What's new

Solved Original Xbox capacitor replacement. Holes on motherboard clogged.

• Thread starter Greens258
  • Start date
  • Views 1,374
G

Greens258

Reaction score
Sin$

Stupidly, I snipped out this capacitor rather than desoldering it and removing it properly. Now the holes are clogged and I’m trying to replace it with a new capacitor.

Any tips on getting those holes cleared? I’ve tried desoldering wick, flux etc. and it’s just not budging

Solution
B

Stupidly, I snipped out this capacitor rather than desoldering it and removing it properly. Now the holes are clogged and I’m trying to replace it with a new capacitor.

Any tips on getting those holes cleared? I’ve tried desoldering wick, flux etc. and it’s just not budging

You've got the correct bits needed to "De-clog" those 2 holes but you need a good strong soldering iron (around 30-40w). The + positive hole is quite easy and the solder should just heat up to remove it but the - negative hole is stubborn to remove the solder.
tip 1-Add a little more solder to both holes (so it'll mix with the solder that's already in there
tip 2.Add plenty of flux to the holes
tip 3.using "De-Solder braid (copper...
B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$

You've got the correct bits needed to "De-clog" those 2 holes but you need a good strong soldering iron (around 30-40w). The + positive hole is quite easy and the solder should just heat up to remove it but the - negative hole is stubborn to remove the solder.
tip 1-Add a little more solder to both holes (so it'll mix with the solder that's already in there
tip 2.Add plenty of flux to the holes
tip 3.using "De-Solder braid (copper braid),remove the solder by placing the braid ontop of the hole,add some solder to your soldering iron tip and gently press on the braid so the braid can suck out the solder from the hole.
tip 4.repeat tip 3 on the second hole.

Solution
Top Bottom
Login
Register