What's new

Solved New to ROOTing Androids, need more information.

• Thread starter lildeadman V2
  • Start date
  • Views 390

Should I root my phone??

• Yes.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
lildeadman V2

lildeadman

Getting There
Grammar Nazi Grizzled Veteran Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
So, I've been looking into rooting my Android here lately so I can make it perform better and also have more control over it. I feel like it's fairly locked down compared to what I really like to have, I love freedom within anything and that is what brought me to root my phone.

I've had this phone, maybe 2 years...probably less. I haven't even updated from Gingerbread yet (2.3) and I think I'd rather root my phone, instead of update the OS to 4.0..

I have the Samsung Galaxy S II on AT&T's network (No, it is not the skyrocket. I've tried many Skyrocket cases and they never fit correctly..),
The model number is I777
Android Version is 2.3.6
Kernel is 2.6.35.7

Could I and should I root my phone? I'd love to get as much information as possible, before I make the decision and there seems to be some well known people on here that know what they're talking about.

Thanks,
Killian M.

Also, I asked one person about it..not real sure if it's true. But would everything be wiped from my phone if I ROOTed it? I've flashed things before in the past and I feel like it's the same thing, ya flash it, ya lose it. So do I need another SD Card to back up everything I need to it or will it all still be there after I install the custom ROM?

Last edited:
TrevTec

TrevTec

Carrie Underwood <3
Reaction score
Sin$
So, I've been looking into rooting my Android here lately so I can make it perform better and also have more control over it. I feel like it's fairly locked down compared to what I really like to have, I love freedom within anything and that is what brought me to root my phone.

I've had this phone, maybe 2 years...probably less. I haven't even updated from Gingerbread yet (2.3) and I think I'd rather root my phone, instead of update the OS to 4.0..

I have the Samsung Galaxy S II on AT&T's network (No, it is not the skyrocket. I've tried many Skyrocket cases and they never fit correctly..),
The model number is I777
Android Version is 2.3.6
Kernel is 2.6.35.7

Could I and should I root my phone? I'd love to get as much information as possible, before I make the decision and there seems to be some well known people on here that know what they're talking about.

Thanks,
Killian M.

Also, I asked one person about it..not real sure if it's true. But would everything be wiped from my phone if I ROOTed it? I've flashed things before in the past and I feel like it's the same thing, ya flash it, ya lose it. So do I need another SD Card to back up everything I need to it or will it all still be there after I install the custom ROM?
Yes, you could and should root your phone if you're planning on getting into it. There's just way more options and everything is unlocked for you to play with. It's easy as long as you carefully follow GOOD directions and read read read read read read read before you do anything. If you root your phone, you will lose anything stored on your phone. Your SD Card will be just fine and untouched, but your phone will be wiped (apps, texts, data, cache, cookies, cake, windshield, microwave, couch, etc.). It's a hassle if you have like 100 apps. They're stored on the Play Store, so you can redownload them, but.... you need to redownload them.. or you could restore with Titanium. And your texts can be backed up as well with an app. If you have anymore questions or links that you would like to be directed to, just let me know.

5tar5cream

5tar5cream

Reaction score
Sin$

The model number is I777
Android Version is 2.3.6
Kernel is 2.6.35.7

Thanks,
Killian M.

Most definitely root!

I have the Galaxy S2 SPH-D710 Running Jelly Bean 4.1.2, and let me tell you its super fast!
Could be the rom or could be the exynos 1.2GHz dual-core processor, Either way you win.

With Root access you can flash and switch between Roms, Kernels, Modems, and even skins.
I can assist you if you'd like, Just PM me

lildeadman V2

lildeadman

Getting There
Grammar Nazi Grizzled Veteran Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm pretty much all up for it, I'm just worried about my charge port. I have to have my phone at a certain angle for it to take charge or connect to a computer, so I'm worried it may get bumped and bricks..

I fell asleep with the charger plugged in and ended up rolling on it and it messed up the connection.

Top Bottom
Login
Register