No Video but full audio

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by PFcam, Dec 18, 2008 with 9 replies and 631 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PFcam

PFcam Enthusiast

Ratings:
    my friends 360 recently lost its video image, but it still has audio. It'll still play games and everything and you can hear the audio, but it just shows a blank screen. Its not the cord because we tried the cord on another xbox and it worked fine. No ring of death or any other form of error message. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?

2. tOxiC x

tOxiC x Member

Ratings:
    I had this same error and had to send it back to m$. When I called they told me to buy a new wire so I blew about $30 on a wire, and it did not resolve it. Better of sending it back to m$ and paying the $140 or if you still have a warranty.

3. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    The problem is probably with your motherboard.

Perform the towel trick to give yourself the red ring of death. Wrap you 360 up in towels and leave it on. Let it overheat and after a little while you'll get it.

At this point send to microsoft and they'll fix everything for free.

Use this as a last resort if your positive it's an internal issue.

4. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:
    If its an external issue he could see it...........

5. T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    No video is probably a GPU failure.

I don't think the X-Clamp/Towel Tick/BGA pin resolder would fix it because the Red Ring problem lies within the solder connection from the GPU pins and the motherboard. No video and audio points in the direction of a GPU failure, but not a broken solder connection.

6. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    Yeah, but doesn't microsoft send it back completely fixed if you have the RRoD, even if you have more issues?

That would be a lot better then paying for repair.

7. T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Microsoft sends you a refurb with a new motherboard for any repair.

The only problem with inducing the RROD on a console that most likley has a busted GPU is that there could be a broken circuit on the GPU chip itself, which means the circuity in the GPU could be inturppted and the GPU would not draw any power from the motherboard, therfore making it impossible or take a lot longer to force the RROD.

8. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    Okay I see what your saying now.

We'll I guess it's worth a try. I don't know if this would work but maybe taking the fans out could help induce the RRoD if it is possible with your situation.

9. T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Only problem is you have to break the seal to take the fans out :tongue:
    If you block the fan vents it would have the same effect, just a lot noisier.

10. MadGeo

MadGeo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I have the exact same problem was playing Fable2 3 days ago when all of a sudden the gfx went to what appeared to be 256 colours. Went back to the dashboard and the same thing. Did the towel trick for 30mins, let it cool for 30 and the picture returned.

Though it only lasted for about 25hours of usage time as the same thing happended again.

Im considering opening it up (ive already done that to flash it) and using some artic silver on the gpu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.