Solved New Router, New Problem, Same Computer.

Niebz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, so my cousins husband picked up a Belkin N150 wireless router to kind of replace our Verizon Westell (which only allowed us a strict NAT)
This seemed like a great idea, I hooked up the Belkin to the Verizon Westell modem. Dropped the firewalls on the Westell and Belkin. dropped the network key that is needed on both as well so its a fully open connection.
Disabled the wireless on the Verizon Westell then ran cat 5 Ethernet from the Westell to the Belkin and making the Belkin fully wireless. so the Westell at this point is just acting as a modem and the Belkin is acting as our modem/wireless access. (not an access point)
so here's the problem I cannot figure out for the life of me.
For 3 years, I have had no problems connecting to XBL via CAT5 bridging with my desktop, I've done this on XP, vista, and 7. I am currently running windows 7 home premium, I have had no problem with pulling a connection with the Westell (yet it was constantly strict)
but now I cannot pull any connection,
The Xbox doesn't make it past "Network" before failing the "Test Xbox LIVE Connection" with the excuse of being unable to pull an IP address,
Other Notes
under configure network, Settings are automatic.
IP address is set,
Subnet mask is set
Gateway is not,
DNS Primary: nothing
DNS Secondary: Nothing

This is all the info I can think of, at this time, I have reset the adapters, and recently my comp just crashed (just got back online this morning) But I do believe it has something to do with my computer AND the Belkin because when I connected with my cousins laptop (running Windows XP) I got Open NAT, without so much as a hiccup. (but I really don't want to go through dual booting XP just to play XBL)

help please?

Pisces

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it tells you that your Xbox is unable to pull an IP, then the only think I can think of is that the PC you are bridging with is unable to assign the IP address to your Xbox for some odd reason even though your setup looks okay.

Niebz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
see thats what i thought yet i have the same computer, same OS, which was able to connect to the westell with no problem except for the strict NAT. Yet with only the belkin active, i cannot connect with the xbox at all, yet my comptuer has no problem .

Victoria Justice

Contributor
Reaction score
have you tried opening the ports for the 360 and make sure that the plug n Play is enabled on the router

Niebz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-.- no i totally forgot about ports. but yes UPNP is enabled.

EDIT: Enabled ports. Still nothing. (FYI, Firewall is disabled, on computer, belkin, and Westell)

danmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
give it static everything.. I don't know why you have it set to some auto / some manual.

Give it the Gateway address of your router, dns should either be your ISP or your router. Give it an IP in the correct range.. Should solve your issue.

Niebz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Set it all automatic, it only pulls a IP, n subnet, no gateway or DNS,
n I dont know where I would find to set the Primary n Secondary DNS, (as in how would i know what to enter)

EDIT: Tried making everythign static, got back
Can't connect to your network hardware using a static IP Address.

Also tried connecting to PC, no go. Which is odd cause its wired with a Cat 5. comptuer sees it, and vice versa -.-
also computer is a fresh install, so idk why its doing this,

Niebz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SOLVED.
and I feel like a total idiot.

I was bridging the connections, Because that was the only way i knew how when I got windows 7, was bridging. Well turns out just sharing your wireless connection is possible on windows 7 like on XP. and it has the same result.

oh man i feel like such an idiot now. I am so sorry for taking up peoples times on here. I cant believe I over looked that. -.- *face palm*

Thank you all for your help either way.

Top Bottom