What's new

Need Tips on how to create a website from scratch.

I

ItzBZS

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello,

I am new here and would like to seek help for a non profit business I’m starting. I’m looking to learn and tips on how to build a site myself. If someone could point me in the right direction for cash. I’m not asking you to build the site but rather tips.

Operating System
  1. Windows
Last edited by a moderator:
John_

John_

Y E E T
Mr. Nice Guy Stickied Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
If you plan on using HTML5 and CSS3 i'd reccomend CodeCademy and YouTube videos. That's how I learned to create basic websites

P

pwfdc

Bright Idea Programmer Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
If you have no experience, nothing wrong with a solid WordPress site or something like it. ?‍♂️

S

SofWilly

Reaction score
Sin$
I can recommend to contact a professional company. They can help you to choose what technology to use and wahat exactly to create. Perhaps for you will work something else. Good luck!

P

Pulse

I understand that you probably want to build the site from scratch to save money but you should also value your time more than this.

It’s not just front end languages like HTML/CSS/JS you’d have to learn which especially JS will take you a bit, you’ll also need to learn backend languages such as PHP and learn to manage databases etc.

It would be much more efficient to simply buy a website building subscription like Squarespace or Wix and use all the time you’ve saved to work for income.

Claws

Claws

Skepta <3
Retired
Lifetime
Journalist Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Stickied
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello,

I am new here and would like to seek help for a non profit business I’m starting. I’m looking to learn and tips on how to build a site myself. If someone could point me in the right direction for cash. I’m not asking you to build the site but rather tips.
If you have no experience, nothing wrong with a solid WordPress site or something like it. ?‍♂️
This is exactly what I was going to mention. If you're deadset on making it yourself and want to take probably the easiest route, wordpress is free and you can customise it with skins (or if you're feeling it, a custom theme/plugins) and can make it look far from cookie cutter.

If you insist on learning and doing it all yourself though, I would highly recommend W3 and some type of video learning (whether that's Learning with Lynda, youtube, or one of the many other online training course sites) to get a feel for many things.

I would recommend using frameworks where they abstract things away from the code to try and keep things secure as best as possible. These are for example, ASP.NET Core MVC, CodeIgniter or other similar frameworks. With the part in the OP saying you're starting a non-profit, I'd see that you're probably handling payments/donations of some kind and so I'm going to recommend again that you should probably go with a paid package from sites that sell these kinds of things. Small security holes can lead to pretty big situations that can land you in tough waters if you're not careful.

I understand that you probably want to build the site from scratch to save money but you should also value your time more than this.

It’s not just front end languages like HTML/CSS/JS you’d have to learn which especially JS will take you a bit, you’ll also need to learn backend languages such as PHP and learn to manage databases etc.

It would be much more efficient to simply buy a website building subscription like Squarespace or Wix and use all the time you’ve saved to work for income.
Also this would be true in most cases, however learning valuable skills can sometimes be worth the loss of income from studying. It's also possible that he may not be able to take any overtime anyways and so spends his time doing other things than making an income anyways.

This also assumes that they will only ever use this skillset once. The more they make use of it, the more worth it that skillset becomes in the end. Imo this kind of outlook on opportunity cost has too many caveats when we don't know enough about how they spend their time elsewhere.

Either way, I recommend the prebuilld/builder ones as well. At least for now

mindarya

mindarya

Reaction score
Sin$
You can also use tilda or other website builder, but you better hire a professional developer or team of developers (if you have budget of course)

Top Bottom
Login
Register