• Thread starter xxMatthewo
  • Start date
  • Views 725
X

xxMatthewo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
My PC was custom built in a store for a hefty 1200 +, around March 2011. You would think for that price that would be a decent computer. You are wrong. My current pc specs:
- AMD Phenom II 1090T 6 Core @ 3.2ghz
- AMD Radeon 5750 (released oct 2009)
- Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Motherboard
- 2 x 4gb DDR3 700mhz RAM
- No CPU Cooler, all stock cooling
- 650w Power Supply
- Two Super Slow HDD (like 26/mbs transer rate)

The upgrades I really want/need is:
- A Better GPU, for Battlefield/Skyrim/Fallout/etc on high(est) settings, while it being smooth
- A CPU Cooler, or a better case to help airflow and make the thing far more quiet
- A Faster HDD/SSD for recording, as my hdd does not write fast enough for good frames/

There a video of my puter.

So, if anyone can help they will get some rep.

Generation

Generation

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
- A Better GPU, for Battlefield/Skyrim/Fallout/etc on high(est) settings, while it being smooth
- A CPU Cooler, or a better case to help airflow and make the thing far more quiet
- A Faster HDD/SSD for recording, as my hdd does not write fast enough for good frames/

BF3 maxed out? You will want a GTX 570 or higher. Stick with EVGA when buying Nvidia cards - Best customer support and warranties.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130621

CPU cooler? A better case would probably be a waste of money. Check out this Hyper 212, it's extremely popular and out performs some of the 'high end' heatsinks aka the H__ series.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

For recording you're going to want 2 HDD's. Reason why? 1 dedicated to recording aka less lag.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136795

An SSD is up to you.

X

xxMatthewo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

BF3 maxed out? You will want a GTX 570 or higher. Stick with EVGA when buying Nvidia cards - Best customer support and warranties.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130621

CPU cooler? A better case would probably be a waste of money. Check out this Hyper 212, it's extremely popular and out performs some of the 'high end' heatsinks aka the H__ series.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

For recording you're going to want 2 HDD's. Reason why? 1 dedicated to recording aka less lag.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136795

An SSD is up to you.

Did you watch the video. I am pretty sure that is a stock cooler. Am I right? What would make my PC way more quieter?
Would there be anuthing else worth upgrading?

Generation

Generation

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Did you watch the video. I am pretty sure that is a stock cooler. Am I right? What would make my PC way more quieter?
Would there be anuthing else worth upgrading?

No, I didn't watch the video..yet :tongue:h34r:

But I skimmed over it, and yes, it's the stock AMD cooler. It's extremely loud and does a terrible job. Same goes for Intel. They have been using the same crap heatsink for years.

The Hyper 212 will make it a lot quieter. You could even check out the fans dba if you wanted to.

Wait, are those WD black HDD's? If they are..there shouldn't be a problem. The WD Blacks and Spinpoint F3's are the fastest on the market.

And that 650w PSU should handle a single GTX 570 / 6970 fine as long as it's made of half descent quality. AMD's cards tend to use less power if you wanted to know.

X

xxMatthewo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
No, I didn't watch the video..yet :tongue:h34r:

But I skimmed over it, and yes, it's the stock AMD cooler. It's extremely loud and does a terrible job. Same goes for Intel. They have been using the same crap heatsink for years.

The Hyper 212 will make it a lot quieter. You could even check out the fans dba if you wanted to.
Do most cases have fans built into them? Cause my does not and is very hot inside. I would remove the side thing, but that gets dust into them.

Generation

Generation

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Do most cases have fans built into them? Cause my does not and is very hot inside. I would remove the side thing, but that gets dust into them.

Are you saying your case has 0 fans? Uhmm...where did you buy this PC? Lol.

Yes, 99.9% of cases have at least 1 fan. That stock AMD cooler isn't helping either.

X

xxMatthewo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Are you saying your case has 0 fans? Uhmm...where did you buy this PC? Lol.

Yes, 99.9% of cases have at least 1 fan. That stock AMD cooler isn't helping either.
I am honestly not lying. There is like vents on it, but not any fans. There is the GPU and CPU fans and that is it.

Generation

Generation

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I am honestly not lying. There is like vents on it, but not any fans. There is the GPU and CPU fans and that is it.

You could always add fans to the case.

But try upgrading that video card before anything. If you're still lagging when recording, it's probably your HDD's.

X

xxMatthewo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You could always add fans to the case.

But try upgrading that video card before anything. If you're still lagging when recording, it's probably your HDD's.
I have like 100 bucks, so I could upgrade the cooler and the SSD, then the GPU for x-mas

Generation

Generation

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
May I ask how long would it be before I would need a new computer overrall?

Not for a long while. That 1090t is a pretty strong CPU that will last you quite some time. The only major problem I see is the video card / HDD's.

X

xxMatthewo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Not for a long while. That 1090t is a pretty strong CPU that will last you quite some time. The only major problem I see is the video card / HDD's.
Ahh, OK I gave you a bit of rep. Thanks for all the help!

S

ShadowZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I would look into getting a GTX 560 Ti or a GTX 560. The GTX 560 is usually better but its about $50 on average. You currently have the stock cooler installed. I went with an aftermarket cooler and its super quiet even with 2 additional case fans so I want to ask how loud it? Also check your temps (while not doing anything else on your computer) with CPUID Hardware monitor or a similar program, and post them so I can see if you really need to upgrade your cooling.

As for hdds, look into getting a 3rd drive as a boot drive then use your 2 current drives in RAID 0 which will combine both their read and write speeds so you will virtually double the performance. Only downside is that if one hdd dies, you lose the data on both.

Oh and OP, the computer store you bought got that computer built from pretty much screwed you over. I have similar specs and for about $700 (includes 13% tax) I got a similar computer without a graphics card or hdds but with an aftermarket cooler. Everything else I got except for the cpu (since I also have a 1090T) is "better" (semi modular power supply 80+ silver, 890GX chipset motherboard) and I bought it around the same time as you did.

Generation

Generation

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I would look into getting a GTX 560 Ti or a GTX 560. The GTX 560 is usually better but its about $50 on average. You currently have the stock cooler installed. I went with an aftermarket cooler and its super quiet even with 2 additional case fans so I want to ask how loud it? Also check your temps (while not doing anything else on your computer) with CPUID Hardware monitor or a similar program, and post them so I can see if you really need to upgrade your cooling.

As for hdds, look into getting a 3rd drive as a boot drive then use your 2 current drives in RAID 0 which will combine both their read and write speeds so you will virtually double the performance. Only downside is that if one hdd dies, you lose the data on both.

Or he could use 1 for just his O/S and games and use the other one strictly for recording..no need for 3 drives.

S

ShadowZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Or he could use 1 for just his O/S and games and use the other one strictly for recording..no need for 3 drives.

Or he could combine the performance of his two existing drives and just get a smaller drive to boot off of since Windows will not boot off of a RAID.

X

xxMatthewo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

Oh and OP, the computer store you bought got that computer built from pretty much screwed you over. I have similar specs and for about $700 (includes 13% tax) I got a similar computer without a graphics card or hdds but with an aftermarket cooler. Everything else I got except for the cpu (since I also have a 1090T) is "better" (semi modular power supply 80+ silver, 890GX chipset motherboard) and I bought it around the same time as you did.

Ahh, well.
The HDD are already Raid 0.
I will check the temperature tomorrow.
The sound of the computer is loud, I use a fan blowing into it, and the fan makes it quieter. So the computer is louder than a desk fan (Ones like this) on high/fast.

I do know they screwed me over. That time I knew barely anything about puters. I asked for a AMD Radeon 67/69 series, and said they had no clue what that was. I asked for a gaming pc, and gave me a 2 year old gpu.

Another bad part about this, is that my parents are not to keen on my practically making the computer do what I intended it for.

S

ShadowZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well if you are going to get a CPU cooler, make sure it is something with 120mm fans. I have 3 of these in my case all going at around 1000 rpm each and I literally cannot hear it and the tower is usually 2-3 feet away from my head. My computer also runs at about 24-27C idle at ambients of 18-23C. As for specific coolers, I hear that the Scythe Mugen and Hyper 212+ are good although I hear excellent things about the 212+.

You are using RAID 0 and still getting getting like 25MB/s? If thats the case, I get better performance from 5 year old IDE drives. I would suggest a Spinpont F3 as they are more affordable than the WD Blacks with similar specs.

As soon as they said they didn't know about the HD 6000 series I would have just left. Actually kinda pathetic at how terrible most computer stores are.

Your parents don't want you to make a gaming computer? or just you to make one?

X

xxMatthewo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I actually asked about a small 30gb for os and like 1 game. And a 1tb or so Data Drive.
They did not understand and just Raid0 2 hdd's.

Your parents don't want you to make a gaming computer? or just you to make one?
I wanted a PC for gaming on. TBH I can not really play any current games. Now they don't want me to upgrade it, becuase they think it is good enough.

Top Bottom
Login
Register