What's new

Solved Need Help With JTAG

W

Whiplash

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guyz i decided to start a new thread on fixing my JTAG. The reason is we decided to burn our box (literally) from the ammount of problems we had, aaah stress relief :tongue:

I am pretty sure that we know what we are doing now, although there are a few things i need to know, and a few things i need verified before we start dumping the nand (we will be building it today).

Nandpro2.0e
Can anyone verify the fact that nandpro2.0e reports bad blocks during the dumping process? Or even if this is the case, should we still do multiple dumps and compare with a checksum program (like degraded)

Freeboot
Couple questions here. Firstly if we do get this far and manage to get freeboot onto the box with our rawkv.bin and our rawconfig.bin already flashed to freeboot, how do you boot into Xell by pressing the eject button. When we press the eject button nothing happens atm because its just a plastic button, that doesnt touch any switch. We have noticed on the xbox case that there is a switch there that the eject button must hit, however we cannot use this because our JTAG cables are in the way (and we are planning to leave box open) Any solutions?

Xell
If we cannot resolve the above issue, we intend to flash Xell onto the board first, grab our cpu key.
Can we then flash freeboot (with .bins injected) straight onto the nand? or do we have to remove Xell first?
If we have to remove Xell first can we just delete the blocks that Xell wrote up to? or should we erase the nand entirely from the box, flash nand.bin back to the board, and then flash freeboot?

Freeboot again
We have searched the usual places and found a file in freeboot called 9199, which is the latest kernal version, however we are worried that it is not specific to any box, (xenon, falcon jasper etc.)
We had problems earlier with Xell being flashed when it wasnt the correct revision. (where all our problems stemed from)
Is this the case with freeboot?

Lastly can anyone verify the only unique blocks on the nand is (1 1) and (3de 2)

Please help.

P.S i dont like using applications and toolboxs, I would prefer to use only nandpro2.0e and dos, however we dont mind using a checksum program like degraded, i am referring to apps such as "JTAG tool"

E Nellie

E Nellie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guyz i decided to start a new thread on fixing my JTAG. The reason is we decided to burn our box (literally) from the ammount of problems we had, aaah stress relief :tongue:

I am pretty sure that we know what we are doing now, although there are a few things i need to know, and a few things i need verified before we start dumping the nand (we will be building it today).

Nandpro2.0e
Can anyone verify the fact that nandpro2.0e reports bad blocks during the dumping process? Or even if this is the case, should we still do multiple dumps and compare with a checksum program (like degraded)

Freeboot
Couple questions here. Firstly if we do get this far and manage to get freeboot onto the box with our rawkv.bin and our rawconfig.bin already flashed to freeboot, how do you boot into Xell by pressing the eject button. When we press the eject button nothing happens atm because its just a plastic button, that doesnt touch any switch. We have noticed on the xbox case that there is a switch there that the eject button must hit, however we cannot use this because our JTAG cables are in the way (and we are planning to leave box open) Any solutions?

Xell
If we cannot resolve the above issue, we intend to flash Xell onto the board first, grab our cpu key.
Can we then flash freeboot (with .bins injected) straight onto the nand? or do we have to remove Xell first?
If we have to remove Xell first can we just delete the blocks that Xell wrote up to? or should we erase the nand entirely from the box, flash nand.bin back to the board, and then flash freeboot?

Freeboot again
We have searched the usual places and found a file in freeboot called 9199, which is the latest kernal version, however we are worried that it is not specific to any box, (xenon, falcon jasper etc.)
We had problems earlier with Xell being flashed when it wasnt the correct revision. (where all our problems stemed from)
Is this the case with freeboot?

Lastly can anyone verify the only unique blocks on the nand is (1 1) and (3de 2)

Please help.

P.S i dont like using applications and toolboxs, I would prefer to use only nandpro2.0e and dos, however we dont mind using a checksum program like degraded, i am referring to apps such as "JTAG tool"

Sorry for the quote but I needed to see what all your questions were in order for me to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Nandpro 2.0e
Yes, nandpro reports bad blocks but to insure that you have read the nand correctly you should always read it twice and compare.

Freeboot
Your rawkv.bin and rawconfig.bin wont be "flashed to freeboot" you inject them into a Freeboot image which you will then flash to your nand Use Freeboot Toolbox Maker very user friendly. Secondly, try moving the jtag cables? the eject button is at the front left of the case on the bottom shouldn't be a problem hitting the eject button.

Xell
Most Freeboot images already have xell and it is utilized the same way *pressing the eject button to boot*. The process you should take is

1) Install Wires
2) Read the Nand Twice
3) Compare dumps so they are EXACTLY the same
4) Flash Xell to your nand
5) Obtain your CPU key with xell because you need the get your CPU key in order to install Freeboot.
6) Create your Freeboot Image with your CPU key *obtained from previous step*
7) Flash your new Freeboot Image to your nand.
8) Enjoy...

I hope that clears this section *Xell* up for you a little.

Freeboot Again...
Freeboot uses your nand to create a "hacked" version of 9199 therefore it needs to use some of the 9199 image data. Freeboot is specific to your motherboard so if you use Freeboot Tool Box Maker as mentioned earlier you can choose your motherboard revision makes the situation a lot easier

I do not know if those are the only "unique blocks"....sorry.

Hope I helped

E Nellie

W

Whiplash

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Xell
Most Freeboot images already have xell and it is utilized the same way *pressing the eject button to boot*. The process you should take is

1) Install Wires
2) Read the Nand Twice
3) Compare dumps so they are EXACTLY the same
4) Flash Xell to your nand
5) Obtain your CPU key with xell because you need the get your CPU key in order to install Freeboot.
6) Create your Freeboot Image with your CPU key *obtained from previous step*
7) Flash your new Freeboot Image to your nand.
8) Enjoy...

I hope that clears this section *Xell* up for you a little.

First of all dude thanks heaps for not only a quick response but a kick *** one at that. At the moment we are still waiting on a exploitable to arrive. We have about 6 RROD boxes to check. All Xenons.

I proly going to skip step 4, and then do step 5 after installing freeboot (opening with the eject button)
But that is only if we can turn the box on this way. If we cant get it on wit dvd button then we will have to follow ur steps. But do we have to erase Xell from the board before installing freeboot?

Thanks heaps this really helped me.
-Whiplash

P.S You say we need to obtain our CPU key to install freeboot. I have heard many contradictions to this. As you can download the freeboot image (without making it) from the usual places and just inject your rawkv.bin and rawconfig.bin into the image (must be right revision and kernal) and then copy it to the xbox using the command
nandpro lpt: -r16 freeboot.bin (file names vary) proly wuld be called 9199.bin

u might need your cpu key to make the image.. but not to obtain one, im not sure if i am right about this. but like i said i would rather do it with just dos. If we "cannot" do it with just dos then i guess we will have to download something.

xlApollolx

xlApollolx

A Helping Hand
Reaction score
You need your cpu key if your making your freeboot image using freeboot toolbox however if you manually inject the information, i.e. rawkv.bin and rawconfig.bin, you do not need your cpu key. Once you inject those blocks you should be able to just flash the image onto the motherboard the same way you flashed Xell. Once you have freeBoot on your motherboard you can turn it on with the eject button and get our CPU key.

-Apollo