What's new

Discussion new laptop

R4V3N3567

R4V3N3567

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm waiting on a new laptop and I was wondering how efficient is a dual boot with windows 8.1 & well Linux haven't decided what OS to use exactly yet. I am only using a dual boot because I enjoy my gaming and I'm looking to switch to PC but Linux isn't exactly made for Gaming.
So I guess what I'm asking is what Linux OS to use and how efficient is a dual boot?

Operating System
  1. Linux
ZMOT

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
AzzidReign Jr Fabled Veteran Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm waiting on a new laptop and I was wondering how efficient is a dual boot with windows 8.1 & well Linux haven't decided what OS to use exactly yet. I am only using a dual boot because I enjoy my gaming and I'm looking to switch to PC but Linux isn't exactly made for Gaming.
So I guess what I'm asking is what Linux OS to use and how efficient is a dual boot?
Linux Mint or Ubuntu are for the noobs. Debian is pretty simple as well but a little more technical than Ubuntu. What do you want Linux for?

R4V3N3567

R4V3N3567

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Linux Mint or Ubuntu are for the noobs. Debian is pretty simple as well but a little more technical than Ubuntu. What do you want Linux for?

honestly just want to start using it, I am trying learn programming and well when I was in school the tech teacher always suggested that we use Linux for our programming

ZMOT

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
AzzidReign Jr Fabled Veteran Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
honestly just want to start using it, I am trying learn programming and well when I was in school the tech teacher always suggested that we use Linux for our programming
It used to be recommended to use Linux for programming because Windows/MacOS wasn't setup to handle it very well. This has changed a lot now though. While it's not necessary, it is still recommended to use Linux. That being said, I would suggest Linux Mint or Ubuntu for your first OS. You can even try them both installed on a USB as a live OS so you don't have to commit to installing them. Since you just want to check them out, go ahead and download the live version of both of them and decide which one you like better.

Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

Linux Mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Cinnamon is the Desktop Environment (DE) which is what your version of Linux will look like on the desktop. KDE and XFCE have less features but take up less space and resources.

Chazay

Chazay

Android
Retired
Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Donator Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Along with what ZMOT ZMOT said, boot into windows 10. There is no point to use an outdated OS.

Top Bottom
Login
Register