• Thread starter Monopolyman
  • Start date
  • Views 246
M

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my computer and since I'm still repping the 7s mousepad and my passion for VFIO started with this tutorial, I figured this would be a good place to show it off.

Hardware:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core @ 24x 3.8GHz
  • GPU1: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING
  • GPU2: Zotac GT 710
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WiFi
  • RAM: 32GB @ 3200 MHz (CL16)
  • Heatsink: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG

Operating Systems:
  • Host: Fedora Workstation
    • Running Libvirt+KVM to manage QEMU virtual machines
    • Leverages VFIO to pass GPUs to VMs
    • Headless
  • Virtual Machine: Windows 10
    • Primarily used for gaming (including VR)
    • 6 cores / 12 threads
    • GTX 1080 Ti
  • Virtual Machine: Mac OS X Catalina
    • Primary OS for general use, browsing, and development (mostly via SSH to remote Linux machines)
    • GT 710
Picture:

Left monitor is Windows using MobaXTerm to connect to the host to monitor htop and virt-manager. Right monitor is OS X Catalina, which is extended to the left monitor when I'm not using Windows. Also shown is the Das Ultimate 4, which I reviewed here, my Logitech G700 wireless mouse, and my computer.

A

AzzidReign

Man with the plan
Administrator
Reaction score
Sick mousepad bro! The set up is nice as well :tongue: What was the cost of this set up?

Z

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Reaction score
Very cool. I see you switched off Arch, thank god :tongue:. Nice to see you still rocking the VM stuff.

M

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Reaction score
Sick mousepad bro! The set up is nice as well :tongue: What was the cost of this set up?
Hard to say for sure since I've recycled some parts for many years now. The 3900X was on sale at microcenter so I picked up that along with the mobo and case for around $800. The 1080 Ti was $500 (used), RAM around $120, PSU around $70, USB controller $100, and storage probably adds up to around $100. So all together probably put around $1700 into this build. I've been able to resell some stuff and I plan on putting together some old components (Xeon E3-1275, 24GB DDR3, Z77 mobo, 500W PSU, and my previous cooler master case) to make a 24/7 Linux box for development (I like to do all my development on a remote Linux machine, currently using a Digital Ocean droplet) and hosting game servers. All in all I'd definitely say my money has been well spent lol.

Very cool. I see you switched off Arch, thank god :tongue:. Nice to see you still rocking the VM stuff.
Haha yeah after working in the industry with RHEL I switched to Fedora and haven't looked back. The only thing I occasionally miss is the AUR, but 9/10 times it's just as easy to build stuff from source.

I took a break from VMs because my hardware just wasn't good enough for VR gaming in a VM (motherboard had terrible IOMMU grouping which resulted in weird latencies), but with this hardware upgrade I'm finally able to do everything I want.

Top Bottom