What's new

Solved Need help with upgrading my build

hoopsure

hoopsure

cakes was here
Reaction score
So.. I just got my new GPU today and had the new PSU for a few days, when I opened my PC for the first time I ran into an issue, the PSU is bolted into a case at the top and to get the bolts out you need special tools.. Would I be able to just take the parts out of the current case and put them in a better/newer case? It's an old pre-built PC. I don't need the old PSU because it's only a 300W and the new one I have is a 550W. Also I can't seem to be able to get the panel on the other side of the PC off because it looks to be bolted down with the same kind of bolts on the PSU case. And I get the feeling I wouldn't be able to get the fans or motherboard out without some special tools for those bolts... (The bolts are small with an indent in the middle of it and it's flat in the indent so you can't unscrew them or anything) I'm gonna try and take it to the guy I usually go to for computer repair and stuff like that and see if he can get it in. Another issue I ran into is that the place where the fan of the PSU would be in the case is on the side (and I think the plug for the PSU that you plug into the wall is too), and the new PSU I have had the fan on top and plug on the side.

Also how do I clean the parts in my PC? The first thing I saw when I opened it was that the fans were super dusty on the edges of the fans.

(Side question, is an Intel i5-4440 processor any good? That's what my PC came with)

Last edited:
Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
So.. I just got my new GPU today and had the new PSU for a few days, when I opened my PC for the first time I ran into an issue, the PSU is bolted into a case at the top and to get the bolts out you need special tools.. Would I be able to just take the parts out of the current case and put them in a better/newer case? It's an old pre-built PC. I don't need the old PSU because it's only a 300W and the new one I have is a 550W. Also I can't seem to be able to get the panel on the other side of the PC off because it looks to be bolted down with the same kind of bolts on the PSU case. And I get the feeling I wouldn't be able to get the fans or motherboard out without some special tools for those bolts... (The bolts are small with an indent in the middle of it and it's flat in the indent so you can't unscrew them or anything) I'm gonna try and take it to the guy I usually go to for computer repair and stuff like that and see if he can get it in. Another issue I ran into is that the place where the fan of the PSU would be in the case is on the side (and I think the plug for the PSU that you plug into the wall is too), and the new PSU I have had the fan on top and plug on the side.

Also how do I clean the parts in my PC? The first thing I saw when I opened it was that the fans were super dusty on the edges of the fans.

(Side question, is an Intel i5-4440 processor any good? That's what my PC came with)

Do you know the form factor of your PC? Of the motherboard inside?

Just use compressed air, it'll clean all the dust in no time!

Sanctorum

Sanctorum

Banned
Reaction score
Download Speccy and post a screenshot, we should be able to find out from that of you have a weird form factor mobo like BTX. The 4440 is still a very capable CPU so there's no need to replace that but you might need a new motherboard for a new case.

hoopsure

hoopsure

cakes was here
Reaction score
Problem solved. My PC expert guy got the PSU and GPU in and it works great. Didn't need a new case. There almost wasn't enough room to get the GPU in thought XD

Top Bottom