Need help wipping computer

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by I Doughboy, Feb 8, 2009 with 5 replies and 137 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Doughboy

I Doughboy Premium Premium

Ratings:
    OK, the computer that my parents use, or should I say used, doesn't work anymore. It had viruses up the ***. Its current state is that it will not boot into windows. It will start and go through the start up stuff and do the windows logo with the little bar scrolling across the bottom. All that jazz. After the windows logo it looks like its about to bring up the user account login page, instead it restarts and does the process over again. It does this over and over again until I manually shut it down. It is a fairly old computer. I tried to use the program Kill Disk, to wipe the HD, but it wouldn't load the dvd. I was thinking about getting something like linux on one of my flash drives and booting it up with that and then cleaning the HD like that, but i'm not sure if that will work. The computer is about a 1.2GHz processor, 500mb of ram, 30gb HD, windows xp SP1. It is SP1 because the motherboard's bios are to old to support SP2. I don't wanna try my luck with flashing new bios onto the mb. All they do with it anyway is internet. Basicly what I need is a way to wipe the HD totally clean, without accessing the computer, make it virus and OS free. Then I need a copy of windows xp SP1 i can download, put on a disk, and install on the HD. Any suggestions on how to get this dinosour up and running again would be welcome. Don't suggest buying a new computer though, they don't care about it that much. Ok, thanks.

2. Altec6

Altec6 Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Well you have a couple options. I have never used this program myself but a few people I work with have used it with great success. It is Darik's Nuke and Boot available here [Click here to view the link]. The good thing about this is that there is a download for a 3.5 inch floppy disk since you said you had some difficulty booting from cd you may have luck booting to floppy. If this does not work I would try removing the hard drive from the computer and getting a usb to IDE/SATA converter, much like this one [Click here to view the link], which will allow you to access the drive from another computer. I advise you to be carefull with this option and you do this AT YOUR OWN RISK as you will be connecting the infected drive to your computer and run the risk of infecting your machine. I take no responsibility if you try this and infect another computer. If you do choose this option you should be able to wipe the drive utilizing the host computer. Hope one of these options works for you.

3. OP
    I Doughboy

Ratings:
    Ok, I will try the DBAN download thing. I'll let you know.

I have no way of putting that program on a floppy disk, so i tried a flash drive and it didn't work either. Any other suggestions?

4. Altec6

Altec6 Premium Premium

Ratings:
    If you can't get the flash drive to work and you have no way of getting the data on a floppy your only choice would be to access the drive from another computer as I stated above. Did you check the bios to see if you can change the boot order? See if bumpimg the usb drive up in the list helps out. Maybe you can try your local library to see if they have floppy drives in the computers? If they do you may be able to transfer from your flash drive to a floppy then try the boot when you get home. Im just spitting out some ideas. Sorry if you have already tried any of this. Wish I could be more help but your options are kind of limited. Let me k ow how this works out.

5. OP
    I Doughboy

Ratings:
    OK, i'll try the library...

6. Altec6

Altec6 Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Just curious, did you ever get anywhere with this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.