• Views 5,583
rohly

rohly

rohly420
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey 5th Anniversary Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Shouldn't have bought that GPU. Also you only have 60Gb SSD and you will need more than that.

I

IRageQuitHard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Shouldn't have bought that GPU. Also you only have 60Gb SSD and you will need more than that.
Yeah as of right now, hard drive prices are slightly inflated so I will buy another hard drive in a few months.

Why not? Isn't it the best GPU for it's price?

Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
Sin$
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I

IRageQuitHard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
rohly

rohly

rohly420
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
So, what HDD would you recommend, and will my graphics card play BF3 at ultra settings? Mainly bought the card for that, and I'm not too sure on whether or not it can (pretty sure it can, though)
It may be able to. The 600 series just came out and you bought a 400. I'm not sure if it can run BF3 on ultra but it probably run on high. How long it will be able to run on high settings I do not know, but I would guess not long. Also it will bottleneck your CPU alot. Which is never good.

I

IRageQuitHard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It may be able to. The 600 series just came out and you bought a 400. I'm not sure if it can run BF3 on ultra but it probably run on high. How long it will be able to run on high settings I do not know, but I would guess not long. Also it will bottleneck your CPU alot. Which is never good.
What does "bottlenecking" do? Can't I just overclock the CPU?

InfectHead

InfectHead

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
End of the Year 2012 MotM Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
It may be able to. The 600 series just came out and you bought a 400. I'm not sure if it can run BF3 on ultra but it probably run on high.

da fuq you talking about bro? A GTX 480 > GTX 560 Ti, and we all know how good the 560 Ti is. The 480 will definitely be able to play on ultra above 50fps.

How long it will be able to run on high settings I do not know, but I would guess not long.

lulwut? If he can play a game on a particular setting now, he'll be able to play the same game with the same settings in 5 years (assuming the card hasn't died). Performance doesn't degrade like that.

Also it will bottleneck your CPU alot. Which is never good.

You've got it the wrong way around - it's typically a crappy CPU bottlenecking a good GPU. Although with the case of a GTX 480 and an i5-2500K, bottlenecking isn't an issue.

Habofro Habofro Just because a card has the best value/performance ratio, doesn't make it the optimal choice. The 6850 can't play ultra settings (BF3) with smooth fps (30+), so that's not the best choice. The GTX 480 has probably the best price/performance value for playing BF3 on ultra smoothly.

I IRageQuitHard Bottlenecking is basically the performance of one or more parts being "bottlenecked" (held back) because of a crappy part. Only very minuscule bottlenecking will happen with your build (every build is bottlenecked, by however much), so little that you won't ever notice it, so you're fine in that regards.

As for the SSD, a 60GB one is perfect as it is the lowest capacity that is capable of SATA III, and has a high enough capacity that you will be able to store your OS, most games and programs on.

7s Rudolph

7s Rudolph

7s Reindeer!
Chatty Kathy Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
You have a nice build going on but I noticed a thing with your GPU I recommend getting the GTX 560 Ti it can get your setting up there to play BF3 with higher setting than your 480 your getting. But that is my 2 cent into this conversation.

Other than that your computer like pretty dam well decent.

rohly

rohly

rohly420
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I was talking about with the improvement of games this card will not keep up. All cards won't be able to last but this card will most likely last a shorter amount than other cards. Personally I would have gone in the 500 or 600 series. But I guess for the price that was a good grab.

InfectHead

InfectHead

Reaction score
Sin$
I was talking about with the improvement of games this card will not keep up. All cards won't be able to last but this card will most likely last a shorter amount than other cards. Personally I would have gone in the 500 or 600 series. But I guess for the price that was a good grab.

Again, just because it is an older card doesn't make it worse. Heck, they're both based on the Fermi architecture, so the difference is minimal. I'll be able to last for at least another year, and in which case he can just get another one in SLI mode.

I

IRageQuitHard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So, this computer will work right? As in enough power and the right LGA socket? Lolol

TheJokerX47

Microsuck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Good luck with your 650W PSU.

You need at least 750W if you plan on doing anything worth doing.

TheJokerX47

Microsuck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Oh and if you're only getting a 60GB SSD, you should get a 750GB HDD to make up for the low storage space on your SSD.

InfectHead

InfectHead

Reaction score
Sin$
Good luck with your 650W PSU.

You need at least 750W if you plan on doing anything worth doing.
No.

8A8sO.png

I put in pretty much everything on his build, added 2 fans and even overclocked the CPU to 4GHz and it still doesn't reach 650W under 90% system load.

Here's the site btw: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

I IRageQuitHard

MillerLite

MillerLite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You're really just getting a solid state drive of 60GB for that? I'd recommend a HDD, in a nice size, to go along with it.

also 650Watts should be enough for that build (although i hate non modular PSU's). I wouldn't recommend paying the extra for the 750

Edit: In fact it might be worth downgrading a little bit to get a better processor, i6-i7 maybe. Optional, but defiantly worth it :smile:

InfectHead

InfectHead

Reaction score
Sin$
Yes.

I said anything worth doing. Please read.

Exactly my point. Even under 90% system load with the CPU OC"d to 4GHz it still doesn't reach 650W. And your average PC gaming won't even get close to 90%

Top Bottom
Login
Register