What's new

Solved need help to start modding process, many questions

Z

zawata

Reaction score
so i want to Jtag an old Phat i got from a friend however i have quite a few questions about it
i have not nand dumped it yet, i have only just opened it to repair it.

1. What do i use
based on the Xbox 360 ultimate exploit guide, i have decided that what i need is an R-JTAG
i have a falcon Xbox(no middle pin in power brick, has HDMI)
it has the latest dashboard 16203.

this is my conclusion and anymore insight is appreciated

2. Where do i buy it?
i have searched the internet and the BST forum and found nothing about the R-JTAG
i have also not heard about it outside of the guide, so what is it and how do i buy one? and on top of that what is it even called? like the Dev teams that supposedly make it?

3. What about NAND dumping?
can i buy an LPT connector and where can i buy it? i can make one but i am really lazy and their is no hobby shop near where i live meaning i will have to order all the parts off of the internet.

4. Can i even JTAG?
ive heard so much about JTAGing that now im really confused about it. I have the technical knowhow to get it done and without problems but i have so much conflicting knowledge.

any helpful replies will be thanked
but nothing like "youre stupid"
or "i dont think so" please
thank you

H

ramsfan3068

when I took his glass of champagne...
Staff
Reaction score
1. yes, go with the R-JTAG
2. xconsoles, modchipcentral, it all depends on where you live. if you check out team-excuter.com and click on the where to buy tab, it will give you a full list of where to buy them in your country.
3. nand dumping is all based on how much time you want to wait for your nand to dump. the lpt-cable is cheap, but can take up to 40 or so minutes and requires an lpt port on your computer. you can get the nand-x or j-r programmer, which takes 3-5 and uses usb so its more universal. you have to read the nand twice so the lpt can take a while
4. yes, you can. read the tuts, but don't make a functioning xbox your first solder project. the R-JTAG has some fine points to solder to and you skills will need to be up to par.

Z

zawata

Reaction score
ok thank you so much
i figured an R-JTAG would be the option to go with and thanks for the websites i will check them out
i do have an LPT plug on one of my computers, however its not my computer and its from 2001 so it would probably be even slower but time really isn't a factor in this, i could just go play my other Xbox for an hour so i dont know what im gonna choose
i am moderately good and soldering, not an expert but im alright, it definitely not my first project so i should be alright but i will study the Tutorial pretty heavily to decide if i should go ahead and do it
Thank so much for your informative and quick reply

P.S. don't worry the rams will win a game soon :wink: haha sorry just joking

O

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Reaction score
ok thank you so much
i figured an R-JTAG would be the option to go with and thanks for the websites i will check them out
i do have an LPT plug on one of my computers, however its not my computer and its from 2001 so it would probably be even slower but time really isn't a factor in this, i could just go play my other Xbox for an hour so i dont know what im gonna choose
i am moderately good and soldering, not an expert but im alright, it definitely not my first project so i should be alright but i will study the Tutorial pretty heavily to decide if i should go ahead and do it

Take your time and you should be good since you have some experience. If you don't mind waiting LPT works fine unless the computer is 64bit because finding the 64bit drivers is a PAIN and it is slower on 64bit computers. Since yours is from 2001 its probably not though.

H

ramsfan3068

Staff
Reaction score
ok thank you so much

hey, don't dog the rams, there time is coming:biggrin:

Z

zawata

Reaction score
Take your time and you should be good since you have some experience. If you don't mind waiting LPT works fine unless the computer is 64bit because finding the 64bit drivers is a PAIN and it is slower on 64bit computers. Since yours is from 2001 its probably not though.

alright then yeah im pretty sure it isn't so i think ill go with LPT because i think the J/R Programmer i heard was like 25 bucks and im not gonna dish out like $60 for a JTAG as im looking for a job(im 17) and i dont have that kind of money to throw around

Z

zawata

Reaction score
Yeah i did see that and i think that's what im gonna do
the fact that its 60 bucks makes me not very happy though
thanks

H

ramsfan3068

Staff
Reaction score
small price for an awesome rig