new build

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by Dr CaB0OSE, Nov 17, 2008 with 9 replies and 206 views.

1. Dr CaB0OSE

Dr CaB0OSE Newbie

Ratings:
    With about $300 wanting to build a multi-purpose computer. I already have mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

2. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Get yourself on the Newegg and TigerDirect mailing lists.

The day after Thanksgiving, I have no doubt in my mind you'll get an INTENSE deal on exactly what you are looking for. :wink:

3. Bupon

Bupon Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I would try to help you out but 300$ is a very low price. Are you planing on buying an OS or do you have one? If you could go up to 500$ than you would be fine.

4. OP
    Dr CaB0OSE

Dr CaB0OSE Newbie

Ratings:
    I already have an OS

5. TorMenT

TorMenT VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Will you be playing any games, if so what kind? What wil be your main uses for the computer?

6. OP
    Dr CaB0OSE

Dr CaB0OSE Newbie

Ratings:
    more less just browsing...I might play some WOW on it.

7. TorMenT

TorMenT VIP VIP

Ratings:
    For 300$ you won't be getting too much. I would suggest upping your budget a little bit and trying to get upgradeable parts at least, so you will be able to upgrade sometime down the road if possible. Look for up to date motherboards, an average video card, and an average processor. 2GB of RAM should be enough for the tasks you said you were looking to do. Hard drive size depends on what you will be storing on your computer. If you can give me more information about how much stuff you store on your computer, I can suggest more things for you. If you want component suggestions, let me know and I'll give you some. Otherwise, I would suggest just checking out [Click here to view the link] post on computerforum, though it hasn't been updated for about a year, it still has decent build suggestions for all price ranges.

8. Steggy

Steggy RIGGS...I'm getting too old for this Retired

Ratings:
    asus eee pc laptop? only 300.

or the eee top? or whatever you call it. the desktop counterpart of the eee pc

9. Michael Allison

Michael Allison Enthusiast

Ratings:
    You're wrong.

I ignored the rest of your post after reading the first couple of sentences.

Your budget is perfectly acceptable for the amount of use you want from it. You want to play World of Warcraft and browse the internet? I guaranty you if you buy the right pieces, you'll be able to build it on that budget with no problem. Just make sure you don't spend money on the aesthetics.

10. TorMenT

TorMenT VIP VIP

Ratings:
    There's a chance that he could if he got lucky and found some amazing deals. He could get enough to just get by, but that's about it. After re-reading this thread, I saw he already had the operating system. I missed that the first time so factored in another 100$, making it really difficult to get a good enough computer for 300$.