What's new

Discussion NO Campaign to be in Call of Duty Black Ops 4!!

Ryan

Ryan

Retired
Retired
Scaling the Mountain Santa's Helper Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$

From Polygon:

" The sources, who asked for anonymity, said that as Black Ops 4’s release date approached, it became evident that development on the single-player campaign wouldn’t be completed. One source said Treyarch has since focused Black Ops 4’s development on expanding multiplayer and the series’ popular Zombies mode. The source described an emphasis on cooperative modes as a potential stand-in for the typical single-player campaign experience.

Polygon reached out to Activision, and Activision stated, “We don’t comment on rumor and speculation. We look forward to revealing Black Ops 4 on May 17th.”

This would be the first Call of Duty game in history to not have a campaign mode. Every Call of Duty game since Call of Duty’s start in 2003 has had a story line.

Activision is expected to reveal the details on Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 at a reveal event on May 17."

Whats your thoughts on Call of Duty Black Ops 4 having no Campaign but possibly Battle Royale instead?! Personally, I think it's the change that Call of Duty has needed for a long time, I'm looking forward to seeing more and more information getting leaked as we get nearer to October 12th. :thumbsup:

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Mythical Veteran Trifecta TotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
hats your thoughts on Call of Duty Black Ops 4 having no Campaign but possibly Battle Royale instead?! Personally, I think it's the change
Even though I love Treyarch, I won’t be buying it. I know that “no one buys CoD for campaign anymore,” but why is that? WaW, MW, BO1, and MW2 had amazing campaigns. The solution isn’t to take campaign away. The solution is to get better writers and make something of quality like how campaign was done back in the day.

As far as a Battle Royale mode goes, it apparently works fine in CoD Online (the CoD that is played in China). Inb4 lawsuit from PUBG if they get anywhere against Fortnite. I doubt it though.

Fogel

Fogel

Call Me Mclovin!
Reaction score
Sin$
Even though I love Treyarch, I won’t be buying it. I know that “no one buys CoD for campaign anymore,” but why is that? WaW, MW, BO1, and MW2 had amazing campaigns. The solution isn’t to take campaign away. The solution is to get better writers and make something of quality like how campaign was done back in the day.

As far as a Battle Royale mode goes, it apparently works fine in CoD Online (the CoD that is played in China). Inb4 lawsuit from PUBG if they get anywhere against Fortnite. I doubt it though.
I believe there is no real proof of any type of lawsuit against fornite from the creators of pub g. I could be wrong but that would be like call of duty having a lawsuit against battlefield just because they are the same genre, if it’s real I doubt they will get anywhere. But back on topic, it will not be Battle Royale I can almost promise that because it’s not call of duty style and it’s pointless to even try to compete against the two biggest heavy hitters that started it all. As for taking out story mode I saw this coming long ago and I’m surprised it’s just happening now. And I don’t believe it’s because of bad storyline but because there just plain no interest in it anymore.

TheBoss2321

TheBoss2321

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
No campaign probably explains why it's releasing a month early i can't stand Battle Royale and with the videos on youtube believing it's going to be like overwatch if that's the case the community are going to be very disappointed from this point am losing hope.

But at least it's something different it might actually turn out amazing just have to wait and see if the rumours are true or false.

Extinct

Extinct

絶滅
Super Moderators
Content Team
Bug Finder Frame In Gold Glitcher
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I heard something about how activision didn't like the campaign when treyarch brought it to them so they just scraped it because it was to late to rewrite it. But I don't know if that's true or not. Either way I miss when the campaigns on Call of Duty were somewhat good. I'm just excited to see how zombies will be.

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
could be wrong but that would be like call of duty having a lawsuit against battlefield just because they are the same genre, if it’s real I doubt they will get anywhere
I agree. It’s sort of like how no one has ever tried to patent capture the flag or whatever game modes.
But back on topic, it will not be Battle Royale I can almost promise that because it’s not call of duty style and it’s pointless to even try to compete against the two biggest heavy hitters that started it all.
I agree that it is not call of duty style, but I wouldn’t put it past them to try to do it. Again, the Chinese version of CoD already does a Battle Royale. I see why though it seems silly to do.
As for taking out story mode I saw this coming long ago and I’m surprised it’s just happening now. And I don’t believe it’s because of bad storyline but because there just plain no interest in it anymore.
I see what you’re saying. However, I think that “no interest” in campaign anymore stems from the last few CoD campaigns being of lesser quality than the glory days. I think plenty of COD players still like single player experiences.
ither way I miss when the campaigns on Call of Duty were somewhat good. I'm just excited to see how zombies will be
I was thinking to myself today that if BO4 launches with 15-20 multiplayer maps and 3-5 zombies maps (the size of Shadows of Evil or Mob of the Dead), I admit I would be very tempted to buy it. I’m just worried that it will be like past CoD’s in terms of content but without the campaign (2/3 of a game).

Casp

Casp

VIP
VIP
Retired
Platinum Record Scaling the Mountain TotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Inb4 lawsuit from PUBG if they get anywhere against Fortnite. I doubt it though.
This has already been covered somewhat but Battle Royale is an idea and not an execution or interpretation, so just having a Battle Royale game mode wouldn't draw a lawsuit. I think Fortnite is on the ropes because of how similar it is to PUBG, namely the mechanics. I think the building conceit is what will ultimately prevent Fortnite from getting hit with a lawsuit because it's a central part of the game. Arma 3 and H1Z1 had Battle Royale modes, if I remember correctly, and those were released before PUBG. It would be quite difficult to successfully carry out such a lawsuit because of how simple PUBG is. I think the only way Activision could get in trouble is if they just copy/paste the game, and even then, such a lawsuit would just end up settled out of court.
As for Black Ops 4 not having a campaign, I guess I find it sort of a relief. Call of Duty has been struggling to make decent campaigns since Modern Warfare 3, dating back nearly seven years. The emphasis has clearly been on multiplayer and if they want to go take the sick dog out back and shoot it, I guess that's their call. It's obviously been a burden and Activision-mandated requirement for them to develop campaigns for these games, and there is a laziness that comes from the later campaigns. No real effort, passion, or personality is injected into them anymore, and there hasn't been any for years. I don't think there's any coming back from that. It's been eight years since a good campaign. Let it die.
I most likely won't be buying this title or any future titles, anyway, so I don't know why I'm talking. I don't think there would be much worth missing in this campaign so I guess I'm not too upset about its absence.

Extinct

Extinct

絶滅
Super Moderators
Content Team
Bug Finder Frame In Gold Glitcher
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I was thinking to myself today that if BO4 launches with 15-20 multiplayer maps and 3-5 zombies maps (the size of Shadows of Evil or Mob of the Dead), I admit I would be very tempted to buy it. I’m just worried that it will be like past CoD’s in terms of content but without the campaign (2/3 of a game).
We'll just have to wait and see but without a campaign, everything else better be loaded with content/variety. Then I'll decide to get it or not based off that.

Aghast

Aghast

Retired
Retired
TotM Stickied Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
Call of Duty overall has been disappointing the past few years and campaign isn't the only example of this either. Honestly, I haven't been excited for this series in a long time and even when I give their games a try with an open mind, I feel disappointed every time ever since the Black Ops 2 days. This is nothing but another desperate attempt to squeeze every little dollar out of the franchise as possible with a mode similar to PUBG and Fortnite. No passion or actual effort anymore and I don't believe that the removal of the campaign is a positive change either. I've only done this with Advanced Warfare but I might not be buying this year's Call of Duty.

Harry

Harry

Dope
Programmer Mythical Veteran Journalist
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I hadn't heard of this change being implemented, I'm a little disappointed in this news. I enjoyed the campaign in all of the Black Ops games, I wish they would have kept it going for BO4. If it was a new title, then I wouldn't have minded the lack of campaign. I won't be buying the game regardless, as I'm past the COD stage of my life as every game lacks the ability to spark my interest now. I'm sure though not many people buy these games for the campaign, they just jump straight on Multiplayer anyway.

Marvelous

Marvelous

(∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Grammar Nazi Stickied Bright Idea
Reaction score
Sin$
What?! Now i'm not getting this game.. I only play CoD for the campaign. -Nobody

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
What?! Now i'm not getting this game.. I only play CoD for the campaign. -Nobody
At a certain time, the campaigns for CoD games were seen as so good that the multiplayer was just a bonus or an extra. Nowadays though, I guess CoD's identity has changed. CoD used to tell harsh stories depicting historic conflicts whereas now it is more catered to the lowest common denominator of gamer looking for an FPS that can be jumped right into.

TheBoss2321

TheBoss2321

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
None of this isn't 100% confirmed just wait and see don't let your hopes go down the hill.

Adolfin

Adolfin

Your Mom's Favourite VIP
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit End of the Year 2018 Platinum Record
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
If this game does turn out to not have a campaign mode, I wonder what the achievements/trophies will be once the game launches.

DoPeWAFFL3

DoPeWAFFL3

Chillstep
Bright Idea Frame In Gold Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I guess well just have to wait a day and find out. I could see it though. Hell the campaign + multiplayer games I download on my Xbox one are over 60 GB :O

GrayRat

GrayRat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
That is not a good sign for the industry. Who is gonna cut the campaigns from their games next? Hope this doesn't spread.

D

Drxxbyplz

Reaction score
Sin$
I knew there wouldn't be a Campaign. All they talked about was Multiplayer and Battle Royale. Hit scan BR will be interesting.

Top Bottom
Login
Register