Need help removing Torx 8 screws

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by Bass0player, Nov 20, 2008 with 3 replies and 6,324 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bass0player

Bass0player Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Today I got my first red ring of death. I know what you're thinking, just use a towel...but I want to fix it for real (replace the awful solder that M$ used with some lead solder).

I've preserved my warranty sticker (fully intact) as a last resort.

So far I have opened my 360, removed the drive and fans, and cleaned it with compressed filtered air. I am stuck where I need to remove 3 T-8 screws from the power button area. I have looked all over my house, but all of the Torx sets I have only go down to t-10 (which all don't fit). I have tried various sized Phillips flatheads (from eyeglass repair kit) and 4 different allan wrench sets. The screws are not stripped...yet.

Is there anything that can be used as a substitute for a T-8? Keep in mind that I don't have replacements for these screws and need to put them back in when I'm finished. Any tips are appreciated. If worst comes to worst I'm going to cut a slit in them and screw them out with a flathead (But I really don't want to have to do this). I know torx sets are pretty cheap, but I'm not gonna go out and buy one.

2. TorMenT

TorMenT VIP VIP

Ratings:
    You can usually just go buy a t8 screw driver at an auto store, for pretty damn cheap. I know you didn't want to go out and buy one, but that's what I had to do.

3. OP
    Bass0player

Bass0player Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I ended up just buying a tool with a ton of small torx heads :mellow:

4. Shadoe

Shadoe Contributor

Ratings:
    Same exact thing I did. And thanks for posting in the correct section :biggrin:

CLOSED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.