What's new

Discussion Need Help with laptop !!!!

Skate Or Die!
Journalist Services Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
i have a HP Dv6 laptop its only a year old. It has a 500gb harddrive and im only using 100gb worth. ive done several virus scans so theres no viruses. The computer is ridiculously slow. starting up , running programs and shutting down. Im thinking of backing up my stuff to a external harddrive and restoring the laptop to factory settings. i bought microsoft office if i was to back everything up including microsoft office will it still work or will it ask me for registration or some sh*t like that ? i have 4gb of ram and only 1gb of it is being used

InfectHead

InfectHead

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
End of the Year 2012 MotM Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
  • Run disk clean-up (just type in 'Disk Cleanup' into Windows Search and you'll get it). Make sure you delete all the useless junk and system restore + shadow copies (found in the second tab).
  • Run a defrag (type in 'Disk Defragmenter' into Windows Search).
  • Ctrl + R to bring up 'Run' and type in 'msconfig'. Go to the 'Startup' tab and uncheck all unnecessary programs.
  • Download Malwarebytes and run a full scan with that.
  • Make sure the laptop isn't overheating, and if so, clean out the dust from it.
  • Finally (just to be safe) download SUPERAntiSpyware and run a full scan with that.

Top Bottom