• Start date
  • Views 19,217
XboxElement

XboxElement

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
How to mod Halo 3 .map files on a retail xbox 360

Now that modding is possible with a jtag'd xbox I've been doing some modding. Ive mainly been using alteration(Xenon7.com/files/programs/alteratio...ration_0052.rar) I've been looking around and it seems there is very very little on actually modding halo3. So I've started this forum in hopes that people start messing around with alteration and discuss what they did and how they did it.

Please, read the next few lines!!!!

---->This is all done on a RETAIL xbox.<----

You only can mod on JTAG exploited xbox.
I am not going to explain this here. There are many tutorials, here is a good one. (Complete Guide To Installing Xbreboot For Noobs - Scenyx Entertainment Community)

You CANNOT move files from map to map.

Some maps do not have all the things I talk about. If you don't find something, its either your plugins(Try to find the most up to date plugins), or your map isn't compatible.

With that said, I've been using alteration and its pretty powerful.

In alteration there is a "Editors tab" next to a "Documents" tab. For most modding (at least so far in my experience) you do it in Editors --> Meta Editor. Then you select the tag on the left that you want, so possibly [weap] objectsweaponassault_rifleassault_rifle. And that opens up all information on assault rifles.

Most of the map names are here. I might add my own list if i get some time.

Alteration has a lot of unknown values that you can change, the creator of alteration never intended for it to go public so he didn't make it idiot proof. Your going to have to experiment with all the different values if you really want to. They will change stuff, it just doesn't say what. YOU CAN MESS YOUR MAPS UP, so back them up. As a matter of fact you ARE going to mess your maps up if you are messing with stuff, which is good, just make sure you back up. But now for more of the tut part.

Saving is a pain on alteration. If your under the assault rifle tab and want to compare something to the BR tag. You MUST click save at the bottom before you switch tabs or the properties will switch back. Although you can make multiple tabs to switch back and forth, in which you don't need to save each time. You will find this out the hard way.

There is an "Show Invisibles" This will show more values, some labeled some not.

VEHICLE MODS

How to make a Warthog really fast:
1.) Go to [vehi] objectvehicleswarthogwarthog
2.) In the Meta Editor scroll down to Motion Properties
3.) Mess around with these settings, but i found that on sandtrap these are good settings: Unknown (Turning Related) 1.4, Max Left Turn 0.9599311, Max Right turn -0.9599311, Turn Rate 6.283185, Horse Power? 5000, Vehicle Speed 60, Human Vehicle Weight 0.25, Covenant Vehicle Weight 1.
4.)Now I'm not sure how much this changes things but i put "Fraction of Total Mass" to 10 in "Friction Points". Again feel free to mess around with it.
5.)Now if you run it like that and hit something(Which you will. TRUST me.) the game will freeze up because of the current collision detection method. So go up to the top and where it says "Collision Damage" "cddf" "globalscollision_damagevehicle_medium" change it to "globalscollision_damageinvulnerable_harmless"
p.s. This doesn't make your warthog invulnerable in any way, it just reacts like it is an invulnerable.
Also, you can do this with elephants and stuff, but the values are way different.

How to Make Anything Drivable:

THIS ONE IS NOT MINE! I do not take credit for it. It's pretty hard to do, but really cool.
https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/th...hing-drivable-using-map-mods-in-halo-3.82545/

How to Make a Wraith hog/Tank hog: - Credit to worf65
1.)Open the hlmt tag of the vehicle. (ex. objectsvehicleswarthogwarthog)
2.)Scroll down to "OBJECTS" then change the "child object" to whatever vehicleturret you want (ex. objectsvehiclesscorpionturretscannoncannon

--you can change which variant you are editing by changing the variants chunk under "variants" (default for warthog is the chaingun hog but you can also change the turrets on the troop or gauss hogs)

4.)Open the vehi tag for the vehicle being changed (ex. objectsvehicleswarthogwarthog)
5.)Go to seats and check off "Gunner" to allow you to fire the new turret from the driver seat.

How To Make A Mongoose Into A Motorcycle: - Credit to chrisco
1.) Go to the [mode] tag
2.) Find the Mongoose
3.) Find the NODES Section under the Meta Editor
4.) Change the X,Y,Z CENTERS to these coordinates:

Chunk: 0
Hull
X = 0.05000141
Y = 9.100522E-08
Z = -0.3

Chunk: 1
cargo_shelf
X = 255
Y = 255
Z = 255

Chunk: 2
ramp
X = -0.3769776
Y = -0.1417286
Z = 1.918476E-07

Chunk: 3
steering
X = -0.3729415
Y = -8.423182E-08
Z = -0.1794788

Chunk: 4
suspension_lb
X = 0.2640099
Y = -0.2
Z = -0.22121

Chunk: 5
suspension_lf
X = -0.07918856
Y = -0.2
Z = -0.2096452

Chunk: 6
suspension_rb
X = 0.2640099
Y = 0.2
Z = -0.22121

Chunk: 7
suspension_rf
X = -0.07918856
Y = 0.2
Z = -0.2096452

Chunk: 8
wheel_lb
X = 0.3864515
Y = -0.49
Z = -0.14

Chunk: 9
universal_lf
X = -0.2849999
Y = -0.38
Z = -0.1400001

Chunk: 10
wheel_rb
X = 0.3864515
Y = 0.49
Z = -0.14

Chunk: 11
universal_rf
X = -0.2849999
Y = 0.38
Z = -0.1400001

Chunk: 12
wheel_lf
X = -0.2849985
Y = -0.49
Z = -0.14

Chunk: 13
wheel_rf
X = -0.2849985
Y = 0.49
Z = -0.1400001

WEAPON MODS

How to Make an Assault Rifle Shoot Elephants:

Before I go on, I would like to say, this is how you change ALL!! projectiles. Follow this tut if you want to change BR shooting grenades, or Snipers shooting Spartan Lasers. Just change the values, with alteration its VERY easy.
1.) Go to [weap] objectsweaponassault_rifleassault_rifle
2.) Go down to "BARRELS"
3.) Find "Projectile"
4.) Change the first drop down menu to vehi and the second to objectslevelsmultishrinebehemoth
behemoth
p.s. Be careful with this, shoot to many and you will freeze your xbox lol.

How to Have Full Auto:

1.)Go to [weap] --> the weapon you want.
2.)Go to "NEW TRIGGER"
3.)Find "Behavior"
4.)Change to spew.
5.)Go to "BARRELS"
6.)Find "Fire Recovery Time(Seconds)"
7.)Change that value to 0.
8.)To fire faster, change "Rounds Per Second"

How to Have Unlimited Ammo:

1.) Go to [weap]--> the weapon you want.
2.)Go to options at the very bottom.
3.)Click "Show Invisables"
4.)It will reload. After that find "MAGAZINE"
5.)Change "rounds total initial", "rounds total maximum", "rounds reloaded", "Max Rounds Held" all to whatever you want to be.
6.)NOTE!!: Since it is an in16 you cannot chose a number higher then 32768 or it will crash.(that goes for all int16 values)

How to edit weapon damage - Credit to SotG Caboose

1. Go to [jpt!] - damage_effect
  2. Select a weapon (or you can select explosion damage, boarding damage, etc)
  3. Change the Damage Lower Bound, Damage Upper Bound(min), and Damage Upper Bound(max). Scroll down and you can also edit player responses (screen flash rate, screen flash color, etc)
  4. Click save changes when you're done.

How to edit projectile speed: - Credit to SotG Caboose

1. Go to [proj] - projectile.
2. Select a projectile.
3. Editors -> Meta Editor.
4. Scroll down and find "Initial Velocity", and "Final Velocity".
5. Change them to whatever you like.
6. Save changes when you're done.

CHARACTER MODS

How to Superjump:

1.) This one is pretty easy. Go to [biped] objectscharactersmasterchiefmp_masterchiefmp_masterchief. (select elite if you want the alien obviously)
2.) Go down to "WEAPONS"
3.) Find "Jump Velocity" and change it, 10 on sandtrap makes you go really high, but feel free to experiment.
Super jumping is a pain because you still have the same control over your acceleration in the air as when you jumped normally. To fix this go to:
4.)Go to [matg]
5.)Select globalsglobals
6.)Go down to "PLAYER INFORMATION"
7.)Change "Airborne Acceleration" to anything you want. I found that 20 works good.

How to Get Super Speed:

1.)Go to [matg] (globals)
2.)Select globalsglobals
3.)Go down to "PLAYER INFORMATION"
4.)Change What you want, "Run Foraward", "Run Backwards", " Run Sideways", pretty self explanitory.

How to Climb Walls:

1.) This one is easy as well. Go to [biped] objectscharactersmasterchiefmp_masterchiefmp_masterchief. (select elite if you want the alien obviously)
2.) Go down to "WEAPONS"
3.) Find "Movement" with all the check boxes next to it. Check "Climb Any Surface"

How To Be Invincible:

1.)Go to [hlmt]
2.)Select which character you want. (Elite or MC)
3.)Go down to "HEALTH/DAMAGE"
4.)In the first "flags" check box, check "Cannot Die From Damage"

How to change what your character looks like.(Model) - Credit to LeeringPaladin

1. Open map in Alteration.
2. Open [Hlmt] -object_properties
3. Open one of these depending on who you want to change:
- objectscharacterselitemp_elitemp_elite
- objectscharactersmasterchiefmp_masterchiefmp_m asterchief
- objectscharactersmonitormonitor_editor
4. Click editors and change to Meta editor.
5.The top thing should say "Model" on the left. Just choose what you want to change in to from the drop down list on the right of "Model".
6.Save.

MAP MODS

How to edit death barriers - Credit to SotG Caboose

1. Go to [scnr] - scenario.
  2. Click on levelsmulti<map name><map name>.
  3. Find "Trigger Volumes".
  4. Each chunk is a different death barrier.
  5. Change the Positions X, Y, Z and the Extents X, Y, Z to your liking.
  6. Click save changes when you're done.

How to edit locals (In-game messages, etc) - Credit to SotG Caboose

1. At the very top there are two tabs: "Tags" and "Other".
  2. Select the "Other" tab.
  3. Click "Locale and String Editor".
  4. To the right, there will be two tabs at the top, "Locals" and "Strings"
  5. Click Locals.
  6. Scroll through the list and find one to change, or to the right you can apply a filter. For example type "Suicide" and click apply filter.
  7. Once you have selected one, on the right you can change what it says.
  8. Click save changes when you're done.

How To Change Items That Are Placed Through Forge: - Credit to Glitch100

1. Go to the [scnr] Scenario tag.
2. Scroll down to the groups such as FORGE VEHICLES, FORGE WEAPONS etc
3. Go to whichever you wish to edit, for example FORGE OBSTACLES
4. Each chunk is a different item so just swap out what you would rather place, and remember the name of the item that was originally there.
5. Save your changes and your done.
6.(Optional) Go to the 'Locale and String Editor'; Search what the original item was that you replaced, and change the name of it to the new item.

GRAPHIC MODS

How to swap a model shader - Credit to SotG Caboose

1. Go to [mode] - model.
  2. Click on whatever models shader you want to change.
  3. Find "Shaders".
  4. Select the chunk you want to edit.
  5. Change the shader to whatever you want.
  6. Click save changes when you're done.

How to swap BSP shaders: - Credit to SotG Caboose

1. Open any map.
  2. Go to [sbsp] - scenario_structure_bsp.
  3. Select "levelsmulti<map name><map name>.
  4. Editors -> Meta Editor.
  5. Find "Shaders" (Not "Predicted Shaders").
  6. Each chunk is a different shader, select a chunk you want to change.
  7. Swap the shader in the Shader dropdown box.
  8. Save changes when you're done.

GAME MODS

How to remove un-allowed service tags: - Credit to SotG Caboose

1. Open mainmenu.map
  2. At the very top there are two tabs: "Tags" and "Other".
  3. Select the "Other" tab.
  4. Click "Locale and String Editor".
  5. To the right, there will be two tabs at the top, "Locals" and "Strings"
  6. Click Locals.
  7. To the right type in "M00" and click "Apply Filters"
  8. Click on the only locale that appears and make it blank.
  9. Save changes.

This is what this thread is about. This is a discussion forum. I would really like people to post there ideas on mods. No matter how basic or advanced. If you post how to do it. Ill move it up and give you credit for it.

Here are some things I would like to see:

1.)Flying, obviously haha. There is a flying check box in biped but it just makes you stand still. You can go into the monitor and move but when you come out you just stand there. So if some people were to mess around with that, that would be pretty cool.

2.)Change the acceleration of vehicles: I'm sure i'm just missing something and this is pretty easy to do. But make it so the elephant doesn't start out going 1 mph. I know there is an acceleration scale, but changing it doesn't seem to effect anything.

3.)Removing/Ignoring Invisible Walls: Find what makes invisible walls exist, or just how they behave and change it?

Now for the fun part, you all download alteration, start messing around with it and post your tuts here and ill move them up to my post, if I can keep up with this thread.

Feel Free to leave a Thank if you like the thread.
And if this gets helpful and big enough, wouldn't mind it getting stickied. :tongue:

Lets have some fun!

SharpGhost

SharpGhost

Reach for the Stars
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit Sinner Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
This a fantastic way to start off your stay at Seven Sins. Good post, good findings, hopefully people will begin to mod this game more. Looks very interesting.

D

Doob E Snack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Everything you have listed has been done for a very long time but this info is could be a good start for all the jtag xbox modders. If you need any help with anything just msg through aim. :biggrin:

Besides transferring items from map to map. Had to clear that up for halodude he got confused.

username22

username22

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
59714734.jpg

dude please tell me where/how would i incrase the auto aim for the battle rifle?
its like ages ago for me since modding h2 lol
we are laning here a lot haha

H

HeatgraveKiller

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
oh nooo i sence halo 3 modding coming back to life halo 3 should be popular again :thumbup:

T

tactr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
username22 said:
dude please tell me where/how would i incrase the auto aim for the battle rifle?
Halo 3 has a sick amount of auto aim. Just buy better interwebz.

H

Halodu2de

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Doob E Snack said:
Everything you have listed has been done for a very long time but this info is could be a good start for all the jtag xbox modders. If you need any help with anything just msg through aim. :biggrin:

Since when did you move tags from map to map >>.

username22 said:
59714734.jpg

Just go to the battle rifle weapon tag... it's labeled right there...

D

Doob E Snack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Halodu2de said:
Since when did you move tags from map to map >>.

Just go to the battle rifle weapon tag... it's labeled right there...

I didnt say you could. I said most of what he had wanted to know was very easy and was done before. And I helped him through aim rather then showing him a pic of a meta editor when he asked to know how to make a weapon full auto. :wink:

187Modz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
HeatgraveKiller said:
oh nooo i sence halo 3 modding coming back to life halo 3 should be popular again :thumbup:

unlikely, because this can only be done offline (i think)

XboxElement

XboxElement

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, you can only mod offline, but they are working on removing the 30ms ping limit from system link. And making a network called kai link (i think). Then everything will be allowed, even halo mods. I'm not sure how match matching will work...i doubt it will, but custom games will. And thats when the real modders come out :smile:

username22

username22

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
kai was there even before the first halo came out (HCE)
xbox connect is much bether for system link, what was that fun playing halo there, hangemhigh chillout prisoner ... anyone :thumbup:

187Modz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
misterturtle said:
Yes, you can only mod offline, but they are working on removing the 30ms ping limit from system link. And making a network called kai link (i think). Then everything will be allowed, even halo mods. I'm not sure how match matching will work...i doubt it will, but custom games will. And thats when the real modders come out :smile:

cant wait, id love to show my **** to friends

XboxElement

XboxElement

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I don't THINK with kai you can do matchmaking. Matchmaking probably has some connection to microsofts live connection. I don't know but i only think. But personally i hope you cant do matchmaking. It would be so stupid over kai link. You would never be able to get in a game becasue EVERYONE would be bridging to use there mods.

H

Halodu2de

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Doob E Snack said:
I didnt say you could. I said most of what he had wanted to know was very easy and was done before. And I helped him through aim rather then showing him a pic of a meta editor when he asked to know how to make a weapon full auto. :wink:

"*Everything
* you have listed has been done for a very long time..."

Top Bottom
Login
Register