New headset setup?

AzzidReign

Honcho with a Poncho
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing my old Astro A40's (I think I bought them in 2010/2011). I honestly wasn't a huge fan of them but sounds "ok" imo. The one thing I liked about the A40's was that I could hook it up to the PC and my Xbox. With the Mixamp, I put the optical audio into the Xbox and the USB into the computer and it works like a charm. I want a similar set up (going to be giving away my a40's and mixamp to my cousin). Was looking at some of the following and need to know what to get:

Different amps:
Creative Soundblaster X 7.1 surround - $138
Creative Soundlbaster X-fi 5.1 surround - $70
Astro Mixamp Pro TR - $130
Astro Mixamp Pro 2014 Model - $30 used

Headsets
LucidSound LS30 Wireless Universal Gaming Headset - $128.50 (A little note: I really like the design of these. One thing I'm thinking about is I think on some of those amps there is a USB hook up that could make using this extremely easy to use) - LS40 are $30 more, not sure what the difference is.
HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset - $80 (4.5 stars on 3,500 reviews)
HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset - $97 (4 stars on 3,000 reviews)
HyperX Cloud Revolver Gaming Headset - $120 (4 stars out of 300+ reviews - these reviews sound pretty amazing and there is a review comparing these with many I'm listing here)
HyperX Cloud Revolver S - $150 (Looks like 4+ out of 23 reviews as they are meshed with the above non-S - Looks like great reviews, some questions in regards to the surround sound actually not sounding good)
SteelSeries Artic 7 Wireless - $150 (4 stars on 600 reviews)
SteelSeries Artice 5 - $100
Razer Kraken 7.1 Wired - $100 (4 stars on 1,400 reviews)
Sennheiser HD 598 SE - $158 (4.5 stars on 3,000 reviews) While not gaming headset, this was recommended in combination with V-MODA mic ($30) or Antlion Modmic ($54). I have heard these are an amazing pair of headphones, evident by the reviews as well. I believe I would need one of the amps above to make this work. May end up being the most expensive route but highest quality.
Sennheiser HD 598 (non-SE) - $128 (4.5 on 650 reviews) Same as above in regards to not being a gaming headset

Combos
Astro A40 TR - $249

I'm not done with linking stuff but since my computer is having problems, I wanted to see if I can get a discussion going with all of this and what people's thoughts are. My guess is I'll need some sort of amp/mix amp so I can connect to both the xbox and computer (they are right next to each other so distance is not an issue).

Last edited:

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Reaction score
A AzzidReign

I don't know a lot about amps so, I can't really tell you which one to buy. IMO, you shouldn't need an AMP for those headphones.

Have you thought of getting the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and the V-moda mic? It would be a really great combo!

If you, for some reason, dislike the m50x, you can't go wrong with the Cloud II or the HD598!

AzzidReign

Honcho with a Poncho
Administrator
Reaction score
The amp is for the ability to be connected to Xbox and pc at the same time.

Yes I've looked at those headphones, was going to post the link but was too busy.

Atlas

Local Rivethead
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
The amp is for the ability to be connected to Xbox and pc at the same time.

Yes I've looked at those headphones, was going to post the link but was too busy.
I don't know about amps, but I recommend Sennheiser for a headset (In particular, the Game Zero). I don't even use an amp with mine and they sound wonderful. Not to mention, they are very comfortable because of the memory-foam and soft leather-like material they use. I've worn them for a good 10 hours straight on multiple occasions and you forget they are even on. The noise cancelling mic is great too because no background noise is picked up. Lastly, I like being able to flip up the mic and it automatically switches off as opposed to finding a switch on the cord and the volume control on the right ear is nice and big so you can adjust your volume quickly and easily. Link to the model I use.

AzzidReign

Honcho with a Poncho
Administrator
Reaction score
A AzzidReign

I don't know a lot about amps so, I can't really tell you which one to buy. IMO, you shouldn't need an AMP for those headphones.

Have you thought of getting the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and the V-moda mic? It would be a really great combo!

If you, for some reason, dislike the m50x, you can't go wrong with the Cloud II or the HD598!
So the ones I had pulled up are:

Do you think the M50X is better? Looks like some of the M50X's come with an amp on some of the links:

But not sure if that's the same as:

Bc that one says "Professional" with it. They look similar, I just don't have time right now to do a side by side on the pages to see.

Last edited:

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Reaction score
So the ones I had pulled up are:

Do you think the M50X is better? Looks like some of the M50X's come with an amp on some of the links:

But not sure if that's the same as:

Bc that one says "Professional" with it. They look similar, I just don't have time right now to do a side by side on the pages to see.
The open-back design of the AD700x will make you feel like the sounds are actually real but nothing can beat the pure sound of the m50x.

Amps would help with the sound but are not needed.

Viitri

Dank Memes
Reaction score
I own HyperX Cloud I and II's and I used to own SteelSeries Arctic 5 and 7. They all sound great. The Cloud I and II have much more bass compared to the Arctic 5 and 7. Arctic seem to sound more "real", but they didn't feel right to me because I like some bass that the Arctic didn't provide. I used these without amps so I couldn't tell you how different they would sound. I've also heard that the Razer Kraken headsets are also very bassy like HyperX headsets. The build quality on The Cloud II is great, same as Arctic 7. Arctic 5 is more plastic than metal. If I could choose any of these headsets I would by the HyperX Cloud II because of the bass and noise cancellation.

gamebeatter

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
I have a pair of the Razer Kraken 7.1 v2 they beat out my old Astros, they have virtual surround sound and are comfortable to wear for hours on end.

ps I have a working mic now

Top Bottom