive for weeks now. I tried a SATA drive with the adapter, thought I shorted it, bought another one, realized that there was nothing wrong with the original aside from compatibility, and now I bought an IDE drive that a friend said he's had good success with (this one to be exact). It seems to be working better than the SATA drive, in the sense that I can actually get CHIMP to boot up. The problem is that after I get CHIMP loaded up, it crashes after the first step (Pressing A once the slave drive is connected). The error says something about it not being able to allocate resources, and has the little Linux penguin at the top left.

Here's what I've been doing:
  • Open up the XBOX. Connect the Molex splitter to the original power cable. One end to the existing drive, one end to the new drive
  • Make sure the jumper on the new hard drive is set to cable select
  • Place the new drive on top of the disc drive
  • Boot up the XBOX. Once it gets to the dashboard, wait 5 minutes for the disc drive to go to sleep
  • After 5 minutes, disconnect the IDE cable from the disc drive and plug it in to the new hard drive (usually less than 5 seconds)
  • Go to my applications list and launch CHIMP
  • CHIMP loads up, and asks me to press A once the slave drive is connected
  • After I press A, CHIMP begins to load, and then errors out/crashes and says that it can't allocate resources
  • I get mad and debate throwing the XBOX out the window

I have Rocky5's softmod installed, and I verified that all that works properly. Chimp is in my applications list, and linuxboot.cfg is in my E: drive. I'm at a loss as to what I should do, as I've put a significant amount of time and money into this

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
DeeLaRoc

DeeLaRoc

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
What version of the motherboard is it? I’d just TSOP it if the mobo version is v1.0 to v1.5, or chip it if it’s v1.6. The HDD isn’t probably locking, when you TSOP/Chip it, HDD compatibility goes up.

Top Bottom
Login
Register