• Views 3,347
Welfare

W E L F A R E

Divine Android Omniscience
Hardened Veteran Grizzled Veteran Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
OptiFog 1.5_01 RELEASED

this is a little mod which optimizes the Fog and Render Distance for better looks and performance.

Version 1.5_01_C ready (ModLoader compatible).

Changes (from 1.4_01):
- General speedup 10-20%
- Occlusion Culling without visual artifacts (Advanced OpenGL)
- Mipmapping fixed, linear works without an alpha filter
- Options moved to video settings screen (no more config file)
- Fixed bug in PreloadedChunks
- Added FAST OcclusionCulling (almost no artifacts visible)
- Turned ON dynamic updates: when the player does not move loads 3 chunks per frame, when moving 1 chunk per frame.
- Removed not needed classes, renamed back some fields. Should help with mod compatibility.
- AdvancedOpenGL and FogType can only be turned on when supported by the hardware.
- Now works with ModLoader

The Optimine version will come later, it is always a lot of work to merge it.

For ModLoader: Install OptiFog AFTER ModLoader.
For MCPatcher (HD Textures): Install OptiFog without the "ip.class" (the mipmaps and fog distance will not be active).
Compatible with: SinglePlayerCommands, TooManyItems.
Not compatible with: GSLS Shaders, Optimine (not yet).

For maximum FPS use:
- Graphics: Fast
- Render Distance: Short/Tiny
- Fog: Fast
- AdvancedOpenGL: Fast

Options:
- AdvancedOpenGL: Occlusion Culling, the game renders only the geometry which is really visible.
OFF - all geometry is rendered (slow)
Fast - agressive, may produce minimal artifacts (but much less than the default Minecraft OC)
Fancy - conservative, should have no artifacts
- Fog: Select fog type if supported by the GPU
Fast - faster, simpler fog
Fancy - slower, better looking fog
- FogStart: Select fog start distance
Min = 0.2 (close to player)
Max = 0.8 (far from player, near to render limits)
- Mipmap Level: how many levels of mipmaps are to be used, decreases the flickering of distant objects, should not affect FPS
Min = 0 - no mipmaps, Minecraft default look
Max = 4 - full mipmaps, some detail may disappear in distant objects
- Mipmap Type: type of mipmaps, minimal FPS effect if any at all
Nearest - faster
Linear - better looking
- Load Far: Enables fast render distance switching without reloading chunks, loads all the terrain at distance Far
- PreloadedChunks: Enables movment in an area without loading new chunks
Min = 0 - no preloading, after moving 5m new chunks will be loaded (default)
Max = 8 - preload 8 chunks, when moving up to 8 chunks (8 x 16m = 128m) no new chunks will be loaded
Bigger values force more chunks to be loaded at startup, which may take some time

Version 1.5_01_B (old): Download 1, Download 2
Prototype 1.5_01 (old): Download 1, Download 2.

*** UPDATED - Added experimental Occlusion Culling (hidden geometry removal) ***
*** UPDATED - Optimine compatible (fixed Nether bug) ***
*** UPDATED - Added texture mipmapping (finally looking good) ***
*** UPDATED - Added chunk loading optimizations (like mod CAF) ***
*** UPDATED - Modular and configurable (install only what you need, configure it as you like it) ***
*** UPDATED - ALL rendering bugs fixed, added dynamic chunk update rate ***

FPS comparison on FANCY:
CODE: SELECT ALL
Far Normal Short Tiny
Plain 1.4_01 8 16 55 155
OptiFog 9 18 58 164
OptiFog_Exp 18 33 82 145

FPS comparison on FAST:
CODE: SELECT ALL
Far Normal Short Tiny
Plain 1.4_01 9 18 59 175
OptiFog 12 28 100 240
OptiFog_Exp 27 50 117 210

The default fog settings in Minecraft are quite bad.
On all distance settings except FAR the game looks foggy with washed-out colors, especially bad on tiny/short.
It may be moody for winter biomes, but irritates everywhere else.
Also Optimine for 1.4_01 was not really working for me, so I decided to fix the problem myself.

What the mod does:
1. Pushes the fog away from the player so that it is only visible as transition on the render limits => looks better
2. Uses a fast fog type on FAST and a better looking fog type on FANCY settings => FPS boost
3. Decreases the render distance a little to get the same visible depth as before. On FAST decreases it even more to compensate for bad fog on screen edges => FPS boost
4. Added experimental Occlussion Culling (hidden geometry removal) so only visible objects are rendered. Helps a lot on bigger render distances, on FAR and NORMAL doubles the FPS.
5. Added Optimine compatible versions (both "inio" and "303" versions of Optimine).
6. Added Texture mipmapping - far distances blend nicely, no more eyestrain.
7. Added chunk loading optimizations, like mod CAF. Configure how much chunks are to be loaded and how fast, define "loading free" walking distance, limit max number of loaded chunks, fast render distance switching without reloading chunks.
8. Modular and configurable. Install only the functions you need. Edit configuration file to turn on/off functions or change parameters. See "Readme.txt" and "optifog.txt" for details.

The original fog starts too close to the player and everything is rendered foggy, especially on short render distances. After correcting the fog more terrain is visible, which is compensated by decreasing the render distance which increases FPS. Plain 1.4_01 always uses the better looking fog type if available, which is SLOW. The mod uses a faster fog type on FAST which is 80% faster on my PC.

The Occlusion Culling (hidden geometry removal) is still experimental. If it is works then the results should be pretty dramatic, my FPS on NORMAL and FAR is doubled :smile:. OC is currently tested on nVidia. I suspect that some ATI cards may have problems with it. Please, check for visual artifacts and report back.

The Optimine version was a dog to get running, but it is all over. Finally!

Classic is updated to better render the sunrise/sunset on FAST.

The mipmapping version may steal 2-3 FPS but the result is nice. Minecraft is finally looking good.

The chunk loading optimizations allow to fine tune the chunk loading so that is does not get in the way. Also fast render distance switching without chunk reloading is possible (like mod CAF).
Added dynamic chunk update rate. When the player is staying still it uses fast update rate to load the map faster, when the player is moving (movement, mouse, actions) uses minimal update rate to keep the FPS high.

See "Readme.txt" and "optifog.txt" for more details.

With the fog away, even shorter render distances look good and are playable.

DOWNLOAD

iLegend

iLegend

Asian Hunny Enthusiast
Retired
Experienced Veteran MotM Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Considering I am playing on a laptop which isn't the greatest gaming machine, this will be great. Thanks for the share, I will be installing this in a few moments.

Nuclear Taco

Nuclear Taco

I Leik Minecraft
Reaction score
Sin$
Considering I am playing on a laptop which isn't the greatest gaming machine, this will be great. Thanks for the share, I will be installing this in a few moments.
It helps alot just male sure to have Proust chunks on 4 it doesn't lag much

Welfare

W E L F A R E

Divine Android Omniscience
Hardened Veteran Grizzled Veteran Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
No problem. Check out this thread to help reduce lag.

Top Bottom
Login
Register