• Start date
  • Views 1,540
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LUC1FER

Contributor
Reaction score
So today i finally got all my parts to build my new pc and after i assemble everything i find that the pc doesnt even attempt to power up... is the psu the problem? Its a 400w evga
The board is a MSI B350 matte..

Ps i tested the psu and the fans dont spin and its also making this high pitch noise when testing it with the papper clip method

Any help will be nice this is my first build so i have no idea..

Last edited:
H

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Reaction score
Where's the pitch coming from?

L

LUC1FER

Contributor
Reaction score
Where's the pitch coming from?
Psu...its not loud but i can hear it
I honestly want to know if its the psu so i can get a new one

Last edited:
C

Clepto

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
You could always try borrowing a friends to stick in and see if it works properly, if it does you know it's the PSU.

I'd recommend looking through your motherboard and PSU manual, and just double checking that everything is connected where it should be.

If it does power up but the fans on the PSU aren't spinning, I'd say that's likely the problem as those typically are not controlled via an external source.

Would you mind posting all of your specs? If this is a somewhat higher end gaming PC 400 watts seems really low for a PSU, and you could be trying to pull too much power as well.

L

LUC1FER

Contributor
Reaction score
Mb msi b350
You could always try borrowing a friends to stick in and see if it works properly, if it does you know it's the PSU.

I'd recommend looking through your motherboard and PSU manual, and just double checking that everything is connected where it should be.

If it does power up but the fans on the PSU aren't spinning, I'd say that's likely the problem as those typically are not controlled via an external source.

Would you mind posting all of your specs? If this is a somewhat higher end gaming PC 400 watts seems really low for a PSU, and you could be trying to pull too much power as well.

Mb msi b350 matte
Cpu ryzen 3 1300
Ram: two 8gb sticks
Gpu: gigabyte 750ti 4gb
And the crappy psu evga 400w

I dont know any one who builds pc so i cant try it on a different pc.

And btw the pc doesnt respond at all no power anywhere and the mobo has led indicator lights for cpu ram etc and even that doesnt light up

Last edited:
V

Vegeta

宇宙のマスター
Reaction score
Based on what you've said, I think either the PSU is trying to make a connection but either a) the PSU is fried or b) something isnt connected properly to the mobo. If b) is not correct then we get c) which means your mobo is fried and you can either do a volt test and see whats going on and then decide if you should get a new mobo. All computer parts have Advanced Replacement warranty scenarios to my knowledge but it also depends on the company but most big brands do offer AR which means they ship you the new parts before you ship out the old ones for return in an effort to achieve good customer service and customer convenience.

L

LUC1FER

Contributor
Reaction score
Based on what you've said, I think either the PSU is trying to make a connection but either a) the PSU is fried or b) something isnt connected properly to the mobo. If b) is not correct then we get c) which means your mobo is fried and you can either do a volt test and see whats going on and then decide if you should get a new mobo. All computer parts have Advanced Replacement warranty scenarios to my knowledge but it also depends on the company but most big brands do offer AR which means they ship you the new parts before you ship out the old ones for return in an effort to achieve good customer service and customer convenience.
Ok thanks im going to take my mobo to a local pc store and try to get a better psu and see if my board is fried...thank you for your help

C

Clepto

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Ok thanks im going to take my mobo to a local pc store and try to get a better psu and see if my board is fried...thank you for your help

Definitely unless something isn't plugged in, you've got a bad motherboard or PSU, I'd lean more towards it being the motherboard as it sounds like nothing even makes an attempt to do anything.

Also based on your setup I'd recommend if you're able to, bumping up that PSU a little bit. It'll work fine, but if you do start pushing the GPU while gaming, especially if you've got multiple monitors, you'll be pushing it.

L

LUC1FER

Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely unless something isn't plugged in, you've got a bad motherboard or PSU, I'd lean more towards it being the motherboard as it sounds like nothing even makes an attempt to do anything.

Also based on your setup I'd recommend if you're able to, bumping up that PSU a little bit. It'll work fine, but if you do start pushing the GPU while gaming, especially if you've got multiple monitors, you'll be pushing it.
ill try to get a 500w...thank you for the suggestion

H

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Reaction score
Psu...its not loud but i can hear it
I honestly want to know if its the psu so i can get a new one
Sounds like your PSU is not powerful enough to safely handle the required power. I'd get a more powerful PSU if I were you.

L

LUC1FER

Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys i got a evga 500w and everything worked just fine.. thank you all for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom