Rubbing alcohol
Torx if its a wireless controller.
Phillips if its a wired controller.
Patience
Toxic Vinyl Paint, in a spray can form
Sand paper if you want to take down the gloss
Cardboard for painting
WELL VENTILATED AREA, TOXIC^^^^

I have painted well over 100+ controllers for friends at school and for myself.
One thing that irks most people, paint peeling or rubbing off. I have the solution;

No its not a clear coat, we all know deep down that clear coats add just that little bit off difference in feel and can feel slimy after a set amount of time. It also doesnt really protect against skuffs and scratches.

also the paint IS NEVER perfect. I had maybe one controller come to mind and I loved it, for FIVE minutes, one game of Gears and it was ruined.

The Solution;
Vinyl Paint, make sure it has the toxic absorbing dye in it.

When you paint with this stuff, it absorbs into the controller.

I will give you the basic of what to do. we will be discussing controllers for the 360

Step one, disassemble.
things you will need.
Thin Phillips screwdriver for Wired
Torx T8 screwdriver for wireless

Step two, DONT LOSE SCREWS AND BE CAREFUL, try to remember how you took it apart.
its pretty obvious though. Ziplocs are godsends

Step three, set aside the pieces you want to paint, I usually use just the white. its soft plastic and takes best.

Step four, wipe down the pieces wanting to paint to ensure proper taking of paint.

Step five, lay cardboard down outside for surface to paint on, make sure there is nothing important downwind, Including yourself retard.

Step six, Lay your pieces out, space between pieces is essential.

Step seven, Spray it down baby, do it slow and take your time. Make sure its even more than anything

Step eight, Dont rush anything. let it set. when its nice and dry and is firm, wipe it down again with alcohol.

Step nine, reassemble.
I usually take the top part of the controller and turn it upside down
Put the trigger portion in place
Then the headset piece in
Then make sure buttons and rubber pads line up
Finally the bottom part of the shell. Its easiest to screw center screw in first then cross form like you would a tire.

Also note, that the plastic gets very soft and CAN warp during cure time, be careful, also you can put markings and indents into plastic while it cures, just dont go overboard.

With Love,
Evo

Comrade

Comrade

Crusty Old Dude
Retired
Mythical Veteran Contest Sponsor Tutorial Creator
Reaction score
Sin$
No pics?

Are you sure this is yours seems like you copy it from something else

E

Evolutionz

Reaction score
Sin$
No pics?

Are you sure this is yours seems like you copy it from something else

I promise its mine. I typed it up here, I had to edit it a few times to make it sound right. Im so used to doing it, its weird telling people.

I will update with pictures later. My camera is with the fiance. I will also show how to put designs into shells with dremel.

S

Steeps5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Looks like another method I need to try. The last time I painted, my clear coat failed horribly and there are tons of marks in it. This does seem much easier than other methods of sanding, priming, multiple coats of paint, then clear coat. Too much hassle with all those. So I'm gonna get around to trying this and I'll post how it goes.

Top Bottom
Login
Register