Dismiss Notice

Guest,
We are celebrating 14 years since the inception of Se7enSins! Join us in our celebrations!

Discussion Need help with a build

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by GooBacks, Jan 27, 2010 with 6 replies and 190 views.

1. GooBacks

GooBacks Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Need help with a build for a friend. His spending limit is about 2k, keep it under that please. He wants a powerful gaming rig. Go ahead and pick a case, although I think he has one picked, and I've got the monitor covered. Thanks in advance guys. Also use newegg please :thumbup:

2. modz4bud

modz4bud Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well.. i don't know his preferences so i'm not going to pick out any of the aesthetics. However, i will say that he should definitely be investing on an i7 core, with at least 8GB of RAM. Preferably from OCZ or Crucial. Those are great RAM brands. Also i would go with nVidia graphics cards because they are simply the best. The GTX series are amazing graphics cards. Look for EVGA or XFX brand graphics cards. Best brands i've come across and i've tested over 7 different graphics card brands. Including Biostar, Gigabyte, and some other junk and none compare to EVGA or XFX. If i had to choose one, i would say XFX but both are great brands.

If he hasn't picked out a case yet, i would say his best bet as far as gaming rig cases go, he should be picking from either Thermaltake, NZXT, or some of the more expensive Apevia brands. Apevia starts to get ****ty as you delve in to the lower priced models, so anything under 100$ from Apevia and i would stay away from.

If i may make a suggestion, i would say instead of going through newegg.com go to TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics. Their prices are cheaper, and their products are always amazing quality. I have been using tigerdirect for 4 years now and have never had a single problem with shipping, prices, and products. Even on the refurbished or used material.

Audio: Definitely go with the Diamond Soundblaster series. Those are some amazing sound cards

If he is also series about a gaming rig, then he should be considering liquid cooling systems. While they are not required for getting maximum cooling efficiency from your computer, they are great solutions to keep the computers core temp to lows. I have a liquid cooling system from Thermaltake and it works amazingly. When my computer is running games i normally get around a 35degree drop in temperature, and when my computer is ideling it stays at about 75degrees. Which is pretty good for my computer.

As for the motherboards, i always advise getting into the Intels rather than AMD's. AMD's in my opinion suck ***. If you do decide to go with Intel, then great motherboard brands are EVGA, MSI, Intel, and Asus models(ONLY ON THEIR EXPENSIVE MODELS.) If you buy any cheap mobos from Asus you will regret it for the rest of your life lol.

I'll be back to post some more suggestions, but my laptop is dying out and i don't have my cable with me. So for now.. this should suffice. :wink:

Hope this helped! :smile:

3. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    i7 motherboards are triple-channel memory, so 8GB would be terribly inefficient, he'd have to go with 6 or 9GB. As for graphics cards, Nvidia is NOT 'simply the best' right now. Fermi is not even out yet, and all they have now are old cards from last gen. If he's going to be getting the build very soon, then going with ATi would be a good idea. Another thing, water cooling is for 1 of 2 things: 1. Allowing for better overclocks and 2. Making it look cool. It is definitely not necessary if you are not overclocking, or not overclocking too much. As for motherboards, AMDs are f*cking awesome, especially right now. I got a kickass 790FX board for ~$100 dollars, and it has every feature I could ask for... Onboard overclocking capability, 4 PCI-E slots, and very stable in my opinion (regarding overclocking).

As for the build itself, I'd recommend checking with your buddy for when he will be buying it. There is no point in making a build if he isn't expecting to buy it right after it's done. Parts will get deactivated/sold-out/removed/price changes etc and in a week it will have missing parts.

4. Psycho Homer

Psycho Homer VIP VIP Retired

Ratings:
  5. modz4bud

modz4bud Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I never said that liquid cooling systems were necessary if you even read that part. Also.. AMD's suck. And that's my opinion and from my experience. From my experience with graphics cards, considering i've tried ATI and nVidia on multiple accounts.. i say nVidia is way better.. but then again.. thats just my OPINION. The laptop im using right now has an ATI card(forget which model) and while it isn't terrible.. it does not even touch my nVidia cards. Also, ATI has so much bull**** that you have to install for the drivers to work.. like CCC, etc.. nVidia just has the DRIVER.. and it works perfectly. So actually.. i prefer nVidia.. way more than ATI. And you are correct on the RAM part if he did get an i7. I was mistaken on that part.

Regardless of any of our opinions.. There is hardly you can go wrong with if you have a $2k budget. I could build a kickass rig(even with AMD/ATI components, even though i prefer not to..) if i had that kind of money. There is so much you could get for 2k so he should be doing tons of research before buying things according to what we have to say about it. The best thing he could do is read up on the things he likes the most. See what is compatible with what, etc..

6. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Since we are speaking on terms of technicality apparently, I never said you said that.

As for saying ATi is worse than Nvidia, I'll let these benchmarks do the talking.
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 Hemlock Video Card | Radeon HD5970 Review,Hemlock GPU,Video Card,ATI Radeon HD 5970 Hemlock Video Card Graphics Benchmark Frame Rate Performance Dual Cypress-XT GPU Review | Benchmark Reviews Performance Tests
    In every single test, the 5970 surpassed the 295, and in most of them by a large margin.
    Also, the Catalyst Control Center is not a requirement for the drivers, you can choose to just get the Catalyst drivers. "Like CCC, etc" Pretty sure the only thing is CCC, which isn't necessary as I just said. Nvidia was great before the 5 series was released, but they failed to meet their deadline with Fermi, and now they are suffering by loosing market share and loosing the top card spot. I'm sure once Fermi finally comes around, they'll be doing much better and may even regain the performance crown, but until then, ATi is king. Also, pretty sure everything I've said is not simply opinion.
    Of course, Goo's buddy can get whichever he chooses, maybe he has a slight inclination towards Intel/Nvidia like you.

7. modz4bud

modz4bud Enthusiast

Ratings:
    And talk the benchmarks did. However.. i was only speaking out of my experience and out of my opinions. I never gave data on whether or not nVidia is better then ATI. I simply said that through the cards i've used as well as the motherboards.. i liked Intel and nVidia way better. And i can say this because i have used BOTH each for extended periods of time. I was not rampaging on how i thought ATI sucks ***.. i just said that in my eyes.. ATI does suck *** compared to nVidia. So great, you got the stats, from some source to prove that what.. ATI is better than nVidia? I'm sorry.. but i think we all know that what makes a product good and what decides a products fate.. are the people that use it. No offense to you because you know exactly what you're talking about.