NXE might open a new door?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by x Freedom x, Nov 19, 2008 with 17 replies and 671 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x Freedom x

x Freedom x Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I am just pondering over this but it comes to mind,

You are able to copy games onto your Xbox 360 HDD but you must have the disc in for it to boot it up or it will say "Please Insert This Disc".

It makes me think if the DVD drive is only reading the disc for a small fraction of time in order to make sure the disc is there then would it be possible just to find a game that has the similar portion it reads or maybe even put whatever files needed for it to just boot up to the HDD.

I am sure there has to be a way.

2. Kowban

Kowban Enthusiast

Ratings:
    i was thinking the exact same thing ... ive already copied cod WaW to my hard drive since i only rented it and need to take it back ... im hoping somone can find something to make this work .. but im thinking that its going to be too complex as usual haha

3. XanderChaos

XanderChaos Member

Ratings:
    I'm looking into it, but I don't know as much about how the 360 works as I should. Lots of people here know waaay more than me. I found the addresses in the CON header of HDD-installed games for the game folder it reads from (which I belive also is the game ID) and the number of data chunks read (notice how the files in the {content}.data folder are named Data000, Data001, Data 002 ect). Also the data chunks don't have a standard CON header but they have hash tables to verify the content. I'm not sure what everything up to 0x1000 in the chunks are, though. I have been able to get the disc to load, but got an error message after, which is further than before when it just asked for me to insert the wrong disc. A resigner would really help, though. :x3:

I want to play Fallout 3 some more after I return it. I don't want to see mass piracy on the 360. I've seen what that did to the PSP. I really just want this for personal use.

4. xl All Pro lx

xl All Pro lx Member

Ratings:
    good luck with this. im sure its possible but going to take awhile

5. David5534

David5534 Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Im sure its not, you think M$ would just not do anything with games file security? After all that effort to stop people with flashed xboxs they would just say who cares if we make it much much easier to get free games?

6. GTORacer

GTORacer Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I dont believe it'll take long, but i got a question what is the point of the quick launch thing, if u have to have the disk in?

7. Noupoi

Noupoi Contributor

Ratings:
    Quick launch. It's in the name. It loads and starts up faster, plus it's quieter.

8. Danhrules

Danhrules VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be possible simply through a new DVD firmware. But if the 360 ever gets properly cracked to run homebrew, then it'd probably be one of the first apps out :tongue:

9. coldremedy

coldremedy Newbie

Ratings:
    i think it's only a matter of time until someone can emulate the real disc being in the drive, maybe an app that we could run from our usb drives? idk but ms made it a little easier by giving us the option to install games.

10. DrXthirst

DrXthirst Join Date: March 2006

Ratings:
    Besides the fact that it's already been figured out, I think it will take a while to get to the public. However, homebrew for the Xbox 360 isn't that far away either...

Anyways, I'm just throwing those 2 things out there.

11. Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty Free Sosa #bangbang Premium

Ratings:
    proof?

12. nickcas

nickcas Member

Ratings:
    Why would you quote that part of what he said? I'm more concerned about the "Homebrew isn't that far away either..." part.

Could you tell us a little more about what you mean by the homebrew part? As in does base kernel matter, etc?

13. going down00

going down00 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    PS3's have the same thing but they haven't been cracked. We dont even know if the "WHOLE" game is on there it may just be a raw dump of a sort that loads quicker. Until further research is done we dont know weather of not this can be done. Give people time to look into it.

dont think im trying to be mean just crudely honest.

Not to mention the mass amount of encryption the file are gona have....

14. Noah ATR

Noah ATR Enthusiast

Ratings:
    what about if you install the retail copy of a game and then have a backup version in the drive for verification?

15. XanderChaos

XanderChaos Member

Ratings:
    You'd need a modded drive for it to read the disc in the first place. I'd think that it would make modded drives less noticable, though. :x3: I could try to hack it some more, but my only resigner is the 360gs one and it wont take my modified header. Unless someone will resign for me, I can't try anything. Unless the private keyvaults are leaked, I doubt anyone will be able to hack it. 'Course if someone did find out and made it public, the 360 would get flooded with piracy. Not what I want to see happen.

16. David5534

David5534 Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Most likely no one will resign for you because if you could hack it then you would have you own KV and wouldn't need someone else to resign for you.

17. DrXthirst

DrXthirst Join Date: March 2006

Ratings:
    None needed, as it doesn't affect the general public.

All I was told is that a custom homebrew/modded kernel has been under works for the Xbox 360 for a while and that they're coming close to releasing.

18. nickcas

nickcas Member

Ratings:
    Oh nice, too bad it would only work for the exploitable consoles though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.