• Thread starter deadly fishes
  • Start date
  • Views 6,494
deadly fishes

deadly fishes

Composer & Audio Producer for New Media
Reaction score
Sin$
This is not a release. I am simply letting everyone know that a new and 100% original map mod is on the way!

As of today (6/20/11) I don't have any screens or videos on my progress, but everything is well underway. I will soon update with screen shots. (my macbook pro isn't the best for capturing on a virtual machine so pictures will suffice. )

Honestly, I am sick and tired of imported map mods from PC. Like many of you know and have stated already; about 95% of the map mods on here pretty much take no effort to do since all they did was take someone else's hard work from the PC, port it over to Xbox 360 and post on 7S.

I guess I have to make this clear again:

THIS IS NOT AN IMPORT. I AM CREATING A WHOLE NEW MAP MOD FROM SCRATCH.

I'm creating an island with a connecting bridge from the airport radar tower. I'm not sure to include spawns since most of you will probably misuse them for freezing... Anyways, after logging in hours on Dirt 3, I've pretty much got a good grasp on how to create the perfect Gymkhana course. (check out the link if you don't know what Gymkhana is.) The island will not only consist of a Gymkhana Course, but a standard drift track and a small rally-like race track. I've been planning this in my head for a long time, and it hasn't really been done well from what I've seen around the internet. I have a lot of map creation experience from building popular levels, maps and game modes on Garry's Mod, Minecraft, and Little Big Planet. This will be my first attempt on GTA IV, but so far it's just as simple as other games I've created for in the past.

Yes, it sounds pretty ambitious, but at the rate it's going, I know it will be awesome!

Here are some little things I'm considering:
-Boat Parking (lol)
-Helipads for people who wish to fly in
-Ladders so people can climb back up if they fall in the water (I've tested some ladders so it will work)
-I will include 4 different types of drift/rally/racing handling for more variety.

I'm open to any ideas you guys might have!

I will keep updating this post with my progress each day.

6/20/11:
-Get everyone hyped!
-Added new screen shots (taken right after base construction was completed.)
-Planning for general aesthetics, neatness and presentation. (planning for actual drift and gymkhana course has not yet begun)

Screens from yesterday's work:
Bridge Start

Bridge%20Start%206-20.PNG

Middle of bridge

Bridge%20Middle%206-20.PNG

Island Entrance

Island%20Entrance%206-20.PNG

Bridge Barrier Construction

Barrier%20Construction%206-20.PNG

The current surface area is still to be determined, but it's pretty large as of now. It looks somewhat uneven and messy and will be fixed later today. In the end the course and aesthetics will make it look more neat.

Screens after base structure construction - Helicopter and Boat landing
Boat%20Dock%206-20.PNG

Heli%20View%206-20.PNG

6/21/11:
-So about an hour and a half work and I'm halfway through making a barrier for the island to prevent from falling. So far I'm at 209 objects, I hope porting it to Xbox won't be a problem.
-I finally finished creating the boarder around the island so you don't drift into the water. It's now up to about 297 objects after some ladders and platforms on the sides of the island.
-I'm starting to plan out the drift and gymkhana courses. This might take a while.

6/23/11:
-Barrier around the entire island is complete
-Added service ladders around the island so you can climb back up if you fall
-Added new screens:

Bridge Start

Bridge%20Start%206-23.PNG

Island Entrance

Island%20Entrance%206-23.PNG

Island - Eastside

Island%20East%206-23.PNG

Island - Aerial View

Island%20View%206-23.PNG

Service Ladder

Service%20Ladder%206-23.PNG

darryl br0wn

darry1 br0wn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
sounds good looking forfard to protending im ken block in gta :smile:

LCBradley3k

LCBradley3k

Seasoned Member
Mr. Nice Guy Bright Idea
Reaction score
Sin$
Saying is more then doing, we will have to see when it is done. Good Luck! :wink:

deadly fishes

deadly fishes

Reaction score
Sin$
I've added screen shots in the original post. Check back at the top/front page of this topic.

deadly fishes

deadly fishes

Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah thank you! Good luck :wink:
Rally track? Can you spawn dirt?

I have found some dirt textures, but they're not acting like it on top of the surfaces I created. I think it might have something to do with scripting so it may not be possible. Anyone else have any input on this? Otherwise, rally doesn't always include dirt surfaces and I think I actually meant to say a rally-cross track rather than just a rally track. I see your confusion since the two are very different.

deadly fishes

deadly fishes

Reaction score
Sin$
Updated with today's work on the helicopter and boat landing! Also, I gave up on the barriers for the bridge because it got a little ridiculous unless I was some sort of autistic Minecraft player. Check the front page of this topic.

deadly fishes

deadly fishes

Reaction score
Sin$
This looks awesome, Can't wait until it's imported. B) Good Job. :smile:

So far it looks a lot better, and is a lot better to drive around in because of the barriers that I put around the island. It's really big now, but I hope I can make the drift and gymkhana course actually fun to drive around in...

Might take a while though. Be patient guys ;D

deadly fishes

deadly fishes

Reaction score
Sin$
looken good! Hope it turns out as awesome as it looks!

It's funny I think those screens look like crap compared to what I've done after I took those, and my MacBook Pro has terrible graphics settings for GTA IV... Anyways I hope for the same thing! Making this island as fun as it looks will be a challenge!

LCBradley3k

LCBradley3k

Seasoned Member
Mr. Nice Guy Bright Idea
Reaction score
Sin$
I have found some dirt textures, but they're not acting like it on top of the surfaces I created. I think it might have something to do with scripting so it may not be possible. Anyone else have any input on this? Otherwise, rally doesn't always include dirt surfaces and I think I actually meant to say a rally-cross track rather than just a rally track. I see your confusion since the two are very different.
I don't think you will be finding to many solid dirt grounds. Therefore, once it is ported to xbox you could always edit the textures but in the end it would be very time consuming.

If you want you can edit the materials.dat to give it a dirt handling affect.

Bad Man MODD3R

Bad Man MODD3R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Need any help importing or would like me to import and maybe video PM me.

deadly fishes

deadly fishes

Reaction score
Sin$
finally some quality map mods keep up the goo work

Thanks! We really do need some on here... I think the screens I took don't fully show what these map mods have to offer now after a couple of days of more work!

Need any help importing or would like me to import and maybe video PM me.

Thanks but I'm going to try to import myself... It won't be as fulfilling to me if I don't. I guess that's normal right? Anyways, I'll keep you in mind if I run into any trouble.

deadly fishes

deadly fishes

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey everyone, check out the new screens I've added today (6-23) Sorry for the low quality graphics, I need a better gaming computer. Anyways it's coming along nicely so stay updated and I'm always around for any questions or any suggestions you might have. Check the first page of this topic to see the new screens.

deadly fishes

deadly fishes

Reaction score
Sin$
Looken good! can't wait till it comes out.

I have next week to work on it, and after that I'm on vacation... It might be a while, but I'll keep you guys updated!

deadly fishes

deadly fishes

Reaction score
Sin$
So to let everyone know, I'm still planning on releasing this even after the 7-5-11 patch for both GTA IV: Original and EFLC.

N

nkjellman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If it helps you, I think Romans Taxi Garage is solid and has its own col. I had a map mod and a random one appeard under the train tracks in Dukes, and it was solid. The same may be true for the appartment.

Top Bottom
Login
Register